The truth on Perth?!

TheBs

20 minutes ago, Parley said:

Often it is their personality Toots. Some people are naturally very negative of everything.

They will ignore the 80% good and harp on and on about the 20% bad.

These people are very draining to those of us who are more upbeat by nature.

Why should that be so   ? Not reading views contrary to one's own or complaining about it is surely just as complaining in not wanting to read what don't agree with?

2 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

I quite enjoy them. I find a lot of posters who slag Perth off have never been here or not been for years. Some just picked a bad suburb to live and then say the whole of WA is like that suburb.

That's exactly what I was trying to say, then HappyHeart scolded me for daring to suggest Perth had any bad suburbs. 

In fact I seem to remember a story you told about meeting some chap who'd lived in a "bad suburb" of Perth for years, he came to your suburb and was astonished at what a great lifestyle you had.  

2 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

That's exactly what I was trying to say, then HappyHeart scolded me for daring to suggest Perth had any bad suburbs. 

In fact I seem to remember a story you told about meeting some chap who'd lived in a "bad suburb" of Perth for years, he came to your suburb and was astonished at what a great lifestyle you had.  

Some people prefer their take on things not to be clouded by things they would prefer not to hear. I suppose natural enough even if not giving the entire picture.  In my case bought it what at least I considered was a decent inner city suburb, minus  the usual inner city issues, populated by a considerable number of ageing Italian migrants, since sold up and moved on one way or another, to be replaced by a mixed bag with intent on adapting other methods of enrichment. I would suggest 'bad' suburbs are something else. 

1 hour ago, Blue Flu said:

Some people prefer their take on things not to be clouded by things they would prefer not to hear. I suppose natural enough even if not giving the entire picture.  In my case bought it what at least I considered was a decent inner city suburb, minus  the usual inner city issues, populated by a considerable number of ageing Italian migrants, since sold up and moved on one way or another, to be replaced by a mixed bag with intent on adapting other methods of enrichment. I would suggest 'bad' suburbs are something else. 

Why did you select Perth?  Serious question.  

9 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

Why should that be so   ? Not reading views contrary to one's own or complaining about it is surely just as complaining in not wanting to read what don't agree with?

It's a bit like when someone doesn't like marmite. I get it. They don't like marmite. I do like marmite. I much prefer Vegemite. But marmite will do fine.

I can tell them they should have it with butter, spread it thinly, try it with peanut butter, or, the ultimate, on toasted sourdough, with butter and a poached egg with fresh basil.

But at the end of the day, if you really don't like marmite, then no amount of persuasion on my part is going to change your mind.

But also, I really don't need to know that you don't like marmite. As I said before, I get it. Move on. Let other people decide for themselves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheBs said:

Out of interest, is there this much difference of opinion on the other states? Or is it just Perth that has everyone so divided? 

It's Perth, and Darwin too.  There's a lot of rivalry between the other capital cities (Sydneysiders will slag off Melbourne and vice versa), but nowhere else gets that "love it or loathe it" reaction that Perth and Darwin get. 

I think it is distance.  On the Eastern side of Australia, people travel frequently from one state to another for holidays or business.  The big cities are only an hour or so from each other on a plane, and flights are often cheap.  You can drive from Sydney to Melbourne or from Brisbane to Sydney in a day, and people do it all the time. 

But Perth?  It's a 3 or 4 hour flight to the other capitals, and it's bloody expensive. Drive and it'll take you three days.  If you're, say, a Sydneysider who's used to flying up to the Whitsundays for a weekend or driving over to Canberra for exhibitions, you move to Perth and suddenly it's all too far away and too expensive.  If you're a Pom who's used to short hops to Europe for  a bargain weekend, there's no equivalent.   Everywhere outside WA is hours away on expensive flights. 

Of course if you're not a traveler, it's not an issue. If you're the kind of person who doesn't travel most of the year and then goes on one big holiday overseas, it's not an issue. You're not going to understand what the fuss is about.  Hence the difference in reactions.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, newjez said:

It's a bit like when someone doesn't like marmite. I get it. They don't like marmite. I do like marmite. I much prefer Vegemite. But marmite will do fine.

