Australian TV - the best and the worst?

Wanderer Returns

Having recently cancelled Netflix because we hardly ever watched it, I've found myself for the first time watching Australian terrestrial TV on occasions. So far I've found one programme I find mildly-entertaining - the Australian Border Force - mostly because I can't believe the stuff people try and bring in here. There have also been a couple of interesting documentaries on SBS I've enjoyed. However, I tuned into a program the other night called the 'Masked Singer', which I sat through in disbelief as it probably has to be one of the most dire programme I've seen in the 21st century. And what's this obsession with the Big Bang Theory? It seems to be on at least one channel almost every day. If anyone has any recommendations of good things to watch on Aussie TV, then I'd be interested to know.

• Like 1

I love the masked singer.  I usually have no idea who the 'celebrities' are but I love the kitsch of it all.  I also like Masterchef and got sucked in to the last series of Australian Survivor (my OH would have it on) but I'm not a fan of other reality TV.

We don't watch a lot of terrestrial TV but I do like Rosehaven (which has just finished but may be available on ABC catch up), Have You Been Paying Attention and Gruen, which is about to start again.  I'll also watch the odd QI (which I know is not Australian but is shown here).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wanderer Returns said:

Having recently cancelled Netflix because we hardly ever watched it, I've found myself for the first time watching Australian terrestrial TV on occasions. So far I've found one programme I find mildly-entertaining - the Australian Border Force - mostly because I can't believe the stuff people try and bring in here. There have also been a couple of interesting documentaries on SBS I've enjoyed. However, I tuned into a program the other night called the 'Masked Singer', which I sat through in disbelief as it probably has to be one of the most dire programme I've seen in the 21st century. And what's this obsession with the Big Bang Theory? It seems to be on at least one channel almost every day. If anyone has any recommendations of good things to watch on Aussie TV, then I'd be interested to know.

I find the free catchup on SBS and ABC has some good series and films sometimes. I've seen adverts for that masked singer thing and it looks dire. Who told that Dave Hughes he was funny? Don't know who the other people are.

The new RFDS series has been OK and we record the SAS thing so we can skip through the adverts and padding. That program must have proffesional mental people squirming the way their "motivation" is dished out.

They told the Aborigine girl on there to "get out of the pity party". Thought I'll have to remember that one.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NicF said:

I love the masked singer.  I usually have no idea who the 'celebrities' are but I love the kitsch of it all.  I also like Masterchef and got sucked in to the last series of Australian Survivor (my OH would have it on) but I'm not a fan of other reality TV.

We don't watch a lot of terrestrial TV but I do like Rosehaven (which has just finished but may be available on ABC catch up), Have You Been Paying Attention and Gruen, which is about to start again.  I'll also watch the odd QI (which I know is not Australian but is shown here).

I think we may have to agree to disagree on the Masked Singer, but I've seen Have You Been Paying Attention a couple of times and thought that was pretty good - like an Australian version of Have I Got News For You, but less political.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

I find the free catchup on SBS and ABC has some good series and films sometimes. I've seen adverts for that masked singer thing and it looks dire. Who told that Dave Hughes he was funny? Don't know who the other people are.

The new RFDS series has been OK and we record the SAS thing so we can skip through the adverts and padding. That program must have proffesional mental people squirming the way their "motivation" is dished out.

They told the Aborigine girl on there to "get out of the pity party". Thought I'll have to remember that one.

This guy 'Hughsie' seems to pop up on everything. I just do not get what people see in him!

• Like 3

First of all I’d better admit I’m a bit thick, but I pressed the home button on the hand control and there were all these options of shows to watch? We do have Foxtel and can log onto our sons Netflix and Stan, so someone will probably tell me that’s why. As a result have been watching the UK series Vigil, really recommend it, have one episode left to watch.

I don’t watch much terrestrial TV, watch admit to watching a bit of morning tv, and the local news, enjoy weekender and keep meaning to visit the places mentioned ! I really enjoy the foreign serials on SBS, Don’t enjoy much Australian drama, they always seem to be trying too hard. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Yes, nothing stellar but an easy watch.  I'm looking forward to the new series, "Fires" on the ABC.  Currently watching The Newsreader which is good too.  

