Moving to Melbourne 2021/22

Captain Ron

8 minutes ago, calNgary said:

70 ish km?  Hubby has done a similar distance twice daily for 15 years, 2 girls i work with do a similar length commute,,  plenty of people drive an hour to work so its not that long really to be fair.

Cal x

It is when you’re battling with the Mexicans…

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, calNgary said:

70 ish km?  Hubby has done a similar distance twice daily for 15 years, 2 girls i work with do a similar length commute,....

The kilometres doesn't matter, it's the traffic and driving conditions you have to look at.   

When I first arrived in Australia, I did a 100km commute for about a year. But I came out of my garage onto an empty country road, and could drive at 100km/h all the way to the driveway of the college, so it was an hour's commute each way.    But when I lived in Oatley in NSW, it was less than 30km to the city centre, and yet it was a good hour's commute by car.

Torquay to Melbourne CBD is about 100km and takes over an hour even on a quiet Sunday.  It would be much worse than that in rush hour, I expect.  If the person works on the Western outskirts of Melbourne (e.g. Werribee) and doesn't have to fight all the way through city traffic, that would be more manageable, of course.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, calNgary said:

70 ish km?  Hubby has done a similar distance twice daily for 15 years, 2 girls i work with do a similar length commute,,  plenty of people drive an hour to work so its not that long really to be fair.

Cal x

100+km actually.  Most of it on the Westgate Freeway which can be very good or not so good depending on the traffic and the other drivers.  They reckon about an hour and a half into central Melbourne.

• Like 1