The truth on Perth?!

TheBs

3 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

It's not that I think Perth is bad. Many locals here perceive it as bad though. I'd say disappointing what is happening on various levels. I have  Lived in Darwin in the nineties so know it. Impossible to compare. Darwin is more 'relaxed' I think, in a Darwin sort of way, which to many a thinking is more 'slack' than relaxed. Plenty of' non enlightened' at least at that time anyway. Crime to match. I was going to write should try Alice Springs. There's a place now. Doubt if ever experienced more crime over a short duration of months than there. 

I escaped from Darwin October 11, 2019. Lived there for four years. Very different place than from the 90s clearly. It's an overpriced, overrated, crime ridden ******** now. The outback up there is gorgeous but Darwin itself is a socio-economic disaster. Alice Springs is worse. Tennant Creek is the pinnacle of hell. If you value a decent quality of life without worrying about being a victim a some form of serious crime, you would reconsider a move anywhere out there, but do what you must. I'll take Perth over the NT any day, thanks.

So happy I moved ❤️🎉🎊

Edited by Canada2Australia
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Canada2Australia said:

I escaped from Darwin October 11, 2019. Lived there for four years. Very different place than from the 90s clearly. It's an overpriced, overrated, crime ridden ******** now. The outback up there is gorgeous but Darwin itself is a socio-economic disaster. Alice Springs is worse. Tennant Creek is the pinnacle of hell. If you value a decent quality of life without worrying about being a victim a some form of serious crime, you would reconsider a move anywhere out there, but do what you must. I'll take Perth over the NT any day, thanks.

So happy I moved ❤️🎉🎊

The elephant in the room is the problems in Darwin, Alice Springs, Tennant Creek and Perth are mostly caused by the same types.

13 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

The elephant in the room is the problems in Darwin, Alice Springs, Tennant Creek and Perth are mostly caused by the same types.

Yup, First Nations. Same as in certain areas back home, although what I've witnessed in the NT takes those issues to a while other, much more severe level. All part of colonial government mismanagement over the past 200ish years.

6 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

Last time there it was a lovely hot day . Refused to swim as a scum was floating on the surface just off the beach. Probably best not to know a result of what. Like the atmosphere of Brighton though. Obviously a lot of social issues around drugs and homelessness though. A bit dirty in parts , but an openness that is appealing. If house prices did not reflect the London By Sea title, could live there I suspect quite contently. Always Worthing down the road I guess. Although when I knew that town, it appeared much further away in attitude and style than the few miles of separation.  

In the 80's I worked in Pipeline Testing for oil and gas pipelines. We had to stay in Brighton for a couple of weeks. Me and the 3 guys I was working with found a boarding house and when we were checking in it was obvious a gay couple ran it. One guy there with his sciffon scarf, other guy holding his poodle.

At breakfast the next morning schiffon guy is coming round taking breakfast orders, asks the other guys one egg or two, never asked me, thought he'd just missed asking. Breakfast comes, mines massive, extra sausage 2 eggs, guy puts it in front of me and says "I brought you 2 eggs, thought you looked like a 2 egg man".

I had let myself go a bit to be fair, not had my hair cut for ages, couldn't be bothered to shave when we were travelling so had a beard and I'd put a fair bit of weight on, due to living in the pub. 

Moved to a different guesthouse the next day. Breakfasts weren't as good though. My workmates thought it was hillarious

Gays were definately over represented there then. Don't know about now.

1 minute ago, Canada2Australia said:

Yup, First Nations. Same as in certain areas back home. All part of colonial government mismanagement over the past 200ish years.

You might feel guilty and blame mismanagement, I don't. Sometime they have to take responsibilty for their kids, their property, the law and move forward.

The longer they get handouts, treated favourably in so many areas they are never going to move on. On top of that we have to thank them at every event, anywhere for letting us use their land then say sorry again.

5 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

You might feel guilty and blame mismanagement, I don't. Sometime they have to take responsibilty for their kids, their property, the law and move forward.