Lots of stuff on ABC iview and SBS On Demand.

I enjoyed the Newsreader. Thought the last episode of RFDS was a bit of a let down.  

I realise the following is a bit off thread.

I think the real RFDS is a wonderful service, especially as we were involved  once. We were on a mini bus travelling from Birdsville to somewhere ( can’t remember) on a dirt road. Came across someone who had come off his motorbike and injured. Had a Dr on board luckily who diagnosed broken bones, carefully got him on board, RFDS notified, plus the nearest farm that was over 90 minutes away where the plane would land. The plane landed shortly after we arrived, and patient taken to hospital. Even though I lived in Africa, it really bought home to me, the vastness of this country, and the reliance of people in the outback on this medical service.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 3

Australian TV is appalling and has been ever since I arrived in 2004. If you don't like "reality" shows or re-runs of cop/fireman/doctor drama shows from America then there is nothing for you. My TV goes on for a bit of sport or movies (way too many adverts but what can you do?).

If I didn't have Netflix my TV would probably be in someone else's house because it would be redundant in mine

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ramot said:

First of all I’d better admit I’m a bit thick, but I pressed the home button on the hand control and there were all these options of shows to watch? We do have Foxtel and can log onto our sons Netflix and Stan, so someone will probably tell me that’s why. As a result have been watching the UK series Vigil, really recommend it, have one episode left to watch.

I don’t watch much terrestrial TV, watch admit to watching a bit of morning tv, and the local news, enjoy weekender and keep meaning to visit the places mentioned ! I really enjoy the foreign serials on SBS, Don’t enjoy much Australian drama, they always seem to be trying too hard. 

Vigil is on my planner to start watching this weekend.  I’ve heard it’s very good. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

It is dreadful stuff.  You want to watch some of these Channel 7 game shows they put on, we've treated them as comedy shows and howled through them. We watched something earlier in the year called Ultimate Tag...basically a game of tig but they gave people costumes and names like Arrow, and Dominator....  A pandemic audience of about 100 people, and canned cheering being played over the top even though you see the audience was bored stiff.  It was so funny, but disappeared after a few shows never to be seen again.

The UK-imported drama shows are very good, but you can probably get them a lot earlier elsewhere.

To be honest, I watch Sky News UK over Youtube more than anything, Sky News Australia is absolute garbage and full of dross

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

I think it's pretty dire overall. Rarely anything worth watching, and when there is, the adverts really grate. I've got into "Forged In Fire" (SBS on demand - still has mind-numbing adverts but not too many and I just mute them) which is very theraputic in the current climate (depending on your location though!) - it's not cerebral, is repetative, but there's something soothing about it all. I do dip into the border-force and, like yourself, am drawn to it with a feeling of disbelief on the things people try to bring in 🙂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, billynomates said:

I think it's pretty dire overall. Rarely anything worth watching, and when there is, the adverts really grate. I've got into "Forged In Fire" (SBS on demand - still has mind-numbing adverts but not too many and I just mute them) which is very theraputic in the current climate (depending on your location though!) - it's not cerebral, is repetative, but there's something soothing about it all. I do dip into the border-force and, like yourself, am drawn to it with a feeling of disbelief on the things people try to bring in 🙂

You know it's bad when some of the adverts are better than the programmes!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ramot said:

I enjoyed the Newsreader. Thought the last episode of RFDS was a bit of a let down.  

I realise the following is a bit off thread.

I think the real RFDS is a wonderful service, especially as we were involved  once. We were on a mini bus travelling from Birdsville to somewhere ( can’t remember) on a dirt road. Came across someone who had come off his motorbike and injured. Had a Dr on board luckily who diagnosed broken bones, carefully got him on board, RFDS notified, plus the nearest farm that was over 90 minutes away where the plane would land. The plane landed shortly after we arrived, and patient taken to hospital. Even though I lived in Africa, it really bought home to me, the vastness of this country, and the reliance of people in the outback on this medical service.

My wifes Mum and Dad had a bad accident in Augusta the first time they visited us. They wrote our car off, wasn't their fault and had to be flown back to Perth by RFDS. They were great. MIL was badly injured and was in Shenton Park for about 6 weeks.

