The truth on Perth?!

TheBs

Hi we've researched areas, and our head chose Perth as well as other benefits the deciding factor was due to its proximity to Bali where we have family and we also have family in Perth so figured a friendly face would help us settle.

HOWEVER....

I''ve just come off a comment section from another site where I don't think in 20 comments I read a single positive about Perth! 

Anyone live there that can give me their honest opinion, as most of the comments I read basically said WA was money obsessed, had a  work till you die ethic, racist, misogynistic and cliquey with nowhere to go and nothing to do!! 

I'm shocked and need reassuring 😅

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, TheBs said:

Hi we've researched areas, and our head chose Perth as well as other benefits the deciding factor was due to its proximity to Bali where we have family and we also have family in Perth so figured a friendly face would help us settle.

HOWEVER....

I''ve just come off a comment section from another site where I don't think in 20 comments I read a single positive about Perth! 

Anyone live there that can give me their honest opinion, as most of the comments I read basically said WA was money obsessed, had a  work till you die ethic, racist, misogynistic and cliquey with nowhere to go and nothing to do!! 

I'm shocked and need reassuring 😅

You'll find people either love Perth or Hate it.  Those who don't like it will tell you it's isolated, boring and there's nothing to do.  I've lived here almost 15 years now and love it as much as I did when I arrived.  Our children were 7 and 11 when we arrived, my daughter was able to be part of an academic extension program which wouldn't have been available in the UK, my son who loves the outdoors got his skippers ticket as part of his outdoor education lessons and went sailing at Shark bay.  We've never found it isolated - frustrating when you have to speak to someone in Sydney but for something (and not being in the same time zone), but nothing that makes a 'major difference' to how we live.   Pre-Covid, my son was at a festival in summer most weekends, plays competitive sports is never bored (tired but never bored).  My daughter and her partner are foodies and haven't even dented her 'places to eat list'.  We seem to be going out more now than we ever did but missing our travel.   

We've never been a 'beach' family so that hasn't held any attraction for us.  I'm sure the things you've read from others exist and like anywhere it's not without it's faults, but it hasn't been something that we've encountered.   We chose Perth despite having family over East - we've not been disappointed..

• Like 4

I think whether you like Perth or not depends on two things. 

A big one is where you're coming from.  You have to remember that 10 million of Australia's 25 million population live in Sydney and Melbourne.  They are both sprawling, bustling cities whose inner suburbs have a real buzz about them.  Though neither city is anything like London, like London they're big enough to support a huge array of shows, plays, concerts, sports, hobbies, you name it.  People who live there get used to being spoiled for choice.     

When Sydneysiders and Melburnians move to Perth, they find it dead by comparison.  That's surprising, because at 2 million people, you'd think Perth would be getting large enough to develop its own big-city buzz, but it hasn't really.  It still feels like a big country town, albeit with shiny modern buildings.   But of course, that quieter vibe might suit you to a tee.

The other consideration is where in Perth you choose to live.  Though Perth may feel like a country town, the reality is that it is a big city, and all big cities have a mix of leafy affluent suburbs and soulless dormitory estates, and everything in between.   On PomsinOz, I notice that a lot of migrants who are unhappy in Perth/Melbourne/Sydney have ended up in the soulless suburbs, attracted by the smart new houses in new developments, or forced out there by their budget. 

• Like 2

A native West Aussie here with a lot of overseas working experience and sadly say Perth deserves a lot of the bad rap. It's a city built on the resource industry and boom/bust cycles and fast money. It does posses generally great weather and in my view hard to see much of an attraction if not interested in beach or at least aquatic sports in some way. (even if only fishing)

Appearances often give out an impression of being more 'relaxed' than really is. There are, Believe me a host of issues around crime and the drug issue is way out of hand. But besides obvious  clearly impacted people highly visible in the City, Fremantle, and a few choice suburbs much is hidden. We are among the top cities, along with Adelaide for meth (ice) in the world. The streets have been 'cleaned up' in recent times somewhat (witnessed it in Fremantle) out of public gaze , but that and homelessness are indeed issues that have escalated over recent years.