The longer they get handouts, treated favourably in so many areas they are never going to move on. On top of that we have to thank them at every event, anywhere for letting us use their land then say sorry again.

Oh, trust me, the guilt that I've felt has diminished over time and I fully agree about taking ownership of one's life.

The problem in Canada right now is, because of the whole residential school mass unmarked graves of aboriginal children killed (in the 1000s now with many more likely to be uncovered as time goes by), there is some sense that the government f'ed up and needs to take ownership for the lives of those children in their care. As does certain segments of the Catholic Church.

Apart from that, yup, First Nations people have the power to change their lives in the 21st century of they have the will. If they do not, that is on them and no one else.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Canada2Australia said:

Oh, trust me, the guilt that I've felt has diminished over time and I fully agree about taking ownership of one's life.

The problem in Canada right now is, because of the whole residential school mass unmarked graves of aboriginal children killed (in the 1000s now with many more likely to be uncovered as time goes by), there is some sense that the government f'ed up and needs to take ownership for the lives of those children in their care. As does certain segments of the Catholic Church.

Apart from that, yup, First Nations people have the power to change their lives in the 21st century of they have the will. If they do not, that is on them and no one else.

Don't know much about Canadas' history, or America come to that. 

How long do we have to dwell on it though. Every nation on Earth has had periods in history where things were terrible for different people at different times.

England must have been pretty ruthless to run a lot of the nations they did. England itself was invaded by Vikings. How far do we go back?

No, move on I reckon.

43 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

How long do we have to dwell on it though. Every nation on Earth has had periods in history where things were terrible for different people at different times.

England must have been pretty ruthless to run a lot of the nations they did. England itself was invaded by Vikings. How far do we go back?

No, move on I reckon.

Canadian indigenous history is almost a carbon copy of Australia's due to both being large sparsely populated Commonwealth colonial countries, governed almost identically. The US had some similarities but far more differences and did a bit better in dealing with their native people IMO, although their Black and Hispanic issues more then negate any of the aforementioned positives.

As I've mentioned before, it's only a matter of time before we start to hear similar stories of residential school atrocities from right here in Australia, I'm confident of this, sadly. The graves just haven't been located yet.

And yes, we will have to eventually just put it behind us and move on. We can't keep saying 'I'm forever' as that will only encourage further racial divide. Personally, I'm sick of it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Canada2Australia said:

Canadian indigenous history is almost a carbon copy of Australia's due to both being large sparsely populated Commonwealth colonial countries, governed almost identically. The US had some similarities but far more differences and did a bit better in dealing with their native people IMO, although their Black and Hispanic issues more then negate any of the aforementioned positives.

As I've mentioned before, it's only a matter of time before we start to hear similar stories of residential school atrocities from right here in Australia, I'm confident of this, sadly. The graves just haven't been located yet.

And yes, we will have to eventually just put it behind us and move on. We can't keep saying 'I'm forever' as that will only encourage further racial divide. Personally, I'm sick of it. 

Watch a film called oranges and sunshine. It's about hundreds (at least) of kids in the UK being taken from their mothers, told they weren't wanted and shipped off here to places like Christian Brothers, where loads of them were abused for years.

If it wasn't for one lady from the UK following up the story years later it would never have come to light. One of the places featured in the film is Bindoon, pretty close to Perth.

Really good film, used to be on either ABC or SBS catchup.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Canada2Australia said:

So happy I moved ❤️🎉🎊

My god. I just did a Google Street view of tennant creek. That must be a contender for the worst town in Australia. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Red Rose said:

My god. I just did a Google Street view of tennant creek. That must be a contender for the worst town in Australia. 

Look at Elliott in the NT, or Wyndham and Halls Creek in the Kimberlies of WA...

Cheers, Bobj.

21 hours ago, Canada2Australia said:

Yup, First Nations. Same as in certain areas back home, although what I've witnessed in the NT takes those issues to a while other, much more severe level. All part of colonial government mismanagement over the past 200ish years.

