The truth on Perth?!

TheBs

2 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

Migration is big business indeed and is basically what keeps the charade of high house prices, near stagnant wage growth going, while lowering living standards  gradually over time in the process. The question needs to be asked. "Are we better off now than twenty five years ago? " Immigration is obviously a bonus when used     the way intended and not abused in order to suit vested interest groups for own purposes. Australia has long prospered from it. Turbo immigration on the other hand is having the opposite outcome. 

I am. Aren't you?

3 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

Living in a far worse country    in most measurements. This is very far removed from the country of the seventies and eighties.  I don't take over inflated house prices as a sign of things being better. 

I think parley is talking about personal wealth, in which case most of us are.

If you want to ask if the country is better off you will need to rephrase the question.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

I'd be inclined to go along with that. A world much its own creation and not very interested in outsiders beyond using then to further own advantage. I've never 'lived' in Sydney but have visited several times , once for a longer duration and did detect a more favourable vibe there,  for want of another way to put it. But from friends living there or had lived there, I know also can be  an incredible stressful place with an onus on work and income. I guess along the lines of what London became. (London was a pretty chilled out city in late seventies, hard to imagine I know,)

Perth meanwhile gives out the initial impression of being 'chilled' , but is on many levels a strange sort of 'up tight' conservative place, where conformity is somewhat necessary to survive a very cliquish environment. People largely keep to themselves, don't warm readily, making relationships hard to get above ground level. 

Obviously others may differ in experience and perhaps in comparisons depending probably past experience and where from.  In my view a very  superficial surface sort of place , built too much around greed and money , where any search for depth may well result in disillusionment or worse but many won't care. 

Be sure though the sun will shine most days  , the Indian Ocean will look superb, the obvious signs of mining wealth prosperity will in the way of city towers will add to that impression, but for the more vigilant among us, other factors may give a different picture at the reality under the surface. 

Those comments reflect what many people have described about Perth. As an outsider who moves to Perth you need to experience it to understand it. Many will not recognise what you have described above, but many do because you hear the same things about Perth being superficial, cliquey, parochial time and time again. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Red Rose said:

Those comments reflect what many people have described about Perth. As an outsider who moves to Perth you need to experience it to understand it. Many will not recognise what you have described above, but many do because you hear the same things about Perth being superficial, cliquey, parochial time and time again. 

I’m so bored with these discussions about Perth. Tiresome and puzzling. Let’s just agree, it’s shit. Stay away. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Red Rose said:

You gave Australia a few years and it obviously didn't suit you.  You found Sydney small compared to London, Perth parochial, yadda yadda yadda.  Heard all this over a hundred times on this forum from various people who have gone back to the UK.  That's fine but do we really have to read about it over and over and over again.  I've already got one forum member on *ignore*.  Boy was he a repetitive, non-stop whiner about his utterly boring life in Perth.  Still and all, that particular poster stuck it out for 10 years.  Talk about a glutton for punishment.  😂  

As HappyHeart said above, all very tiresome.  I haven't lived in Perth for donkey's years but I always find myself supporting the place.  Just waiting for Mr Flu to come back with a list of the things wrong with his city.  Top of the list being the problem with drugs.  Why aren't the police doing something about it for goodness sake?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Red Rose said:

So obviously must be something in it then. I write purely from personal experience and no one else.  There was in the past a rather fierce rear guard movement that took any critique of Perth, as akin to a personal; attack on their integrity. 

24 minutes ago, Toots said:

You gave Australia a few years and it obviously didn't suit you.  You found Sydney small compared to London, Perth parochial, yadda yadda yadda.  Heard all this over a hundred times on this forum from various people who have gone back to the UK.  That's fine but do we really have to read about it over and over and over again.  I've already got one forum member on *ignore*.  Boy was he a repetitive, non-stop whiner about his utterly boring life in Perth.  Still and all, that particular poster stuck it out for 10 years.  Talk about a glutton for punishment.  😂  

As HappyHeart said above, all very tiresome.  I haven't lived in Perth for donkey's years but I always find myself supporting the place.  Just waiting for Mr Flu to come back with a list of the things wrong with his city.  Top of the list being the problem with drugs.  Why aren't the police doing something about it for goodness sake?

But surely that is the posters personal experience and as such can air it at will? Akin to your positive findings back in the seventies. No one critiques those comments and nor should they. Making light of the drug issue and the corruption around that does not impress Mr Flu in the slightest, I'm afraid. t your right it has been donkey years since your Perth stay. While I don't question your enthusiasm for the city at that time, it could also be a recall of lost youth . I don't pretend to know. You may well ask the question why are not the police doing something with regards to the scourge of drugs in this city.  I once asked the same thing thing.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HappyHeart said:

I’m so bored with these discussions about Perth. Tiresome and puzzling. Let’s just agree, it’s shit. Stay away. 

Why boring? I know it clashes with your world view of Perth but no need surely for such sarcasm? Some will adore it  for a variety of reasons while others  will find fault in all number of things. It doesn't mean it is shit. Although a lot going on here certainly is. We don't have to agree even. While some comments are old hat     to older posters, they are, or may be revelations in presenting another side to newer posters. No one is forced to change their perceptions or even accept what is going on behind the scenes in Perth.  

1 hour ago, Toots said:

Toots, I respect your right to critique my view 100%. I am only expressing a personal view on a topic specifically about Perth where the OP has asked for a view on Perth. I don't think I have expressed that view disrespectfully or said anything personal about any poster. 

I am not really sure what you are looking for here other for me to censor my views, which is fine. I shan't say anything more on the topic and apologies if I have upset anyone! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, newjez said:

I think parley is talking about personal wealth, in which case most of us are.

If you want to ask if the country is better off you will need to rephrase the question.