The guy that ran into them was an American working for Rio. He was very sorry but Rio shipped him out before he faced charges here. He was driving on the wrong side of the road in a big rio 4 wheel drive.

They got a payout years later but my MIL's arms and back were never the same.

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

You know it's bad when some of the adverts are better than the programmes!

I think that Australian Television is just about dead. Its obvious that, there are fewer and fewer "TV" people, in the industry.  They have been replaced by advertising hacks and geeks who prefer to sell us products rather than entertainment. These advertising types know exactly what to flog according to the demographic that is tuned into a particular program.  Dumb shows flog needless stupid products to people who will fall over themselves to buy. Of course there are the odd gems on TV but they are rare.

Agree that "Hughsie" is about as funny as acute appendicitis. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

It's worth remembering that Australia has a third of the population of the UK, and therefore only a third of the advertising revenue to pay for the production of TV programmes.  That's the main reason why there's such a heavy reliance on US and UK programmes.  

I've never understood why there are so many channels, surely living in an outdoor country and viewer competition ought to have killed some off?   Some of the programmes are so bad it's almost as they're setup just to show the adverts.....like that one with all the drink drivers undergoing breath tests, they must have 7 advert breaks in 30 minutes.

I've always liked the idea of who named Channel 7TWO however.  They must have thought "that is a really crap name, we must do better with the next channel.  How about 7MATE.  Yeah, that's perfect.

Edited by Robert Dyson
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

My wifes Mum and Dad had a bad accident in Augusta the first time they visited us. They wrote our car off, wasn't their fault and had to be flown back to Perth by RFDS. They were great. MIL was badly injured and was in Shenton Park for about 6 weeks.

The guy that ran into them was an American working for Rio. He was very sorry but Rio shipped him out before he faced charges here. He was driving on the wrong side of the road in a big rio 4 wheel drive.

They got a payout years later but my MIL's arms and back were never the same.

Have you seen in the news about the Harry Dunn case?  It’s been going on a while now but similar to what you’ve said.  He was a 19 year old driving in the UK, lived near an US air base.  A women living on that airbase had recently arrived there from the US and hit Harry as she was driving on the wrong side of the road.  She was flown back to the US very quickly claiming diplomatic immunity.  She’s been officially charged now but will never be forced back to the UK to face trial.  His parents still continue their fight for justice.  It’s hard to believe a young life can be lost and someone get away with it.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Robert Dyson said:

I've never understood why there are so many channels

There is some stupid reason. I forget the details but it's something about the government releasing bandwidth (that may not be the right term for it!)  and all the TV channels wanted to grab several for future use.    However, the rules are that if you don't use them, you have to hand them back.  So they play any old rubbish rather than lose them. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

Have you seen in the news about the Harry Dunn case?  It’s been going on a while now but similar to what you’ve said.  He was a 19 year old driving in the UK, lived near an US air base.  A women living on that airbase had recently arrived there from the US and hit Harry as she was driving on the wrong side of the road.  She was flown back to the US very quickly claiming diplomatic immunity.  She’s been officially charged now but will never be forced back to the UK to face trial.  His parents still continue their fight for justice.  It’s hard to believe a young life can be lost and someone get away with it.  

Yep, I've seen that. In our case it was Rio that shipped the guy back pretty quick. The in laws got a payout from the state insurance but years later. Nothing happened to the guy who caused the accident.

4 hours ago, Marisawright said:

It's worth remembering that Australia has a third of the population of the UK, and therefore only a third of the advertising revenue to pay for the production of TV programmes.  That's the main reason why there's such a heavy reliance on US and UK programmes.  

Agreed. Nobody has to watch TV. But tell that to the ABC.

Down there at 700 Harris Street Ultimo, just marginally out of the Sydney CBD, is ABC HQ Australia.  I notice lately that the ABC is very much an outlet for the BBC and other UK programs. The budget cuts to the ABC actually works well for people like us, namely taxpayers, and there is a whole lot of programs, to enjoy good BBC and other British programs as well as other programs from around the world, as well as apolitical local programmes.

