Thomas_76

RRV and Citizenship

Hello.  I'm hoping to move back to the UK from Australia early next year, either permanently or for an extended time.

I currently have a 189 Visa and a citizenship application pending (VIC).  The travel facility on my 189 Visa expires early 2022.

Could someone offer advice on my options please?  I'd prefer to get citizenship as I'm eligible, but at the same time I'm desperate to get back to the UK as like many others I've not seen family for so long. I understand processing times can be long and I'm not certain I can wait.

I understand the process of getting a 155 RRV is easy enough if you fit the criteria, but I don't know if being out of the country would stop the processing of my citizenship application (I suspect it does).  

Thanks to anyone who can help out.

Your RRV should come through in a matter of days, and holding a RRV has no impact on the progress of your ctiizenship application, so I'd suggest going ahead and getting it regardless.  It's a safety net.  

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Just now, Marisawright said:

Your RRV should come through in a matter of days, and holding a RRV has no impact on the progress of your ctiizenship application, so I'd suggest going ahead and getting it regardless.  It's a safety net.  

Thank you for your response Marisawright.  That's good to know.  Are you aware if actually being overseas affects the citizenship application?  I thought I'd read that I'd need to be in Australia for it to be granted.

Thanks again. 🙂

1 hour ago, Thomas_76 said:

Thank you for your response Marisawright.  That's good to know.  Are you aware if actually being overseas affects the citizenship application?  I thought I'd read that I'd need to be in Australia for it to be granted.

Yes, you do need to be in Australia for it to be granted.   You need to let them know if you're going overseas and then I think perhaps, they stop processing until you get back.  But I don't know if that applies for a short holiday, or if it only applies if you're going to be absent for an extended period.

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

You need to be onshore for approval after the test and for the ceremony.  Timelines are all over the place at the moment and some are being sorted in a few months while some have languished for years! And even if you don’t tell them they know if you are not onshore.

So many wineries ......so little time :yes: