Moving to Melbourne 2021/22

Captain Ron

4 hours ago, Parley said:

Are you planning to buy or rent? Do you know your budget if buying?

I'm also in Eastern Suburbs but closer in. All depends on your budget.

Hi Parley, we will have to rent for some time before buying.  As for area we like Cheltenham, Sandringham, Camberwell and surrounds, Brighton. etc but will have to get there first and have a good look around.  Also have schools to consider.

23 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Lol!! If only I knew which beach was which?? 😃

This gets me very excited for our move - thank you so much!!! 🙂

Mostly Bayside from Hampton through Sandringham to Black Rock and Half Moon Bay.

The bottom ones are down at Chelsea / Bonbeach and Seaford. 

Don't agree that either the sand or the bay is generally "dirty".  We've dolphins. whales ( last weekend) all manner of bird and sea life. The beaches are pretty clean and also mechanically regular cleaned.  The water is often crystal clear particularly in summer.  I avoid St kilda beach.  Anywhere South of Middle Brighton is pretty awesome in terms of cleanliness. 

After storms like anywhere it gets churned up, but to say we have a city of 5 million people around its shores and a river flowing into it,  i think it's pretty good. 

If you want the ocean its only an hour's drive. 

I really love the bay. its moods and light are absolutely fantastic and ever changing. the sun sets over the bay from bayside suburbs and its honestly as good as santorini at times.  Sorry to derail the thread! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jimmyay1 said:

Mostly Bayside from Hampton through Sandringham to Black Rock and Half Moon Bay.

The bottom ones are down at Chelsea / Bonbeach and Seaford. 

Don't agree that either the sand or the bay is generally "dirty".  We've dolphins. whales ( last weekend) all manner of bird and sea life. The beaches are pretty clean and also mechanically regular cleaned.  The water is often crystal clear particularly in summer.  I avoid St kilda beach.  Anywhere South of Middle Brighton is pretty awesome in terms of cleanliness. 

After storms like anywhere it gets churned up, but to say we have a city of 5 million people around its shores and a river flowing into it,  i think it's pretty good. 

If you want the ocean its only an hour's drive. 

I really love the bay. its moods and light are absolutely fantastic and ever changing. the sun sets over the bay from bayside suburbs and its honestly as good as santorini at times.  Sorry to derail the thread! 

You haven't derailed the thread at all Jimmy it's great to have your perspective.  If I wanted perfect beaches I would move somewhere that offered just that!  I would take what you have there over our pebbled beach/shipping lane any day of the week!  

Happy to say Im so excited to get to Melbourne and experience all it has to offer 🙂 

4 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Hi Parley, we will have to rent for some time before buying.  As for area we like Cheltenham, Sandringham, Camberwell and surrounds, Brighton. etc but will have to get there first and have a good look around.  Also have schools to consider.

Sounds like you have a lot of money. I would choose Hawthorn / Camberwell/ Canterbury. In your shoes. I'm assuming a $3m plus budget given the suburbs you are picking.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I lived in Camberwel for five years. It's a great place to live but i wouldn't call it a child friendly suburb. Don't get me wrong, it's a very safe place and the schools are good but you are a fair way from the beach and it's altogether a more 'mature' place to live. We were early fifties when we lived there and i would suggest it's a perfect place for that demographic.

• Like 2

Normally Melbourne is a great city. Not just now as I am sure you are aware. I've lived here most of my life and we have never had it like this. We are not beach goers but we do have a holiday house down at the island which we are not allowed to visit just now. The beaches are mostly fine, even close to the city. I have never come across a dirty one but maybe I am lucky. It's been nearly 50 years, though. We like the Eastern suburbs ourselves with lots of trees, rivers and greenery, good private and public schools and a stone's throw from the Yarra Valley but it is a personal thing. It is very safe, you don't need to lock your door but I expect that will change one day the way things are. 

• Like 1

I would seriously consider whether moving to (or staying in) Melbourne is a wise decision. It's had a shocker of a pandemic. The impact of it on the city's economy is going to be felt for a long time to come. People are leaving in droves, in particularly to Qld. 

Melbourne really doesn't offer much at all now or any time soon. As Paul Keating once said, if you're not in Sydney, you're just camping.

Edited by DIG85
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, DIG85 said:

As Paul Keating once said, if you're not in Sydney, you're just camping.