Perth just spent some $5 Billion developing an area called Yagan Square  in the heart of the city. It reconnected the Centre (CBD) with Northbridge the entertainment area, and was supposed to give Federation Tower a run for it's money in Melbourne. I'm afraid a grand failure. Almost all business has left. (it was full of eateries and the like and open less than two years) It became an area inflicted by undesirables and witnessed on numerous occasions suspected drug dealings being undertaken. AS with much in Perth the prices were found wanting. No idea of what they intend to do with it but a further bad sign to Perth's plans. I recall the so called Cultural Centre a little further away open decades back (80's) to great enthusiasm by those responsible, only to become a place where many would fear to tread after dark, due to too many dark places and anti social elements lingering. 

There are numerous people I've met, that either will not go or don't feel comfortable in the entertainment area Northbridge , at least after hours. Same goes for public transport after I suppose about 8PM.  

The suburban sprawl will not suit all and results in Perth being among the most car dependent cities on earth. The 'smallness' of the place can be disconcerting. Often meet people know as in reality there are not a lot of places to go to wine and dine in the sense of areas. (considering the size and sprawl) It is rather expensive to eat out or at least can be. It was something we did with regularity in the 90's only to prune back somewhere in the 2000's as things became ever more expensive. 

26 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I think whether you like Perth or not depends on two things. 

A big one is where you're coming from.  You have to remember that 10 million of Australia's 25 million population live in Sydney and Melbourne.  They are both sprawling, bustling cities whose inner suburbs have a real buzz about them.  Though neither city is anything like London, like London they're big enough to support a huge array of shows, plays, concerts, sports, hobbies, you name it.  People who live there get used to being spoiled for choice.     

When Sydneysiders and Melburnians move to Perth, they find it dead by comparison.  That's surprising, because at 2 million people, you'd think Perth would be getting large enough to develop its own big-city buzz, but it hasn't really.  It still feels like a big country town, albeit with shiny modern buildings.   But of course, that quieter vibe might suit you to a tee.

The other consideration is where in Perth you choose to live.  Though Perth may feel like a country town, the reality is that it is a big city, and all big cities have a mix of leafy affluent suburbs and soulless dormitory estates, and everything in between.   On PomsinOz, I notice that a lot of migrants who are unhappy in Perth/Melbourne/Sydney have ended up in the soulless suburbs, attracted by the smart new houses in new developments, or forced out there by their budget. 

Indeed. Thing being it is difficult to come to terms with Perth being a city of two plus million people. It has a centre that would probably be the size of a mid European city of a quarter of a million. The sprawl is too significant to create any real buzz and the building of ever more medium density housing and apartments has yet to influence any change. 

Very important to pick a suburb that fits. Lots of social issues in a number  and check it out at night. Still very hard to decipher by casual looking. Often everywhere is quiet in appearance and not the gangs or groups of youths loitering as in some UK cities. Soulless  suburbs probably more a concern though for reasons there are quite a few. 

WOW, I was just looking at the population and despite the vocal ones on forums ''who would never live there'' ,i was shocked to read it has more UK and Irish people than Sydney. So it really cant be that bad. When reading negative comments ,ask yourself how many of those people have ever lived there, i would like to bet half havent. 

Perth's population is notable for the high proportion of British- and Irish-born residents. At the 2016 Census, 166,965 England-born Perth residents were counted, ahead of even Sydney (151,614), despite the latter having well over twice the population.

Cal x

• Like 2

Imagine if Perth had a trip advisor page!

My advice as a citizen of 12 years plus, come and decide for yourself.

There are many reasons that Perth comes in high up on many 'liveability' 'quality of life' surveys etc. 

The negatives for us? It's getting busier and more crowded. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, calNgary said:

WOW, I was just looking at the population and despite the vocal ones on forums ''who would never live there'' ,i was shocked to read it has more UK and Irish people than Sydney. So it really cant be that bad. When reading negative comments ,ask yourself how many of those people have ever lived there, i would like to bet half havent. 

Perth's population is notable for the high proportion of British- and Irish-born residents. At the 2016 Census, 166,965 England-born Perth residents were counted, ahead of even Sydney (151,614), despite the latter having well over twice the population.

Cal x

It's more than 3 decades since we lived in Perth but I thought it was a lovely place and it was very noticeable how many UK people lived there.  In Sydney it was much more culturally diverse and British accents were not heard nearly so much.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, calNgary said:

I don't think you can draw that conclusion at all, because you don't know what kind of UK and Irish people.

One of the things I often hear is that there's a kind of British ghetto in some Perth suburbs--a bit like the British ghettos in Spain, where people have left the UK but live in a little British bubble and have no interest in belonging to the country they've moved to.   

