Citizenship by descent - Application document help

emmajane0429

I am an Australian citizen by descent and  living in the UK. I am trying to apply for citizenship by descent for my children under 10 years old. They are asking me for this:

Documents about residency in Australia

If your parent became an Australian citizen by descent or by adoption, provide evidence that they have spent 2 years lawfully in Australia, such as:

• school records
  • employment records
  • any documents issued by an Australian government agency

If you do not have any evidence of your parent having resided in Australia you can contact the National Archives of Australia.

You will not need to give us this if you have always been stateless.

I did not go to school in Australia, although i lived there for a number of years I have no other records or documents for any of this time. I have had a look of the National archives but have no idea what to look for on there.

Also second question, as i have 2 children it appeared to me that i would be applyi ng for them both on the same application as you get a discount for the second child but the application has just asked for names of any siblings and no further details. Do i need to start a new application for my second child.

Oh and third question, my partner (a uk citizen) needs to apply for the partner visa, are we best to wait until we have the citizenship for or children before applying for his visa or can we do them all at the same time.

Any advice would be welcome

Have you a TFN and can give details of your employment? You can actually apply to ask for details of your residence - we did this when proving that we had been out of Australia for a period for health insurance. I'm sure you can Google it but I will check and see if I still have a copy of the form

13 hours ago, emmajane0429 said:

Thanks for your reply, yes i did have a TFN but have no record of it. I have just applied for my movemnet records do you think i could just submit that to prove that i was in the country?

No idea but they accept movement records to verify residence for health insurance purposes so it's a good start.  If you call the ATO they should be able to tell your TFN - assume you will have done a tax return in that time. 

Edited to say, in response to your last question above, spouse visa have recently been issued quite quickly - around the 4-6 month mark so it all depends on when you think you might want to be moving as to when you want to apply for it - assume it will take 12 months and anything less well be a bonus and anything more a pain in the bum.

Edited by Quoll

You can phone the tax office and answer some identity questions, and they'll tell you what your TFN is.  You might as well, since you're going to need it anyway. 

If you don't fancy hanging on the phone for hours,  you can fill in a TFN application and when they check their records and discover you've already got one, they'll send it to you (however i have no idea how long that would take).

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Tax-File-Number/Apply-for-a-TFN/

Re partner visa - currently they're being processed in a few months, but normally it takes around 12 months to go through, and times could easily blow out again if the borders start to open.  

Edited by Marisawright