Pay no attention to that.   Sydneysiders make a career out of badmouthing Melbourne and it's absolute rubbish.   I don't know why the two cities are so competitive, or why they feel the only way to win the non-existent "race" is to make nasty, snide remarks.   

I lived in Sydney for over 30 years and loved it.  It will always be home, pity I can't afford it any more.  But I now live in Melbourne and love it too.

One is not better than the other, they are just different and will suit different people.   Sydney's harbour and coast are gorgeous to look at and the weather is often glorious, and if you're a beach lover, that will suit you.   Melbourne isn't glamorous, but it's excellent for day-to-day living, as most suburbs still have their own high street (unlike Sydney where Westfield has killed most of them off) and public transport is better.  I certainly wouldn't come to Melbourne if you want a beach lifestyle, but not everyone lives for the beach.   For anyone into arts, crafts or other indoor hobbies, Melbourne is fantastic. And while the changeable climate may not suit everyone, it suits those who don't cope well with humid heat, and it's great for gardeners - on my daily walks, I pass gardens bursting with olives, oranges, apricots, figs, lemons, and more.  In Sydney, you'd need gallons of pesticide to keep the fruit flies at bay.  

So, both cities have pros and cons and I could not say one is better than the other.  It will depend on the individual.

Yes, we have had a shocker of a pandemic, and I am concerned it will affect the café culture and the amazing creative community we enjoyed before Covid.  We shall see.  

Do you have some recent statistics about how many people are leaving?   Back in February, there were reports of people leaving "in droves", but actually, more people were leaving Sydney than Melbourne at that time.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-02/abs-data-confirms-city-exodus-during-covid/13112868

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 3

These figures were published a couple of months ago.

'' Residents departing from Melbourne in the March quarter2021were most likely to settle in regional Victoria (44,100 people), but there are also large flows to New South Wales (19,900 people) andQueensland (20,300 people). The distribution of departures from Melbourne follows historical patterns, however the increase in the level of departures from Melbourne is the largest since the start of this series.

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/melburnians-head-for-the-country-and-brisbane-in-wake-of-virus-20210803-p58fij.html

https://population.gov.au/docs/econote_prime_march_2021.pdf

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, calNgary said:

'' Residents departing from Melbourne in the March quarter2021were most likely to settle in regional Victoria (44,100 people), but there are also large flows to New South Wales (19,900 people) andQueensland (20,300 people). The distribution of departures from Melbourne follows historical patterns, however the increase in the level of departures from Melbourne is the largest since the start of this series.

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/melburnians-head-for-the-country-and-brisbane-in-wake-of-virus-20210803-p58fij.html

Interesting, but they are March figures.  In that article in February, more people were actually leaving Sydney than Melbourne.  I was more interested to know how they compare now.

7 hours ago, DIG85 said:

I would seriously consider whether moving to (or staying in) Melbourne is a wise decision. It's had a shocker of a pandemic. The impact of it on the city's economy is going to be felt for a long time to come. People are leaving in droves, in particularly to Qld. 

Melbourne really doesn't offer much at all now or any time soon. As Paul Keating once said, if you're not in Sydney, you're just camping.

In my opinion the economy will bounce back very quickly. People haven't been spending or travelling, there's huge pent up demand to get out and have a good time.

Paul Keating should keep his opinions to himself.

• Like 2

On 14/10/2021 at 05:16, calNgary said:

And how many came, they don't say? 🙂 It seems to me that you can't assess the departure of people from Melbourne without considering the arrival of people.

13 minutes ago, Pokitren said:

And how many came, they don't say? 🙂 It seems to me that you can't assess the departure of people from Melbourne without considering the arrival of people.

Figures within the quoted documents show *net* internal migration numbers, ie. the difference between numbers arriving and numbers leaving.  For  Melbourne 32,200 more people left for elsewhere in Oz than arrived from elsewhere in Oz (in March 2021 quarter).  For Sydney the net migration loss was 31,600 for the same quarter.  This reversed the trend of the previous year when Sydney's net migration loss was larger than Melbourne's.