What would you suggest as a way of NOT mismanaging the indigenous peoples with some sound examples from similar countries.  Canada and the USA? How do they do it? Reservations for the native peoples? Check. Spend vast amounts of money? Check. Hordes of leftie white people living in the cities pretending to be indigenous and blaming indigenous problems on white people, Check. See Critical Race Theory,  Post Colonial Theory,  White Privilege, Check. Ignore indigenous community leaders who are really doing good things because they DON'T blame it all on white people eg the Price family in Alice Springs whom you will NEVER see interviewed on the ABC. Check. I

• Like 2

On 09/09/2021 at 01:34, Blue Flu said:

You probably mean Rosie O'Gradys in North Bridge. I believe now closed. There was another in Fremantle. Subiaco Hotel good for cheap beer. But North Bridge in the news again for violence. An English soccer player on life support after being assaulted without reason on the street. His parents desperately trying to get on a flight out to Perth. Lots of comments on line with regards to the feeling of unsafety in North Bridge. No supporter of McGowan here or ALP. Hospital crisis. Drug issues. And so on. When the borders are finally open we shall see . 

This shit happens in every city everywhere, just in Perth (Australia more widely) it is covered a lot more in the media.  Australia does doom and gloom media like nowhere else I have lived.

On 11/09/2021 at 10:11, Canada2Australia said:

So happy I moved ❤️🎉🎊

Loathe Alice Springs for the reasons you gave. I imagine Darwin has changed for the worse. Still pretty bad back in 97 . A lot of people I came across were moving on in due course. Others, mostly back packers seemed to adore the place and stayed on longer than anticipated. But they were something of a community unto themselves. 

I believe it is now the meth capital of Australia, so can only imagine the escalation in serious social issues that must create. A shame though. It should be and could be something else. Consideration on the doorstep of Asia it could have been booming. Always been lots of talk around using it's location to maximum advantage but little done. 

On 11/09/2021 at 14:12, Paul1Perth said:

In the 80's I worked in Pipeline Testing for oil and gas pipelines. We had to stay in Brighton for a couple of weeks. Me and the 3 guys I was working with found a boarding house and when we were checking in it was obvious a gay couple ran it. One guy there with his sciffon scarf, other guy holding his poodle.

At breakfast the next morning schiffon guy is coming round taking breakfast orders, asks the other guys one egg or two, never asked me, thought he'd just missed asking. Breakfast comes, mines massive, extra sausage 2 eggs, guy puts it in front of me and says "I brought you 2 eggs, thought you looked like a 2 egg man".

I had let myself go a bit to be fair, not had my hair cut for ages, couldn't be bothered to shave when we were travelling so had a beard and I'd put a fair bit of weight on, due to living in the pub. 

Moved to a different guesthouse the next day. Breakfasts weren't as good though. My workmates thought it was hillarious

Gays were definately over represented there then. Don't know about now.

Brighton has the rep for being the biggest gay population in Europe on a per cent basis. Certainly a lot of gay pubs going back some years. But this all means a progressive outlook by most and open minded and tolerant. The drugs from my recall would be the biggest issue and deaths were high through drug abuse in the time I lived close. Price a bit off putting in property prices. Should have taken the plunge thirty plus years ago. Even back then seemed hefty though. 

On 11/09/2021 at 14:35, Paul1Perth said:

No, move on I reckon.

Moving on is something that has been attempted but to limited success. I think all are at a loss just how to address the obviously outstanding issues. 

13 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

This shit happens in every city everywhere, just in Perth (Australia more widely) it is covered a lot more in the media.  Australia does doom and gloom media like nowhere else I have lived.

Australia is quite contrary IMO as to how you find it. Much is covered up and only revealed when impossible to keep under covers. I wish to goodness, we had good investigative  media that held those to account with the power. Too often a wall of silence and/or denial. 

