The truth on Perth?!

TheBs

4 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

I would never hazard to say Perth would not be to your liking. It does sound you may well find it to be your type of place. As for drugs, while they are in most every place and I have experienced a lot of it, I have never come across what I have in recent times in Perth. Not those taking it but making it and an area where it is entrenched and what's another way of saying tolerated? Just extraordinary, nothing more I can say but that. 

Why are your posts consistently about drugs?  

• Like 1

I would never hazard to say Perth would not be to your liking. It does sound you may well find it to be your type of place. As for drugs, while they are in most every place and I have experienced a lot of it, I have never come across what I have in recent times in Perth. Not those taking it but making it and an area where it is entrenched and what's another way of saying tolerated? Just extraordinary, nothing more I can say but that. 

I wonder why the sudden drop from five years previously? Or if indeed an error? Now I must dig it out in way of explanation to what I was referring? The figure I quoted was from The Australian, if you type in Jindalee British born, the first heading should read the 43% or whatever it was. It is  is behind a pay wall so cannot send the full article but will seek out  another source which I'll look for and send but  don't recall at moment.  . 

I am a subscriber if you need any assistance. I'm sure it will be correct if it is in The Australian.

13 hours ago, Bulya said:

They just don’t get how different Australia is in every state/territory.  As I’ve said for years, Australia isn’t a country, it’s a franchise!

But its remarkably uniform outside of geography. Far less different people wise than say England/France/Germany etc.  I'd go as far and say that I'd don't detect a lot of difference between Adelaide and Perth for example. I suppose Brisbane would fall into line as well. Obviously the two big cities reflect a vibe relative to their size which is different and Darwin has a vibe that is quite different, but I have never got this Australia isn't a country thing. Far more so than Canada for example, where language definitely highlights difference. 

Just now, Blue Flu said:

But its remarkably uniform outside of geography. Far less different people wise than say England/France/Germany etc.  I'd go as far and say that I'd don't detect a lot of difference between Adelaide and Perth for example. I suppose Brisbane would fall into line as well. Obviously the two big cities reflect a vibe relative to their size which is different and Darwin has a vibe that is quite different, but I have never got this Australia isn't a country thing. Far more so than Canada for example, where language definitely highlights difference. 

Diffent weather, sport, politics, education system, road rules, food names, and much much more.  Try buying a beer in a pub in SA say then move to Vic and then NSW. Schooner or pot or middy or by colour in Darwin.  Now I’ve moved around Australia fir work more than 99.9% of Poms  ever will and only then do you see how really different it is.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

Probably do over do the matter, but very disconcerting to me to have arrived at the realization that it is being manufactured all around me for profit . I think I mentioned I lived many years without this being an issue, but the last half year it really hit home. To have a near neighbour knock on my door to inform me that there's really nothing I can do to stop what was going on (due to the nature of those behind things) and another enlighten me into the extent only to discover far more widespread that ever realized are the  beginnings of the answer to your question. It certainly throws another light on things as well as hearing from an assortment of people that it is everywhere and well you can possibly guess the rest. My former home town, down South staged a march with hundreds participating a few months ago to bring awareness to the scourge of meth that is impacting that town. I do my bit. Just wish such calls for action and bringing awareness was being conducted elsewhere. Like I mentioned. Some are making a lot of money while maintaining at a glance respectability. I guess it depends on the sort of society one would prefer to live in. But I will reign in over mentioning this scourge. Not what most want to read, even if a considerable public health problem.

10 hours ago, Parley said:

I am a subscriber if you need any assistance. I'm sure it will be correct if it is in The Australian.

I'd be very dubious about being sure just because it is in that journal. They most definately have own agenda, to which has become increasingly obvious over recent years. But in the case of demographic figures they are hard to fudge. The figure is easy to find though and gave the link yesterday. I do find it odd the decline in number though over a rather short period of five years.  But to own up, I while not buying it, do read that paper in the form of a hard copy as well, most days. 

11 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

It will be interesting, by comparison, when the recent 2021 Census data is published.

To true-blue Aussies, slapping the Union Jack on a footy jumper may seem to be a bizarre, if not controversial, move.

But there is method in the madness of the West Perth Football Club's decision to put its players in a kit featuring the British flag for its international round match against Subiaco next week.

The Falcons' Joondalup base is in the heart of Perth's northern suburbs, which are known as "Little Britain" because of their high percentage of British-born migrants.

The British contingent makes up 42 per cent of the population of the new and growing coastal suburb of Jindalee.

That is the highest proportion of foreign-born residents from one country in the nation.

West Perth district manager Andrew Ridley said it was a bold move that had generated controversy and consternation among some members, even though it is a one-off for the international round on August 11.

"The district has such an international population, but particularly the British population," he said. "This is a unique way to promote football.

"We are keen to promote AFL as the sport of choice and keen to use AFL football as an opportunity to welcome new Australians to our country.

With AFL being the indigenous sport, we thought this was a fantastic way to do it."

West Perth Football Club has been based in Joondalup for the past 18 years after moving north from its traditional home in Leederville.

"Our new population has brought unique challenges for the club for its future survival," Mr Ridley said.

"To attract future players, volunteers and members, we need to embrace the community.

"The WPFC has a strong hist-ory, particularly with European migrants.