I can tell them they should have it with butter, spread it thinly, try it with peanut butter, or, the ultimate, on toasted sourdough, with butter and a poached egg with fresh basil.

But at the end of the day, if you really don't like marmite, then no amount of persuasion on my part is going to change your mind.

But also, I really don't need to know that you don't like marmite. As I said before, I get it. Move on. Let other people decide for themselves.

But it's not that I don't 'like' Perth, people will obviously decide for themselves, but am fully within rules to point out short comings as well as where I find myself. People deserve the entire picture not just the censored version surely? Besides  If the question is posed feelings about Marmite then that will be addressed accordingly. Akin to the truth about Perth, I suppose. What's the old saying? The truth can hurt?  Well perceptions certainly appear to whip up a storm in a tea cup on this forum around this subject. 

1 hour ago, TheBs said:

Out of interest, is there this much difference of opinion on the other states? Or is it just Perth that has everyone so divided? 

I suspect the remote nature of the place has always contributed towards its detractors and supporters. It's a question that has been asked on here before. WA in per cent terms has long had the highest number of UK born immigrants. Hence more chance of varied opinions on the matter. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Marisawright said:

It's Perth, and Darwin too.  There's a lot of rivalry between the other capital cities (Sydneysiders will slag off Melbourne and vice versa), but nowhere else gets that "love it or loathe it" reaction that Perth and Darwin get. 

I think it is distance.  On the Eastern side of Australia, people travel frequently from one state to another for holidays or business.  The big cities are only an hour or so from each other on a plane, and flights are often cheap.  You can drive from Sydney to Melbourne or from Brisbane to Sydney in a day, and people do it all the time. 

But Perth?  It's a 3 or 4 hour flight to the other capitals, and it's bloody expensive. Drive and it'll take you three days.  If you're, say, a Sydneysider who's used to flying up to the Whitsundays for a weekend or driving over to Canberra for exhibitions, you move to Perth and suddenly it's all too far away and too expensive.  If you're a Pom who's used to short hops to Europe for  a bargain weekend, there's no equivalent.   Everywhere outside WA is hours away on expensive flights. 

Of course if you're not a traveler, it's not an issue. If you're the kind of person who doesn't travel most of the year and then goes on one big holiday overseas, it's not an issue. You're not going to understand what the fuss is about.  Hence the difference in reactions.

Over the years I've noticed Melbourne can be quite polarising as well, I think partly due to the climate. Some cant handle the dark cold winters while others rave about the abundance of activities and livability of the city. Horse for courses I suppose.

9 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Thanks @Marisa that's actually really useful to know and add to considerations.

• Like 1

On 05/09/2021 at 11:29, Marisawright said:

No, he lived in quite a nice suburb not that far away, Kingsley. Just that he'd never been to the pub by the beach where, that particular night, had a really good band on, the place was packed and a real party atmosphere.

He'd had a few beers and said he was thinking of moving. He wouldn't have had to move far.😄

11 hours ago, TheBs said:

I've been lucky enough to travel a lot with work and seen a lot of Aus. There are places I've visited that you wouldn't consider to emigrate to that have been brilliant and some that I thought would be nice and turned out not to be.

Don't like Kalgoorlie one bit, same goes for Toowoomba, Sale, Alice Springs. 

I've seen a few negative posts about Darwin but visit Darwin in our winter and it's brilliant. Being there in the wet season, trying to work, not so much.

Townsville a bit the same, lovely place in the right season.

Sydney is fatastic to visit on work money, staying in decent hotels, eating wherever you feel like and working on Garden Island, where you can walk to work from the hotel, brilliant. Love the hussle and bussle for a couple of weeks, walk or public transport everywhere though, driving's a nightmare. Plenty of good pubs and restaurants, spectacular scenery, great botanic gardens that seem peaceful for a run after a day at work. After a couple of weeks I'm glad to get home. 

Melbourne suits a lot of people but doesn't have anything close to the City that would make me want to live there.

So yeh, people have opinions on everywhere. I think Perth gets a lot of threads and questions because it's still poms paradise and affordable for emigrants, by comparison.

