The truth on Perth?!

TheBs

On 11/09/2021 at 16:35, Paul1Perth said:

Don't know much about Canadas' history, or America come to that. 

How long do we have to dwell on it though. Every nation on Earth has had periods in history where things were terrible for different people at different times.

England must have been pretty ruthless to run a lot of the nations they did. England itself was invaded by Vikings. How far do we go back?

No, move on I reckon.

The Vikings were just one of an almost continuous line of invaders from the Romans in the 1st century AD to the Normans 1,000 years later. The Normans took everything.

Odd thing about Britain is our pride in that period of our history.  Hadrian's Wall, Bath,  Carlton, Norman castles,  the Domesday Book and the Bayeux Tapestry.

20 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

So are those termed 'lefties' by your account, less in position to bring change in acknowledging past misdeeds, than the right that want more of the same? 

The lefties are the ones who put 100 percent blame on  white people, the West, UK, USA, Australia.  They invented the pseudo scientific anc pseudo academic uni studies which I mentioned which again put all the blame on white people. BLM in Sydney is run by Trotskyists just as BLM in the UK is Marxist and anti Semitic.

Lefties don't care about ending racism or any of the other isms.  They want to invent more of them and create more uni courses to study them. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

The Vikings were just one of an almost continuous line of invaders from the Romans in the 1st century AD to the Normans 1,000 years later. The Normans took everything.

Odd thing about Britain is our pride in that period of our history.  Hadrian's Wall, Bath,  Carlton, Norman castles,  the Domesday Book and the Bayeux Tapestry.

Are you by writing that in some way comparing that to Australia's experience? To be fair, you would need to compare apples with apples. Now if the warriors from the ancient African kingdom of Benin had sailed up the Thames , enslaving the local population, introducing own rites and totems who knows how the native Englanders of the time would have weathered under such cultural difference and treatment? 

On 11/09/2021 at 08:32, Canada2Australia said:

There is also the option of not coming into this thread and reading the negative reviews if it bothers someone that much.

Isn't the intended point of this thread to debate the good and bad points of Perth? Wouldn't one assume that several points, pro and con, would end up being repeated ad nauseum? That is the expectation I have for any type of discussion that encourages debate, like it or lump it.

I'm still waiting for someone else to address the specific issues the OP raised.

• Like 1

Just now, Blue Flu said:

Are you by writing that in some way comparing that to Australia's experience? To be fair, you would need to compare apples with apples. Now if the warriors from the ancient African kingdom of Benin had sailed up the Thames , enslaving the local population, introducing own rites and totems who knows how the native Englanders of the time would have weathered under such cultural difference and treatment? 

Apples with apples? You mean that because the people who invaded Britain were from Europe that made them "better" than if they'd come from Africa or Asia?

The Romans thought we were barbarians and they did enslave the local population and they brought their own language and customs.  The Normans did much the same thing. Any people who resisted were killed or starved to death. The Vikings terrorised the parts of England that they invaded.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MARYROSE02 said:

The lefties are the ones who put 100 percent blame on  white people, the West, UK, USA, Australia.  They invented the pseudo scientific anc pseudo academic uni studies which I mentioned which again put all the blame on white people. BLM in Sydney is run by Trotskyists just as BLM in the UK is Marxist and anti Semitic.

Lefties don't care about ending racism or any of the other isms.  They want to invent more of them and create more uni courses to study them. 

As in all factions there are some so far out of mainstream thinking to be fringe dwellers or subversives. They have their place by exposing the ideocracy of extreme thought, but you are wrong to place the entire blame on the left. BLM was not a political made up movement, but a reaction to on going injustice. Obviously it became more so as time moved on and millage could be made from far left groups. Don't fall into the same trap by using ideological terms and swallow the right wing attempt to disempower whatever poses a threat to their desired /preferred take on history and/or philosophy. 

The Left have certainly in history taken the baton up against racism. Against all forms of bigotry. For rights of women. The world the right envisaged from the eighties, has not exactly turned out very well. Obviously a new direction is eagerly needed  but just who will deliver? 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

Apples with apples? You mean that because the people who invaded Britain were from Europe that made them "better" than if they'd come from Africa or Asia?

The Romans thought we were barbarians and they did enslave the local population and they brought their own language and customs.  The Normans did much the same thing. Any people who resisted were killed or starved to death. The Vikings terrorised the parts of England that they invaded.

Yes from Europe. Perhaps they said the same thing, but reasonably assured it wasn't in the last fifty or so years when it was suggested the inferiority of the race would witness it being bred out. Or indeed in my childhood  memory when the original people were finally called Australian, allowed to vote and so on. 