1 hour ago, Pokitren said:

No idea although going off what you hear there was a lot ,hence rentals and homes are massively in demand in QLD and prices have shot up. I did a quick Google for you and found this (It is from August though) - 

"Queensland gained the most people from net interstate migration (+7,000) over the March 2021 quarter, while Victoria lost the most (-4,900), closely followed by New South Wales (-4,500)," the ABS noted.

https://www.skynews.com.au/australia-news/thousands-leave-victoria-and-nsw-behind-for-other-parts-of-australia-with-qlds-population-surging/news-story/3ff9a99e9466d1b7e7cf3d21d8c7d7fd

13 hours ago, Skani said:

Figures within the quoted documents show *net* internal migration numbers, ie. the difference between numbers arriving and numbers leaving.  For  Melbourne 32,200 more people left for elsewhere in Oz than arrived from elsewhere in Oz (in March 2021 quarter).  For Sydney the net migration loss was 31,600 for the same quarter.  This reversed the trend of the previous year when Sydney's net migration loss was larger than Melbourne's.

Sydney and Melbourne almost neck and neck, in other words.  But they're pretty old numbers now.

12 hours ago, calNgary said:

No idea although going off what you hear there was a lot ,hence rentals and homes are massively in demand in QLD and prices have shot up. I did a quick Google for you and found this (It is from August though) - 

"Queensland gained the most people from net interstate migration (+7,000) over the March 2021 quarter, while Victoria lost the most (-4,900), closely followed by New South Wales (-4,500)," the ABS noted.

https://www.skynews.com.au/australia-news/thousands-leave-victoria-and-nsw-behind-for-other-parts-of-australia-with-qlds-population-surging/news-story/3ff9a99e9466d1b7e7cf3d21d8c7d7fd

Traditionally a lot of people retire to QLD from the southern states.

Having lived in Brisbane twice, Sydney twice and Melbourne twice over 25 years... they all have something to offer.

Sydney - great beaches and some stunning views. If you have enough money to live in the Northern Beaches it is a very compelling city. However, most people cannot afford that and are stuck 40k from the CBD in the Western suburbs. House prices astronomical even tens of kilometres from the good bits!

Brisbane - the winters are glorious, the summers can be stiflingly humid. Not as sophisticated as Sydney and Melbourne. If you like BBQ, swimming pools and not wearing shoes it's ideal. Housing still reasonably affordable.

Melbourne - easily my favourite city. Probably in the world, now that San Francisco has been trashed. The "Sporting, Music and Food" capital depending on who you ask. Very cosmopolitan, fantastic public transport, diverse and trendy. Very good food and coffee. The weather is much more like the UK...but with more sunshine in Summer. Housing can be extremely expensive and fewer and fewer bargain suburbs left.

It all comes down to personal preference.

• Like 4

On 23/10/2021 at 19:46, Marisawright said:

Great summary, @DanO.  Agree with everything you say.   Sydney is great if you can afford to live close to the coast, which I no longer can.

I would just say that while Melbourne housing is still expensive compared to most of Australia, it's still only about two-thirds the cost of Sydney for an equivalent property.   

But then again, if you are going to live in an international city, you can stick with Sydney, and only that adherence that, Sydney provides. Ask most travellers worldwide about Melbourne Australia and you will draw a blank.

I hate to say this but its true, In my own experience Melbourne has always been a union town, and that is not helpful to Victorians,   

I like parts of Melbourne, especially the Asian restaurants in Richmond, but its a good night out, and that does not transpire to any notion living there. I also like Adelaide as an unpretentious fun town and as a Sydney-sider, I would rather be in Adelaide, 

I would not live in Melbourne, but I could very well live in Port Fairy and other coastal towns along the Great Ocean Road in Victoria. No offence intended to Melbourne, but its just the wrong vibe for me. Its coffee and AFL and a chip on the shoulder.

Now, your suggestion about living in Sydney, I have moved house six times across Sydney and on each occasion have had a better outcome on each occasion. Yep, the northern beaches "the peninsula" are way out of my budget. But there is so much going on in Sydney, especially in the transport sector, which has to be one of the worlds greatest cities to get around by surface rail, underground rail, light rail, street trams, buses and ferries etc.

Even as a kid I still love to cruise across to Manly on the ferry and now I take my grandchildren on that Sydney institution.

No problem. If you like Melbourne then go for it.

Edited by Dusty Plains
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

Gosh, that's a long trek.  

70 ish km?  Hubby has done a similar distance twice daily for 15 years, 2 girls i work with do a similar length commute,,  plenty of people drive an hour to work so its not that long really to be fair.

Cal x