"The team was nicknamed the Garlic Munchers at its former home of Leederville Oval."

He said 50 per cent of the players at Brighton Seahawks junior football club were born in Britain

17 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

Well according to the 2016 census it was 28%?

60D58A24-D14B-4436-82A1-591B97C843BA.png

I meant to underline your post not Dusty Plains, but to restore credibility I have reposted from West Australian  an article from 19 July 12 which outlines the UK born demographic figure of 43% of population. The Australian under a pay wall has a similar story. It may be newspaper 'over enthusiasm'  but source for the figure now revealed.

13 hours ago, Craig Colas said:

What is a soulless suburb then? Because I think I need it explaining to me. I'm thinking our definitions of quiet and soulless differ quite a lot. Everyone is different and at different stages within their life. I'm young, have a young family. Couldn't pay me £200,000 a year to live in London, Manchester, Birmingham and places like that, dumps if you ask me. I once got offered a big contract to work in the Congo, didn't take it obviously, but probably would have over some big cities. 

Might sound strange, some people just like to go to work, come home in a quiet neighborhood, walk on the beach and do the odd activity at the weekend. 

Surely more expensive to move back to the UK rather than try somewhere else first? I agree the move isn't for everyone and some maybe shouldn't have made the move in hindsight, but they will never know unless they try. End of the day its only money and you rebuild. Granted it becomes more difficult the older you get. 

@HappyHeart I prefer the stairway version rather than Shakespeare "All that glitters is gold" 😁 

Reading between the lines, what people call soulless suburbs are the quiet, clean, tidy and well kept ones with plenty of parks and playgrounds.

While a suburb with a 'soul' is one where every third house is rundown, the gardens are unkempt, every second house has dismantled utes in the garden and gangs hang about in the evening adding to the 'atmosphere' and of course there has to be a number of 'local characters' that you would cross the street to avoid.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Bulya said:

Diffent weather, sport, politics, education system, road rules, food names, and much much more.  Try buying a beer in a pub in SA say then move to Vic and then NSW. Schooner or pot or middy or by colour in Darwin.  Now I’ve moved around Australia fir work more than 99.9% of Poms  ever will and only then do you see how really different it is.  

Indeed. I get that entirely. Completely correct. But do you really feel the size of the beer glass will impact on decision ? Education may feature with some but my feeling tells me it is something far more deeper in a sense of belonging (even wanting to) and an often cited comment was a bit of a sameness when I travelled around part of Australia, decades ago as a Back Packer. Even back then far more "Poms' appeared to be on the road in comparison with Aussies. I wonder just how many Australians see their country these days? It was once the thing when I was at school here. 

I've been to all states bar ACT and Tasmania and am if anything amazed at the similarity. Nowhere do I really find the people very different. Same accent, slang, lifestyles similar. It's IMO the geographic features that change not the people, which gives an odd similarity. 

55 minutes ago, Bulya said:

So exactly the same as the UK, USA, Canada and numerous other countries in the world

10 minutes ago, welljock said:

Reading between the lines, what people call soulless suburbs are the quiet, clean, tidy and well kept ones with plenty of parks and playgrounds.

While a suburb with a 'soul' is one where every third house is rundown, the gardens are unkempt, every second house has dismantled utes in the garden and gangs hang about in the evening adding to the 'atmosphere' and of course there has to be a number of 'local characters' that you would cross the street to avoid.

Or how about movement? People walking. Walkability scales to places to dine and eat? Not deserted looking houses where life is lived out of sight, with little knowledge of neighbours and for all purposes devoid of much life. 

The suburbs above are down at heel localities, not what is meant by soul. Check out some inner city places with a vibe like Paddington or NewTown in Sydney and so on.....I feel that is more what is being referred to.....

16 minutes ago, welljock said:

...and no high street to speak of, because everyone drives to the nearest shopping centre.  To get to the nearest pub, cafe or restaurant, you have to get into your car and drive, so there's no community.  At night the streets are deserted because everyone drives everywhere.  Actually during the day may be pretty much the same because everyone drives everywhere, and most people commute into the city for work. Most people don't know their neighbours, unless their kids go to the same school.

That's what I mean by soulless.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, welljock said:

So exactly the same as the UK, USA, Canada and numerous other countries in the world

Exactly, that's what people are trying to say.   It's amazing how people who are thinking of coming to Australia, think it's the same all over.  Whereas they'd fall about laughing if someone said that Edinburgh was exactly the same as Luton.

Just now, Marisawright said:

...and no high street to speak of, because everyone drives to the nearest shopping centre.  To get to the nearest pub, cafe or restaurant, you have to get into your car and drive, so there's no community.  At night the streets are deserted because everyone drives everywhere.  Actually during the day may be pretty much the same because everyone drives everywhere, and most people commute into the city for work. Most people don't know their neighbours, unless their kids go to the same school.

That's what I mean by soulless.

That's not really accurate about Perth to be fair. Most of the newer suburbs have livability at their core with amenities within walking distance. Pub, cafe, restaurant, park 

3 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Exactly, that's what people are trying to say.   It's amazing how people who are thinking of coming to Australia, think it's the same all over.  Whereas they'd fall about laughing if someone said that Edinburgh was exactly the same as Luton.

Luton and Edinburgh though differ in accent/economics/country's.