23 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

What would you suggest as a way of NOT mismanaging the indigenous peoples with some sound examples from similar countries.  Canada and the USA? How do they do it? Reservations for the native peoples? Check. Spend vast amounts of money? Check. Hordes of leftie white people living in the cities pretending to be indigenous and blaming indigenous problems on white people, Check. See Critical Race Theory,  Post Colonial Theory,  White Privilege, Check. Ignore indigenous community leaders who are really doing good things because they DON'T blame it all on white people eg the Price family in Alice Springs whom you will NEVER see interviewed on the ABC. Check. I

So are those termed 'lefties' by your account, less in position to bring change in acknowledging past misdeeds, than the right that want more of the same? 

22 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

Loathe Alice Springs for the reasons you gave. I imagine Darwin has changed for the worse. Still pretty bad back in 97 . A lot of people I came across were moving on in due course. Others, mostly back packers seemed to adore the place and stayed on longer than anticipated. But they were something of a community unto themselves. 

I believe it is now the meth capital of Australia, so can only imagine the escalation in serious social issues that must create. A shame though. It should be and could be something else. Consideration on the doorstep of Asia it could have been booming. Always been lots of talk around using it's location to maximum advantage but little done. 

I think Darwin has improved since to 90's. They have done a good job around the old docks. Nice apartments, new hotels, a big closed in swimming area, good pubs and restaurants and the biggest wave pool in the Southern Hemisphere. 

I've always enjoyed the main street, lively good pubs, decent food, a few live music venues. 

The park around the water front has been refurbished and they seem to have moved on the indigenous that used to hang about drinking and causing problems. Plenty of families in there with kids now.

Might be the meth capital but I never noticed anything getting worse and I've been going up on work trips for 20 years.

22 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

Brighton has the rep for being the biggest gay population in Europe on a per cent basis. Certainly a lot of gay pubs going back some years. But this all means a progressive outlook by most and open minded and tolerant. The drugs from my recall would be the biggest issue and deaths were high through drug abuse in the time I lived close. Price a bit off putting in property prices. Should have taken the plunge thirty plus years ago. Even back then seemed hefty though. 

What's a "progressive outlook"?

7 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Good question. What actually is a progressive outlook?  Well let's see.

Why are there regulated alcohol outlets in both Tennant Creek and Alice Springs? Why are the alcohol outlets in Tennant Creek basically cages with Police inside the cage and the locals on the outside? Cunnamulla is SW Queensland has two hotels and they are also cages. Why is that?

My experiences as both a government officer and subsequently as a tourist reminds me of all those places I have worked in or spent some time in certain towns where NONE of the "progressive outlook" is self-evident, as much as anyone might try to find it. In Tennant Creek NT, if 50% of all children within school age actually attend school, then that is something  to celebrate in TC.  Why is that? Similar problems occur at nearly every whistle stop down the Stuart Highway through the NT heading toward South Australia. 

Then there is Ceduna SA (also an alcohol-restricted town). Wilcannia NSW where at the local petrol station there are signs everywhere warning customers to lock their vehicles when paying for fuel. The ruse at the Wilcannia petrol station was that if you left your keys in the ignition of an unlocked car, when you return to your vehicle you might encounter youths who hang around the petrol station and have your car keys dangling over the grating of a deep drain. They will return your car keys to you for a fee of $50. 

Then there is Dubbo, ( riots in the Gordon (state) Housing estate several years ago which saw approximately up to 10 houses every night set on fire with firefighters and Police being attacked by youths. Their progressive outlook? It was the Australia Day weekend and so the "locals" were pissed off. I was there, ducking, rocks, stones, roof tiles and anything else that could be thrown. I had to replace two emergency vehicles as they were smashed beyond serviceable condition. Yet there were no arson charges ever made, no charges made relating to affray, assault, or damaging property including government property.

