We made it to Perth!

Nyxkat

1 hour ago, Parley said:

You need to wear Doc Martens to walk around on those beaches..

http://assets.heart.co.uk/2014/17/brighton-beach-1398693871.jpg

Not really. A pair of flip flops will do. Not too unlike many times in Australia, just for different reasons. Here in OZ it is the burning sand. Actually Brighton Beach would be by far the beach I mostly went. The picture showed blue skies, the lovely pier, but not a soul in sight. Not at all like Brighton on a sunny day.

7 hours ago, Parley said:

and the phenomenon called sand, something unheard of in England.

Luckily we don't have to cope with razor sharp pebbles slicing up our feet when enjoying a simple paddle.

Actually beaches come in many forms in UK. Something to suit most everyone. You can surf, sit on a deck chair, visit a pier where appropriate, some great promenades to be had, al in all outside of the traffic chaos, hard to beat a day at the English seaside. Traditional like nowhere else I can think off.   

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Blue Flu said:

Actually beaches come in many forms in UK. Something to suit most everyone. You can surf, sit on a deck chair, visit a pier where appropriate, some great promenades to be had, al in all outside of the traffic chaos, hard to beat a day at the English seaside. Traditional like nowhere else I can think off.   

And all in the pouring rain and biting wind.    

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

But if the beaches of the UK are so great, why is there such a massive exodus of Brits to the beaches of the Mediterranean, many of them more than once a year?

Well a few reasons that spring to mind. 

Not all beaches in UK are so great.

The 'great British summer'  can indeed mean a week wrapped up in water proofs looking out inside over a grey sky and equally grey sea. 

Med offers some great deals in guaranteed sunshine and freedom to cut loose for the younger crowd. 

Simply going abroad is more exotic. You may as well ask why West Aussies dominate Bali. Almost an off shore Provence. Is that due to poor Perth beaches? 

1 hour ago, Bulya said:

Don't think I ever had a summer in England where wasn't a brown as a berry come September. Wind being something of a feature at Perth beaches. Yes rain can be an issue. But all part of the experience. When I lived in Sussex I swam most everyday in season .  

2 hours ago, Bulya said:

I remember the last holiday we had in Cornwall, it rained almost non stop for 2 weeks. My husband couldn’t come, and I was stuck there in a caravan,  with 3 bored moaning children and my aged mother, we never had another family holiday there again ( and I really love the place as my family is Cornish). If the weathers good, a great place, but that was one of too many soggy holidays. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, ramot said:

I remember the last holiday we had in Cornwall, it rained almost non stop for 2 weeks. My husband couldn’t come, and I was stuck there in a caravan,  with 3 bored moaning children and my aged mother, we never had another family holiday there again ( and I really love the place as my family is Cornish). If the weathers good, a great place, but that was one of too many soggy holidays. 

We did a camping holiday in Cornwall.  Knickerbocker Glory the only decent thing as it rained all day every day.  We moved to God’s country not long after…  

13 hours ago, Marisawright said:

But if the beaches of the UK are so great, why is there such a massive exodus of Brits to the beaches of the Mediterranean, many of them more than once a year?

You can't rely on the weather and the quality of hotels for the price is much better. I've been to Weymouth and Bournemouth a couple of times in "summer" and had maybe one day where you could go to the beach. Rest of the time you'd be struggling to find things to kill the time, mostly sat in a pub.

11 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

Well a few reasons that spring to mind. 

Not all beaches in UK are so great.

The 'great British summer'  can indeed mean a week wrapped up in water proofs looking out inside over a grey sky and equally grey sea. 

Med offers some great deals in guaranteed sunshine and freedom to cut loose for the younger crowd. 

Simply going abroad is more exotic. You may as well ask why West Aussies dominate Bali. Almost an off shore Provence. Is that due to poor Perth beaches? 

Quality of hotels for the price in Bali must be some of the best in the World. Only been twice but the best hotel We've ever stayed in was Intercontinental on Jimbaran Beach. Other time was The Conrad near Noosa Dua. Brilliant and very cheap flights to get there. Love the breakfasts, service, massive rooms, facilities.

Ddon't know when we'll feel safe enough to go again though. Was going to meet my Sister there and then come back here for a few weeks. Can't see that happening for a while. Pity.

• Like 2

Definitely Bali prices beat the rip off cost here anyway. Not a big fan of Bali, but first went there in late seventies and enjoyed the simplicity. Plenty of great  opportunities exist in much of Asia. 

But like you no idea when it will be safe again to venture most anywhere. Which in turn of course mean, that the local product will become ever more expensive. 

On 03/01/2022 at 22:55, ramot said:

I remember the last UK camping holiday I ever had, also to Cornwall but a very long time ago...it rained for 2 weeks and my mum and dad had to put up a wet tent and take it down 3 times as we roamed around.  The tent was never dry during the entire holiday and i remember my parents were so pissed off...never again.  From then onwards we went to the Loire or Dordogne, never camped in the UK again.

I have got back into it over here, totally different experience and very popular....much easier with pop up tents.

23 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Quality of hotels for the price in Bali must be some of the best in the World. Only been twice but the best hotel We've ever stayed in was Intercontinental on Jimbaran Beach. Other time was The Conrad near Noosa Dua. Brilliant and very cheap flights to get there. Love the breakfasts, service, massive rooms, facilities.

Ddon't know when we'll feel safe enough to go again though. Was going to meet my Sister there and then come back here for a few weeks. Can't see that happening for a while. Pity.

I liked Bali, but not as much as Thailand or Vietnam, I didn't rate the beaches that much.  Khao Lak is great if you like peace, cheaper than Phuket for a lot of things.   I prefer the non-muslim countries, just feels a lot more relaxed and of course alcohol is cheaper !

I guess in Perth it's a lot quicker to get to any of those places.

On 03/01/2022 at 19:52, Marisawright said:

I guess because there are a lot of very shallow, boring people for whom the beach is the be all and end all.

Edited by DIG85
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Cup Final 1973 said:

Vera is set in Northumberland not Yorkshire Parley.  Even further north Bulya!

The picture I posted was Northumberland, it has some beautiful beaches. The stories in Vera are usually fairly bleak and the effects used in filming reflects that.