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

As with anywhere, some love it and some hate it. Those that hate it and want to leave tend to be very vocal on forums and rarely balance their own negative experiences by discussing the positives it offers. Perth is a big town rather than a small city which can be a pro or a con, depending on what you're looking for. For me, living inner city Sydney or Melbourne is too big and busy, I prefer further out in cities of that size, and to visit the bustling parts when I want it. In Perth, I prefer to live close to the city for more of a "vibe" and visit the parks and go further out to the beaches when I want that quieter vibe.

The biggest criticism of Perth is its isolation, but its not something I feel or notice. Monday to Friday you go to work like anywhere else in the world, doesnt matter if another city is a 5 hour drive or a 5 hour flight, you're not going there and the local neighbourhood is what matters. On the weekends there is plenty to do and (outside of Covid) a 3-5 hour flight can take you to Bali, Singapore, Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane. If you can handle the red eye flights you can leave in the evening and arrive before breakfast in another city on the east coast. Yes you can drive between the east coast cities if you choose to, but realistically you're going to fly between them anyway, just a shorter flight time. Within WA you can go North if you want subtropical or you can go South (as most do) to the South West region which incorporates many nice towns and the magnificent MArgaret River wine region. Perth also has the smaller scale Swan Valley wine region and you can get a river cruise from city to wineries if you're into that sort of thing. 

The biggest thing lacking in Perth for me is a mountain range/hills. Perth is a river and a beach, with a small hilly part towards Kalamunda, but it doesnt have the sort of geography you mught be used to in various parts of the UK so if hillwalking is your thing it might not be a good fit (although I know many people that enjoy hillwalking in Perth, just not the sort I'd be into). Perth is very much an outdoors lifestyle with people going to parks and beaches and BBQ's, with a concentrated mix of interesting bars and cafes etc, generally in specific areas (as others have said, outer suburbs tend to not have their own 'town centre'). To address some criticisms, I've never felt unsafe in Perth, ever. Like anywhere, if you're in certain areas at midnight you have to keep your wits about you or you might get into some bother, but thats just common sense. I've walked all parts of the city at all times of day and night and never had any trouble at all. I noticed recently that I've unintentionally fallen into a pattern of going out and leaving the front door unlocked if nipping to the shop or taking the dog out and I'd never, ever have done that in SCotland. Yes Perth has a drug problem, but day to day its not visible to you (assumign you avoid certain neighbourhoods) and I cant think of any city that doesnt have a drug problem.

If you like living in inner city Glasgow, Manchester, Liverpool, Cardiff, London etc then its probably not for you. If you like a laid back, relaxed lifestyle then it might be a good fit. Thats not to say there isnt any nightlife in Perth, there absolutely is and you can be out drinking til 4am if you want to. It's just harder to stumble from place to place like you might in a UK city and instead you have to be more targeted in where you go. Yagan square has been mentioned as a failure above and thats partially true, but its also unfinished. The design of the food court was terrible and didnt draw people into it, plus there is already a food court right across the road in Raine Square so it was silly planning. A new university campus is being built in Yagan square which will change the shape and feel of that area, plus for every Yagan square there is an Elizabeth Quay, which is going to be absolutely fantastic when its finished (it already is excellent) and will be like a mini Darling Harbour, but arguably with better views.

The only way to know is to try it really, you'll probably know within a few weeks whether its for you or not.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I don't think you can draw that conclusion at all, because you don't know what kind of UK and Irish people.

One of the things I often hear is that there's a kind of British ghetto in some Perth suburbs--a bit like the British ghettos in Spain, where people have left the UK but live in a little British bubble and have no interest in belonging to the country they've moved to.   

I think this is partially true, there are definitely areas where people have tried to recreate the UK in Perth. But one of my favourtie things about Perth is how multicultural it is, which cancels this out to a degree. The multicultural food options are really fantastic and only Melbourne stands out as being better in this regard. Sydney of course has a lot on offer in this regard but with Melbourne and Perth it feels more visible/in your face to me.

26 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

There are certainly some areas where there are a large number of Brits but they are hardly ghettos 😁 there are also some suburbs where there are high numbers of South Africans and Somalians. No different to how Richmond in Melbourne was in the past when the majority of families were Greek

Edited by Drumbeat
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I think this is partially true, there are definitely areas where people have tried to recreate the UK in Perth. But one of my favourtie things about Perth is how multicultural it is, which cancels this out to a degree. The multicultural food options are really fantastic and only Melbourne stands out as being better in this regard. Sydney of course has a lot on offer in this regard but with Melbourne and Perth it feels more visible/in your face to me.