10 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Must be nice to be a Sydneysider who can afford to pop up to the Whitsundays for a weekend. You make it sound cheap, it's not. 

Even the driving up to Queensland is not exactly close is it and flying is still a drag, getting to airports, baggage checks, hotel costs. Great if you're wealthy and don't have to work. 

Then there's normal people.

On 05/09/2021 at 08:46, Blue Flu said:

I don't think any have posted what I have related or attempted to into what is going on is a deep matter of concern. The fact remains, if so many do repeat various negativities then it poses the question Is there something in it? Some issues being expressed my well be of interest to those that have never been exposed to contrary views. The big question to my mind, is why those that love all things Perth regardless should feel they have the right to constantly voice the virtues, but those on the other side are not entitled the same consideration? You'll never read me saying I'm sick of people expressing the virtues of Perth  and the like, so why should it get so upsetting for the other side? 

I think it's essential to have both sides of the coin to give a balanced view, however, I do find it frustrating when some of the loudest voices about Perth being a terrible place to live have never actually lived here.  

• Like 1

On 31/08/2021 at 04:25, TheBs said:

Hi we've researched areas, and our head chose Perth as well as other benefits the deciding factor was due to its proximity to Bali where we have family and we also have family in Perth so figured a friendly face would help us settle.

HOWEVER....

I''ve just come off a comment section from another site where I don't think in 20 comments I read a single positive about Perth! 

Anyone live there that can give me their honest opinion, as most of the comments I read basically said WA was money obsessed, had a  work till you die ethic, racist, misogynistic and cliquey with nowhere to go and nothing to do!! 

I'm shocked and need reassuring 😅

I have to say that that quote - "money obsessed, work till you die ethic, racist,  misogynistic, cliquey, nowhere to go, and nothing to do" sounds like the ultimate in whingeing Pommieness (sic). For a start, houses are expensive wherever you live,  along with all the other expenses so "money obsessed and work till you die" is nothing unusual.  All the other whinges are subjective. 

I don't live in Perth though it was where I first set foot in OZ 43 years ago and I loved it. I couldn't get a job though and I ended up in Sydney.

I went to Perth for two long holidays totalling 13 weeks in Dec/Jan 17/18 and May 18. I thought about moving there but ultimately I thought that having family and long standing friends  in Sydney made sense to stay in Sydney. 

For what it's worth I liked Perth. I wasn't bored there and the same activities I like to do in Sydney were all there in Perth. I found suburbs which I liked with cafes and pubs and restaurants.  Perth is far more pleasant than Sydney to drive in as there is less traffic and outside of the peak hours relatively quiet.  Sydney is busy all day every day.

Go with an open mind and see if you like it. It's remote from Sydney and Melbourne but on the other hand it is closer to Europe and parts of Asia. You can't fly direct one stop to London from Sydney or Melbourne. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

Go with an open mind and see if you like it. It's remote from Sydney and Melbourne but on the other hand it is closer to Europe and parts of Asia. You can't fly direct one stop to London from Sydney or Melbourne. 

Very soon you will be able to. It is a key priority for Qantas. Just need the plane to be able to do it. Within the next year or so it will be possible. So i wouldn't worry about that.

Whether you want a 20 hour non stop flight is a different question I suppose.

• Like 1

On 06/09/2021 at 17:49, ali said:

I think it's essential to have both sides of the coin to give a balanced view, however, I do find it frustrating when some of the loudest voices about Perth being a terrible place to live have never actually lived here.  

I tend to agree. Although a visit would allow an impression favourable or otherwise , it does not hold the currency of actually living in Perth. What is sad about Perth is what is going on behind the scenes. Then again I cannot claim that Perth is alone in that. But it is the place I know about and experience a sense of frustration in being less than successful in influencing events.   

2 hours ago, Parley said:

Very soon you will be able to. It is a key priority for Qantas. Just need the plane to be able to do it. Within the next year or so it will be possible. So i wouldn't worry about that.

Whether you want a 20 hour non stop flight is a different question I suppose.

17 hour flight or 20 hour flight? I would hate to do either but 17 hours would be preferable. 

Perth's "isolation" is only a problem if you need to travel to the "Eastern States" on a regular basis and you don't like the length of the flights. 

You'd have the same "problem" living in LA or Vancouver regarding the distance to the Eastern Seaboard,  or from Hawaii to the Western Seaboard.

This eleven week and counting lockdown in Sydney has been onerous to me because I can't walk 100 metres to my local pubs, cafes and restaurants,  not because I can't go 600 miles to Melbourne or 2,500 miles to Perth.

I'd rather be isolated in Perth than living in Sydney at the moment too.

On 06/09/2021 at 19:10, Paul1Perth said:

Must be nice to be a Sydneysider who can afford to pop up to the Whitsundays for a weekend. You make it sound cheap, it's not. 

Even the driving up to Queensland is not exactly close is it and flying is still a drag, getting to airports, baggage checks, hotel costs. Great if you're wealthy and don't have to work. 

Then there's normal people.

Now that is just rude. Can't you just respect that some people enjoy different lifestyles?   When I was working full-time, I used to drive up to Queensland a couple of times a year, it's just a day's drive.  And of course, lots of places to holiday along the way if you prefer (I had close friends that I visited).  Bagged a bargain flight up to the resorts for short breaks several times too - lots of them around because it's only an hour or two on the plane.  

I've often said I wouldn't live in Perth, and that's not just based on visits - it's based on my niece having lived there for several months, and I now she and I are very alike.  But on the other hand, I always point out that I know families from Sydney who have moved to Perth and love it. Thank goodness different people like different lifestyles or we'd all be huddled together in one city.

Edited by Marisawright

13 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Now that is just rude. Can't you just respect that some people enjoy different lifestyles?   When I was working full-time, I used to drive up to Queensland a couple of times a year, it's just a day's drive.  And of course, lots of places to holiday along the way if you prefer (I had close friends that I visited).  Bagged a bargain flight up to the resorts for short breaks several times too - lots of them around because it's only an hour or two on the plane.  

I've often said I wouldn't live in Perth, and that's not just based on visits - it's based on my niece having lived there for several months, and I now she and I are very alike.  But on the other hand, I always point out that I know families from Sydney who have moved to Perth and love it. Thank goodness different people like different lifestyles or we'd all be huddled together in one city.

I like the idea of "being wealthy and not having to work!" It's a reward for what I think the OP was complaining  was "an obsession with money and work till you die" ethic. How else are you going to pay off that mega mortgage and possibly other debts eg I think I read it costs ?$200, 000 to raise a child and put them thru the education system? 

I haven't had a mega income (so far) to fund my retirement  - circa $3,000 per month with no mortgage or loans to service.

I think I have $160,000 of untouched super, and once I've sold my house in England, a tidy sum to spend and / or increase my monthly income.  I might even  splurge on something I've never done before and buy a new car, with cash too, a Mini maybe, something a little "flash". And if I ever pluck up my courage to fly again, Business Class definitely   maybe even First!

It's a reward for all those horrible hours I worked in the 1990s, six days a week, often till late at night.  I regret working like that now mind. I wish I'd just quit as soon as I paid my mortgage off.

Perth for me is Sydney "Lite" - half the size, half the crowds and horrible roads and with beaches and the Swan River replicating Sydney Harbour. 

However, in the meantime I've "discovered" Surfers Paradise and the Gold Coast, another place some people hate but I love.

As I've said before it's "Surry Hills with a beach."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

I didn't mean to be rude Marissa and I know some people love Melbourne, that's fair enough, as you say it wouldn't do for us to be all the same.

I was meaning normal people as in mortgage to pay, work to go to, limited time off, saving up for a holiday. 

You made it sound as if your average Sydney or Melbourne dweller would be popping off to the Whitsundays for a weekend. 

As you say, it's a days drive to Queensland, great if you've got friends there, most haven't.

We can (or could) pop to Bali or Singapore when you put it like that or, days drive South heaps of places. More than a days drive North Coral Bay, Broome. Not much different really.