Ship Master Immigration and COR by AMSA

CaptainN

Good Day all,

Anyone appearing for Ship Master's COR from AMSA in coming months.

I have given my documents for skills assessment from India. Can someone guide me on the next step after getting positive skills assessment.

1) Can I apply for EOI for 491 visa after obtaining positive skills assessment or I need to appear for my COR orals prior that. If so should I apply for a visitor visa first in order to arrive 

and give orals.

2) How are orals exam for Master's COR, I got my Indian master mariner COC in 2018 and is presently sailing as a master on container ship. 

Appearing for a Master's exam again even though I am sailing as a Master mariner is really awkward. It would be a great help if someone can share  the kind of questions being asked.

Is there any WhatsApp group for orals preparations which I can join.

• Like 1

You will apply submit your documents for assessment, then you need to sit the AMSA Oral and Medical, then you get a letter which you can use to apply for the visa. Once you have the visa you can then submit that to AMSA and they will issue your CoR. Some AMSA exams are being held virtually at the moment, which may prevent the need for you to travel to Oz for them. 

The orals are comprehensive and similar to an AMSA Master CoC exam, no concession for experience. They work through a checklist going through Australian legislation, buoys and RoR.

Edited by CaptainR

Thanks CaptainR for your response. 

Can you guide me which checklist they use to conduct oral exam. What I could find on AMSA website is checklist for COR https://www.amsa.gov.au/qualifications-training/international-qualifications/deck-and-engineer-certificates-recognition and syllabus here is much lesser than syllabus for Master COC exam.

I was going through the other threads where someone appeared for COR exam and surveyor showed him a checklist containing Section A,B & C , and there is no room for mistake in answers for section A, but unable to find any checklist containing same. May be they have changed the checklist now. 

• 2 months later...

Hi Captain R

Cleared my orals few days back. And yes, orals was actually a detailed one, mine lasted for over 3 hrs. Syllabus basically covers everything including australian legislation, ship handling, emergencies and buoyage system. Thank you so much for your advice.

Now I am waiting for the skills assessment letter from AMSA. Can you advice how much time do they normally take for issuing the letter. I think without it I cant register my EOI.

I cleared my orals on 15th Nov 2021 and still waiting for the assessment letter.

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, sukhchain said:

Hii Capt. R,

I am also looking for giving AMSA orals for COR.

can u please share ur number with me . somehow I am unable to message you privately, so replying to this thread.

I think you need to do 3 posts and then you can message direct. Reply to me on here, that will be your 3rd post and then try to message. I’m not sure capt r will be handing his number out willy nilly. 😊

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Good day all,

Going for skill assessment from AMSA for my Master's license (Indian). Kindly guide or provide links for complete procedure.

1. List of documents required by AMSA

2. Sea time for Master shall be counted after obtaining Master's license, kindly confirm.

3. For calculating sea time, shall i forward my sea experience from 2nd mate license onwards or just Master license experience shall do, please clarify.

4. Time required by AMSA for assessment.

Thanks for reading.

Appreciate your help.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/06/2022 at 17:40, MasterMarinerS87 said:

Good day all,

Going for skill assessment from AMSA for my Master's license (Indian). Kindly guide or provide links for complete procedure.

1. List of documents required by AMSA

2. Sea time for Master shall be counted after obtaining Master's license, kindly confirm.

3. For calculating sea time, shall i forward my sea experience from 2nd mate license onwards or just Master license experience shall do, please clarify.

4. Time required by AMSA for assessment.

Thanks for reading.

Appreciate your help.

Hii,

1. Documents as per AMSA form 12(All STCW courses,Bsc degree & mark sheets, CDC,PP, master licence)

2. Seatime calculated since 2nd mates time.(Rest final work experience shall be mentioned in COR issued by AMSA)

3. Forward seatime since cadetship to AMSA.

4. should be max around 1.5 months.

Rest any doubts u can call AMSA connect or mail them up, they do respond to queries.

Orals conducted online at presents better start preparing once u send ur docs for assessment itself.

Hope this helps.

Edited by sukhchain
Typo error

2 hours ago, MasterMarinerS87 said:

Dear all,

Appreciate if you could advise the "email address" for sending documents in order to obtain skill assessment from AMSA.

Thanks.

All the details are on their website: https://www.amsa.gov.au/forms/assessment-overseas-qualifications-purposes-migration-application 

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys, quick query. 

My AMSA skills assessment currently underway, Canberra already have all documentation in hand. 

I am a British Ship Master, currently working on offshore vessels and not really intending to work in Australia immediately, planning to relocate with my partner & son. I plan to continue with my present employer out with Australia where I am quite happy. My partners sister(British full Australian resident) & my brother in law (Australian) live in Perth WA where we plan to relocate all going well. 

Is our profession still open for the 491 visa at this time either through Regional work list or family sponsorship? If not, how often does this status change and is it worthwhile travelling on the 12 month visitor visa until such times as things open. Any help / advice would be appreciated. 

On 22/06/2022 at 09:55, paulhand said:

All the details are on their website: https://www.amsa.gov.au/forms/assessment-overseas-qualifications-purposes-migration-application 

Hi Paul @paulhand

As per my post above, I take it my steps would be as follows; Skills Assessment, COR, EOI. Then just wait on WA govt handing out visas? Is there a long winded way with the family sponsorship route? Are you available for a consultation?  Cheers in advance. 

@pond-hopper, as per present WA immigration criteria, 491 Visa priority is being given to persons living in WA , then to person living in Australia and after that to person living outside Australia.

So file your visa accordingly, considering your location while applying.

For family sponsorship visa, I have no information. sorry about that.

Good luck & all the best.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pond-hopper said:

Thanks for the information, will likely apply for the visa / EOI once in Australia on the visitor visa whilst continuing in my employment overseas. Hopefully being in WA, albeit as a tourist will aid the application. Cheers

On a tourist visa, you are not a resident, so it confers no advantage.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pond-hopper said:

Hi @Marisawright , so how does the above work? How would someone require a 491 Visa priority if already living in Australia?

If they were on, for example, a temporary work visa, a graduate visa or a working holiday visa and wanted to gain permanent residence. The WA (and some other) state migration teams take the view that if someone is already in-state and working, they have demonstrated both commitment to the state and employability. This makes them a better, and better known, prospect for a limited resource. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, paulhand said:

If they were on, for example, a temporary work visa, a graduate visa or a working holiday visa and wanted to gain permanent residence. The WA (and some other) state migration teams take the view that if someone is already in-state and working, they have demonstrated both commitment to the state and employability. This makes them a better, and better known, prospect for a limited resource. 

Ok Thanks for that. In my situation, working overseas (outside Australia), is there any scope to be allowed to stay in Australia and pay tax on that income? I would have thought this may be seen as a commitment to the state also? Is there a visa class you think could be achievable given my, and my families circumstances?

7 hours ago, pond-hopper said:

Ok Thanks for that. In my situation, working overseas (outside Australia), is there any scope to be allowed to stay in Australia and pay tax on that income? I would have thought this may be seen as a commitment to the state also? Is there a visa class you think could be achievable given my, and my families circumstances?

Sounds like you are at the point where you need a consultation with Paul.  https://www.suncoastmigration.com/contact-us

• Like 1