I suspect he is but surely very narrow measurements to arrive at the conclusion we are better off? I don't feel better off because the house I bought has increased some 300%.  So have other houses. Meanwhile aged care is diabolical and the health system severely challenged.  Before we even get onto real issues of concern. 

n. 

4 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

I suspect he is but surely very narrow measurements to arrive at the conclusion we are better off? I don't feel better off because the house I bought has increased some 300%.  So have other houses. Meanwhile aged care is diabolical and the health system severely challenged.  Before we even get onto real issues of concern. 

n. 

what I don't understand is why you don't just move away from Perth/WA/Australia  if you hate it that much ?

• Like 3
  • Congratulations 1

13 hours ago, Red Rose said:

Toots, I respect your right to critique my view 100%. I am only expressing a personal view on a topic specifically about Perth where the OP has asked for a view on Perth. I don't think I have expressed that view disrespectfully or said anything personal about any poster. 

I am not really sure what you are looking for here other for me to censor my views, which is fine. I shan't say anything more on the topic and apologies if I have upset anyone! 

I apologise for my comment to you Red Rose but ever since I joined this forum the negativity posted about Perth (and other places) is just too repetitive.  I only need to read about it a couple of times - after that it's just boring.  Don't understand it myself but then I live in the sticks where nothing exciting happens and I love it.  I know lots of interesting people, do lots of stuff with them and am surrounded by the sea and countryside.  Even though I did live happily in Perth (albeit many years ago) I couldn't live in a city again.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Toots said:

I apologise for my comment to you Red Rose but ever since I joined this forum the negativity posted about Perth (and other places) is just too repetitive.  I only need to read about it a couple of times - after that it's just boring.  Don't understand it myself but then I live in the sticks where nothing exciting happens and I love it.  I know lots of interesting people, do lots of stuff with them and am surrounded by the sea and countryside.  Even though I did live happily in Perth (albeit many years ago) I couldn't live in a city again.

Toots the best thing to do, is to read only one  post about Perth, at the very very most that is posted on any thread, but never reply. Just like Groundhog Day really, Some posters have nothing better to do but keep repeating and repeating the same old moans, but never seem to do anything to change their lives, others never seem to be able to let go and understand that somewhere they lived wasn’t right for them. That’s their problem.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, RandL said:

what I don't understand is why you don't just move away from Perth/WA/Australia  if you hate it that much ?

I've moved away many times. WA is my home state so feel very entitled to state and critique its failings. The problems I am facing in recent times, cannot be guaranteed not to be happening elsewhere in other states. I hope not to the same degree, but anyway thanks for concern.

35 minutes ago, ramot said:

Toots the best thing to do, is to read only one  post about Perth, at the very very most that is posted on any thread, but never reply. Just like Groundhog Day really, Some posters have nothing better to do but keep repeating and repeating the same old moans, but never seem to do anything to change their lives, others never seem to be able to let go and understand that somewhere they lived wasn’t right for them. That’s their problem.

I don't think any have posted what I have related or attempted to into what is going on is a deep matter of concern. The fact remains, if so many do repeat various negativities then it poses the question Is there something in it? Some issues being expressed my well be of interest to those that have never been exposed to contrary views. The big question to my mind, is why those that love all things Perth regardless should feel they have the right to constantly voice the virtues, but those on the other side are not entitled the same consideration? You'll never read me saying I'm sick of people expressing the virtues of Perth  and the like, so why should it get so upsetting for the other side? 

5 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

I don't think any have posted what I have related or attempted to into what is going on is a deep matter of concern. The fact remains, if so many do repeat various negativities then it poses the question Is there something in it? Some issues being expressed my well be of interest to those that have never been exposed to contrary views. The big question to my mind, is why those that love all things Perth regardless should feel they have the right to constantly voice the virtues, but those on the other side are not entitled the same consideration? You'll never read me saying I'm sick of people expressing the virtues of Perth  and the like, so why should it get so upsetting for the other side? 

I think it isn't so much the negative posts about Perth that get on my pip  -  but there are posters in the past ...................  and I'm not necessarily talking about you and Red Rose  ..............  who come across as condescending and patronising about the place and the people who are enjoying their lives there.  That's just rude and unpleasant behaviour.

18 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

I quite enjoy them. I find a lot of posters who slag Perth off have never been here or not been for years. Some just picked a bad suburb to live and then say the whole of WA is like that suburb.

I like putting our experiences. Levels the playing field.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Toots said:

I think it isn't so much the negative posts about Perth that get on my pip  -  but there are posters in the past ...................  and I'm not necessarily talking about you and Red Rose  ..............  who come across as condescending and patronising about the place and the people who are enjoying their lives there.  That's just rude and unpleasant behaviour.

Often it is their personality Toots. Some people are naturally very negative of everything.

They will ignore the 80% good and harp on and on about the 20% bad.

These people are very draining to those of us who are more upbeat by nature.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Parley said:

Often it is their personality Toots. Some people are naturally very negative of everything.

They will ignore the 80% good and harp on and on about the 20% bad.

These people are very draining to those of us who are more upbeat by nature.

I was in the surf club gym last week. An older lady, in her 70's was in. She was telling me she has osteoporosis and weight training was good for her. She said she'd done some weight training most of her life and couldn't figure why she had it. I said if she hadn't done it when younger she might be a lot worse now. She replied " you're a glass half full man aren't you"😁

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Toots said:

Quite so. I'm glad we've cleared that up then. But I suspect Perth fell  below expectations of those, many whom I suspect , had not been far from home before for a number of reasons. In my view equally as valid off course. Not sure why Perth so attract so many dissents or indeed such strong views on the other foot. Not sure either why those of a more upbeat nature should feel put off by differing content though. It makes their positive comment no less valid surely?