The greater volume of ABC, which provide reasonably good middle-of-the road programs, is no longer wasting my tax dollar as much as it was several years ago. I am not anti ABC generally, I am being entertained, and at the same time, I do not expect that my tax dollar comes with a consistent theme of "how to vote for a Labor Government"  Over the last 5 years or so I have had to pay less for programs related to the usual left wing, loony, victim-based rubbish by people who have never paid taxes to keep the precious ABC on air.

The only time I, and anyone else that I know of, watches ABC, is the ABC Kids channel. My grandchildren ( who are little kids) and I, when we get together, we watch Play School, Moon and Me, Teletubbies. and Bluey, together.  Then it becomes, around midday,  a competition between me and them as to who falls asleep first😎 

Edited by Dusty Plains
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dusty Plains said:

Down there at 700 Harris Street Ultimo, just marginally out of the Sydney CBD, is ABC HQ Australia.  I notice lately that the ABC is very much an outlet for the BBC and other UK programs. The budget cuts to the ABC actually works well for people like us, namely taxpayers, and there is a whole lot of programs, to enjoy good BBC and other British programs as well as other programs from around the world, as well as apolitical local programmes.

The greater volume of ABC, which provide reasonably good middle-of-the road programs, is no longer wasting my tax dollar as much as it was several years ago. I am not anti ABC generally, I am being entertained, and at the same time, I do not expect that my tax dollar comes with a consistent theme of "how to vote for a Labor Government"  Over the last 5 years or so I have had to pay less for programs related to the usual left wing, loony, victim-based rubbish by people who have never paid taxes to keep the precious ABC on air.

The only time I, and anyone else that I know of, watches ABC, is the ABC Kids channel. My grandchildren ( who are little kids) and I, when we get together, we watch Play School, Moon and Me, Teletubbies. and Bluey, together.  Then it becomes, around midday,  a competition between me and them as to who falls asleep first😎 

You haven’t watched the ABC for some time then as they  sacked all the good journalists and replaced them with ex Sky/Murdoch hacks.  One only has to watch Insiders hosted by David Speers to know that Ita Buttrose did the job the govt asked her to do.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

The only time I, and anyone else that I know of, watches ABC, is the ABC Kids channel. My grandchildren ( who are little kids) and I, when we get together, we watch Play School, Moon and Me, Teletubbies. and Bluey, together.  Then it becomes, around midday, a competition between me and them as to who falls asleep first😎 

This is also my sentiment, although when I returned to Australia 18 months ago after 5 years in the UK I noticed that the diversity agenda is now being pushed far more explicitly, as it is on the BBC. I think the ABC just copy what the BBC is doing, to be honest. I've nothing against diversity but I don't think every show needs to have a Black, White, Asian, and a non-binary person to make it interesting.

5 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

This is also my sentiment, although when I returned to Australia 18 months ago after 5 years in the UK I noticed that the diversity agenda is now being pushed far more explicitly, as it is on the BBC. I think the ABC just copy what the BBC is doing, to be honest. I've nothing against diversity but I don't think every show needs to have a Black, White, Asian, and a non-binary person to make it interesting.

The attempts at diversity are nonsense. Only about 5% of the population of Australia (including First Nations people) are black. So technically if you have a cast of 20 and one of them is black that show has appropriate diversity - but if you have a cast of 19 or less and one of them is black then they would be over-represented but if you didn't have any they would be under-represented. How are you supposed to get the balance right? Are you banned from having from two black people on the same show because it doesn't match the statistics?

• Like 1

The show's I've been watching recently include Vigil (Foxtel), War of the Worlds (SBS), The Newsreader (ABC), Traces (ABC) and Question Everything (ABC). I'm a fan of both Shaun Micallef's Mad as Hell and the Weekly with Charlie Pickering but they're not on at the moment. Gruen will be back soon though.

Although I've listed it I'm not actually very impressed with the 2nd series of War of the the Worlds - can't make up my mind if the scriptwriters are idiots or they are trying to subtly demonstrate that what we are seeing is a parallel earth - one which is demonstrably more technically advanced because they've develop insulin that doesn't need refrigeration but demonstrably less technically advanced because they still use bottles and syringes to deliver insulin (something I haven't seen in the last quarter of a century).

• Like 1