I dont think theres anywhere remotely like Britain in Perth. Unless the odd British themed pub, bakery or chippy counts? 

Agree on the multiculturalism and the vibe changes depending on the suburb. Mirrabooka for example very different demographic to say Fremantle. 

In my street we have 2 British families (including us) Aussies, Vietnamese and Kiwi. Those I know anyway....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

A complete fabrication 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HappyHeart said:

A complete fabrication 

Are you sure?  I don't mean all Brits, of course.  I'm sure there are many Brits living happily in other suburbs of Perth who feel they belong in Australia, just as there are many Brits who have genuinely made their home in Spain.  

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

So are absolutely right. No conclusion at all. UK born population ranks among the older demographic from recall, with an average age being in the fifties. Hence a number would have come most likely as young children during the 50 Pound Pom days. 

It has been found that the highest concentrations of any foreign born in an area was indeed UK born in a few outer Perth suburbs. No idea why such high concentration. Spain, I suppose one can arrive at an understanding with language and cultural differences. Harder to fathom here. In earlier days it was more South of the river in places like Rockingham. Partly, I believe to do with many UK workers being recruited by BP and industry in the nearby Kwinana industrial site .

Possibly a lot in more recent times was due to cost. Cheaper property. Close enough in many cases to a beach and possibly not a lot of thought to other considerations. Like has been said, some will love it others will find it somewhat nightmarish

The kids will be the ones usually that will fit in. (if the parents don't or one part doesn't, as everywhere) Although I have known a few instances where kids did not and returned at first opportunity. . 

51 minutes ago, Drumbeat said:

There are certainly some areas where there are a large number of Brits but they are hardly ghettos 😁 there are also some suburbs where there are high numbers of South Africans and Somalians. No different to how Richmond in Melbourne was in the past when the majority of families were Greek

Some groups are noted in certain areas for sure. South Africans (usually white) are rather numerous but lack the same degree of concentration in locality compared to UK born. Somali's are too small in number to mention, but perhaps Sudanese is what is being referred? I suspect higher visibility makes that group appear more than there are in reality, 

As for Richmond in Melbourne, that has long shaken off its Greek domination, long been Vietnamese dominated going back to probably early nineties , if not before.

1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

As with anywhere, some love it and some hate it. Those that hate it and want to leave tend to be very vocal on forums and rarely balance their own negative experiences by discussing the positives it offers. Perth is a big town rather than a small city which can be a pro or a con, depending on what you're looking for. For me, living inner city Sydney or Melbourne is too big and busy, I prefer further out in cities of that size, and to visit the bustling parts when I want it. In Perth, I prefer to live close to the city for more of a "vibe" and visit the parks and go further out to the beaches when I want that quieter vibe.

The biggest criticism of Perth is its isolation, but its not something I feel or notice. Monday to Friday you go to work like anywhere else in the world, doesnt matter if another city is a 5 hour drive or a 5 hour flight, you're not going there and the local neighbourhood is what matters. On the weekends there is plenty to do and (outside of Covid) a 3-5 hour flight can take you to Bali, Singapore, Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane. If you can handle the red eye flights you can leave in the evening and arrive before breakfast in another city on the east coast. Yes you can drive between the east coast cities if you choose to, but realistically you're going to fly between them anyway, just a shorter flight time. Within WA you can go North if you want subtropical or you can go South (as most do) to the South West region which incorporates many nice towns and the magnificent MArgaret River wine region. Perth also has the smaller scale Swan Valley wine region and you can get a river cruise from city to wineries if you're into that sort of thing. 