So what is this progressive outlook? Here is my definition:

Get up in the morning and prepare your children for school. Pack healthy lunches for your children. Head off to your job, work hard and pay your taxes.  Stop being a burden on the taxpayers, and mostly stop being some sort of "victim". You are not a victim,. There are no generational victims in Australia, so drop the victim ploy and start being a contributor to Australia. Obey the law and work hard to ensure that your children have brighter prospects that you do.

Now that is a progressive outlook, for everyone.

Edited by Dusty Plains
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Dusty Plains said:

Good question. What actually is a progressive outlook?  Well let's see.

Why are there regulated alcohol outlets in both Tennant Creek and Alice Springs? Why are the alcohol outlets in Tennant Creek basically cages with Police inside the cage and the locals on the outside? Cunnamulla is SW Queensland has two hotels and they are also cages. Why is that?

My experiences as both a government officer and subsequently as a tourist reminds me of all those places I have worked in or spent some time in certain towns where NONE of the "progressive outlook" is self-evident, as much as anyone might try to find it. In Tennant Creek NT, if 50% of all children within school age actually attend school, then that is something  to celebrate in TC.  Why is that? Similar problems occur at nearly every whistle stop down the Stuart Highway through the NT heading toward South Australia. 

Then there is Ceduna SA (also an alcohol-restricted town). Wilcannia NSW where at the local petrol station there are signs everywhere warning customers to lock their vehicles when paying for fuel. The ruse at the Wilcannia petrol station was that if you left your keys in the ignition of an unlocked car, when you return to your vehicle you might encounter youths who hang around the petrol station and have your car keys dangling over the grating of a deep drain. They will return your car keys to you for a fee of $50. 

Then there is Dubbo, ( riots in the Gordon (state) Housing estate several years ago which saw approximately up to 10 houses every night set on fire with firefighters and Police being attacked by youths. Their progressive outlook? It was the Australia Day weekend and so the "locals" were pissed off. I was there, ducking, rocks, stones, roof tiles and anything else that could be thrown. I had to replace two emergency vehicles as they were smashed beyond serviceable condition. Yet there were no arson charges ever made, no charges made relating to affray, assault, or damaging property including government property.

So what is this progressive outlook? Here is my definition:

Get up in the morning and prepare your children for school. Pack healthy lunches for your children. Head off to your job, work hard and pay your taxes.  Stop being a burden on the taxpayers, and mostly stop being some sort of "victim". You are not a victim,. There are no generational victims in Australia, so drop the victim ploy and start being a contributor to Australia. Obey the law and work hard to ensure that your children have brighter prospects that you do.

Now that is a progressive outlook, for everyone.

Crikey those places sound unsafe. Reminds me of growing up in South Africa with bars around the windows. Now there is a country that is a complete enigma. Really progressive politically but still so unstable and unsafe. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

I think Darwin has improved since to 90's. They have done a good job around the old docks. Nice apartments, new hotels, a big closed in swimming area, good pubs and restaurants and the biggest wave pool in the Southern Hemisphere. 

I've always enjoyed the main street, lively good pubs, decent food, a few live music venues. 

The park around the water front has been refurbished and they seem to have moved on the indigenous that used to hang about drinking and causing problems. Plenty of families in there with kids now.

Might be the meth capital but I never noticed anything getting worse and I've been going up on work trips for 20 years.

Good to read your outlook on the experience gained through work visits. The centre had lots of newly built apartments when I lived there in the nineties. I always liked Darwin for its totally different vibe when I lived there. Also international tourists gave it a cosmopolitan feel. Beach markets and not forgetting classical music on Sundays by the Casino. No internet in those days , so I guess a lot of negativity was not so readily on hand to tap into. All the same they did give warnings about Todd Mall after dark , for tourists to be aware. But I used to walk everywhere, never experiencing a problem.

Most likely certain suburbs are not pleasant places. I suspect the satellite centres more social distress may be evident. 

20 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

I suspect you know what the term means. But Brighton has long been an example. It means in part promoting tolerance and a more holistic approach of inclusiveness , rather than solely being policy around economic rationalism and the like. 

• Like 1