20 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

I'm still waiting for someone else to address the specific issues the OP raised.

Well the OP I suspect wrote with tongue in cheek. Likewise they have a cross section of responses , some confirming aspects of original post, others putting a different slant to it. Not sure what you expect. 

17 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

Good question. What actually is a progressive outlook?  Well let's see.

Why are there regulated alcohol outlets in both Tennant Creek and Alice Springs? Why are the alcohol outlets in Tennant Creek basically cages with Police inside the cage and the locals on the outside? Cunnamulla is SW Queensland has two hotels and they are also cages. Why is that?

My experiences as both a government officer and subsequently as a tourist reminds me of all those places I have worked in or spent some time in certain towns where NONE of the "progressive outlook" is self-evident, as much as anyone might try to find it. In Tennant Creek NT, if 50% of all children within school age actually attend school, then that is something  to celebrate in TC.  Why is that? Similar problems occur at nearly every whistle stop down the Stuart Highway through the NT heading toward South Australia. 

Then there is Ceduna SA (also an alcohol-restricted town). Wilcannia NSW where at the local petrol station there are signs everywhere warning customers to lock their vehicles when paying for fuel. The ruse at the Wilcannia petrol station was that if you left your keys in the ignition of an unlocked car, when you return to your vehicle you might encounter youths who hang around the petrol station and have your car keys dangling over the grating of a deep drain. They will return your car keys to you for a fee of $50. 

Then there is Dubbo, ( riots in the Gordon (state) Housing estate several years ago which saw approximately up to 10 houses every night set on fire with firefighters and Police being attacked by youths. Their progressive outlook? It was the Australia Day weekend and so the "locals" were pissed off. I was there, ducking, rocks, stones, roof tiles and anything else that could be thrown. I had to replace two emergency vehicles as they were smashed beyond serviceable condition. Yet there were no arson charges ever made, no charges made relating to affray, assault, or damaging property including government property.

So what is this progressive outlook? Here is my definition:

Get up in the morning and prepare your children for school. Pack healthy lunches for your children. Head off to your job, work hard and pay your taxes.  Stop being a burden on the taxpayers, and mostly stop being some sort of "victim". You are not a victim,. There are no generational victims in Australia, so drop the victim ploy and start being a contributor to Australia. Obey the law and work hard to ensure that your children have brighter prospects that you do.

Now that is a progressive outlook, for everyone.

Brilliant. You took the words out of my mouth.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

They adapted or died BF.

7 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

As in all factions there are some so far out of mainstream thinking to be fringe dwellers or subversives. They have their place by exposing the ideocracy of extreme thought, but you are wrong to place the entire blame on the left. BLM was not a political made up movement, but a reaction to on going injustice. Obviously it became more so as time moved on and millage could be made from far left groups. Don't fall into the same trap by using ideological terms and swallow the right wing attempt to disempower whatever poses a threat to their desired /preferred take on history and/or philosophy. 

The Left have certainly in history taken the baton up against racism. Against all forms of bigotry. For rights of women. The world the right envisaged from the eighties, has not exactly turned out very well. Obviously a new direction is eagerly needed  but just who will deliver? 

They don't take up the baton against racism; they want racism to continue for eternity so they can continue and expand and the different jobs, quangos,  commissions,  university pseudo scientific courses, all of which would end if racism ended. Of course "racism" means only "white" racism. 

The UK and Australia have nothing in common with the USA where BLM began.  Britain banned slavery 20 years before the US Civil War.

"Taking the knee " before football games does nothing to stop racism. They'd be far better off taking the knee against discrimination against gay footballers few of whom dare to "come out" whilst non-white players are fully integrated into football in Britain. 

And of course why would any rational person want to emigrate to a country known to be racist? I certainly wouldn't.

7 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

Well the OP I suspect wrote with tongue in cheek. Likewise they have a cross section of responses , some confirming aspects of original post, others putting a different slant to it. Not sure what you expect. 

"Tongue in cheek?" I never considered that.  If that is true we should all be making tongue in cheek responses.

Come to think of it perhaps I did as I said it was an example of "Pommie whingeing from Central Casting." Has the OP responded?

Did I ever write that I loved Perth from the moment I arrived on 3rd November,  1978? I wrote it I'm my diary. If I could have had my time again I would have stayed in Perth,  not worried about a job, just stayed till my money ran out gone "Home". However, I ended up in Sydney where my money DID run out but my Dad sent more and then I got a job. 

Perth was and is less of a rat race than Sydney. On the other hand I adapted - eventually.