The biggest thing lacking in Perth for me is a mountain range/hills. Perth is a river and a beach, with a small hilly part towards Kalamunda, but it doesnt have the sort of geography you mught be used to in various parts of the UK so if hillwalking is your thing it might not be a good fit (although I know many people that enjoy hillwalking in Perth, just not the sort I'd be into). Perth is very much an outdoors lifestyle with people going to parks and beaches and BBQ's, with a concentrated mix of interesting bars and cafes etc, generally in specific areas (as others have said, outer suburbs tend to not have their own 'town centre'). To address some criticisms, I've never felt unsafe in Perth, ever. Like anywhere, if you're in certain areas at midnight you have to keep your wits about you or you might get into some bother, but thats just common sense. I've walked all parts of the city at all times of day and night and never had any trouble at all. I noticed recently that I've unintentionally fallen into a pattern of going out and leaving the front door unlocked if nipping to the shop or taking the dog out and I'd never, ever have done that in SCotland. Yes Perth has a drug problem, but day to day its not visible to you (assumign you avoid certain neighbourhoods) and I cant think of any city that doesnt have a drug problem.

If you like living in inner city Glasgow, Manchester, Liverpool, Cardiff, London etc then its probably not for you. If you like a laid back, relaxed lifestyle then it might be a good fit. Thats not to say there isnt any nightlife in Perth, there absolutely is and you can be out drinking til 4am if you want to. It's just harder to stumble from place to place like you might in a UK city and instead you have to be more targeted in where you go. Yagan square has been mentioned as a failure above and thats partially true, but its also unfinished. The design of the food court was terrible and didnt draw people into it, plus there is already a food court right across the road in Raine Square so it was silly planning. A new university campus is being built in Yagan square which will change the shape and feel of that area, plus for every Yagan square there is an Elizabeth Quay, which is going to be absolutely fantastic when its finished (it already is excellent) and will be like a mini Darling Harbour, but arguably with better views.

The only way to know is to try it really, you'll probably know within a few weeks whether its for you or not.

I've touched base with you on the drug issue in Perth and my original statement stands. We have a major drug issue, not only in Perth, but in much of WA. As I have previously mentioned we are close to top in consumption of the dreadful drug Meth (ice) in the world. The sad thing it has become increasingly mainstream involved, people who by most appearances appear respectable and play the role well. 

I think Yagan Square is all too reflective  of too many outcomes in Perth including The Bell Tower. Although I give full points to the new museum . QE Quay, in my view has nowhere reached the potential we were led to believe such a structure would become. Not saying it's bad. Just not (yet) displaying potential which seemed to be completely transforming this city. The $5 billion waste of money at Yagan Square just further underlines poor outcomes in Perth or at least where expectations are dashed. 

The new university campus may well kick it off. Time will tell. But we need a greater diversity in population, than an over reliance in students in order to bring vibe and a buzz to the city IMO. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

Are you sure?  I don't mean all Brits, of course.  I'm sure there are many Brits living happily in other suburbs of Perth who feel they belong in Australia, just as there are many Brits who have genuinely made their home in Spain.  

I don’t know of any British ghettos- I think that’s a step too far. The far northern and far southern coastal suburbs attract many a new migrant, some settle, some don’t… but they are always outnumbered by their Australian counterparts. I think it’s a bit of a myth. In my experience anyway- and I do a lot of travelling up and down the various suburbs meeting a variety of folk. 

1 hour ago, Blue Flu said:

Some groups are noted in certain areas for sure. South Africans (usually white) are rather numerous but lack the same degree of concentration in locality compared to UK born. Somali's are too small in number to mention, but perhaps Sudanese is what is being referred? I suspect higher visibility makes that group appear more than there are in reality, 

As for Richmond in Melbourne, that has long shaken off its Greek domination, long been Vietnamese dominated going back to probably early nineties , if not before.

Huge South African population in Perth. I know lots of them. If you send your kids to a Christian school Poms are outnumbered. 

24 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

Huge South African population in Perth. I know lots of them. If you send your kids to a Christian school Poms are outnumbered. 

Well  Saffa's make up about 1.8% or under 50,000 . I used to go to Bok events at Leederville Hotel because those ceased. Almost total South African.  Quite numerous. More Indian born these days of course. (already over 2%) Nothing can match the UK born though. Suburbs like Jindalee have a UK born of 42%. Highest of any one country birthplace anywhere in Australia.The so called Heart of Little Britain.

36 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

I don’t know of any British ghettos- I think that’s a step too far. The far northern and far southern coastal suburbs attract many a new migrant, some settle, some don’t… but they are always outnumbered by their Australian counterparts. I think it’s a bit of a myth. In my experience anyway- and I do a lot of travelling up and down the various suburbs meeting a variety of folk. 

As I mentioned a population of 43% born in one country, as is Jindalee,  if not a ghetto then certainly a place of near colonization surely?

Edited by Blue Flu