We made it to Perth!

Nyxkat

16 minutes ago, Nyxkat said:

I have seen some signs for it haha! I think our first stop will be Perth zoo though. We have been to Caversham a few years ago on holidays but not made it to Perth zoo yet. (We both like zoos haha)

Perth zoo is lovely, especially if you like orang-utans 😍

• Like 1

On 24/09/2021 at 11:20, Nyxkat said:

We have a friend in success so we have been looking in the surrounding suburbs. We have just got a place to rent (yay!) In leeming for a year so we will be looking into this area some more. It was on our shortlist of 'burbs to check out anyway hehe.

Haven't been to secret Harbour yet but I am sure we will visit when we have set up home a bit more and had time to rest haha.

I'm in Leeming too - Welcome to our suburb

• Like 1

It really is! We like the short drive into the city for sure! And we will likely hop into freo in the week too.

I think we are finally winding down from the 'out every day for a lot of the day locating appliances and furniture' now and moving to the 'waiting for final deliveries and settling' in phase.

We got nbn ordered and bills sorted plus got the cats registered too! We might even get to relax soon haha

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I'm now officially on my bridging visa and the real wait starts. We've settled in pretty well here and the cats are finally more relaxed and enjoying the new space. Now onto the job search. Applied for my tfn already.

It all feels a million miles (or kilometers!) Away since we were in quarantine waiting for meals and washing our utensils the bathroom sink!

If anyone reading this is sat in quarantine thinking "Well this sucks" its okay. It's not that long in the grand scheme of things and it gets so much better so fast after you get out.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Nyxkat said:

I'm now officially on my bridging visa and the real wait starts. We've settled in pretty well here and the cats are finally more relaxed and enjoying the new space. Now onto the job search. Applied for my tfn already.

It all feels a million miles (or kilometers!) Away since we were in quarantine waiting for meals and washing our utensils the bathroom sink!

If anyone reading this is sat in quarantine thinking "Well this sucks" its okay. It's not that long in the grand scheme of things and it gets so much better so fast after you get out.

Good to hear!  We are pretty settled apart from work!  Rental, schools, medicare etc all sorted, and I was very close to a job which unfortunately I missed out on a month ago.  Have to be patient as there are not many jobs at my fairly senior level around.  We also go our car this week.

Have spent A LOT of money since we arrived, so getting a job sooner rather than later would be good!

3 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Good to hear!  We are pretty settled apart from work!  Rental, schools, medicare etc all sorted, and I was very close to a job which unfortunately I missed out on a month ago.  Have to be patient as there are not many jobs at my fairly senior level around.  We also go our car this week.

Have spent A LOT of money since we arrived, so getting a job sooner rather than later would be good!

Yeah there have been a couple I missed out on too. One the closing date was a week before my visitor visa send the other one was an immediate turn down at application, I suspect because of my visa status. But I will keep at it haha.

Its trickier because I can't drive, never learnt in the UK  so I am having to get some cycling stamina built up! There's not a lot around where we live. The other option is cycling to Murdoch Station and commuting into the CBD.

We have been out of quarantine since Tuesday this week and its been a whirlwind of getting stuff sorted. We managed to sort a lot in quarantine such as sim cards and TFN's. I had a couple of job interviews and have one tomorrow, have also been offered two positions just narrowing down which one suits and we was lucky as my wife already had a job to come to. Straight out we sorted our banking first day, driving licences after that and medicare. Wife had inductions and we picked our new car up on Friday that we bought in quarantine. We are staying with friends which is lucky, as we went to look at a rental and it was crazy. We are in a fortunate position and offered slightly more a week than advertised and offered to pay the full 12 months upfront but I still don't know if that will clinch it. Was happy when the weekend came so we could catch our breath for two days, although typical pom sunburnt on first trip to the beach and was only there two hours and put loads of cream on so going to have to be extra careful in future. 

How did you guys get on with rentals? And good luck with the job hunt!

• Like 2

We were lucky and got the rental we wanted by offering 6 months up front. We're trying to sell the house in the UK so we have this rental for a year and we will buy when the sale goes through. Gives us time to look and find the right place.

What a whirlwind indeed! Great that you got so much sorted in such little time. 😀 good luck with your new roles!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig Colas said:

sunburnt on first trip to the beach and was only there two hours and put loads of cream on so going to have to be extra careful in future.

The UV is brutal here - if I’m out for 10-15 mins without sunscreen I get sunburn. I now wear sunscreen every day, year round, when I leave the house. If out at the beach or park I’ll slabber more on every 30-40 minutes as sweat and water affect it.

Also heard an interesting thing on the radio last week from Dr Karl - he said there are two types of sunscreen - zinc and chemical. Recent studies have apparently shown that if you mix them when reapplying sunscreen, it reduces efficacy by something like 85%, so you’re not protected. If you put zinc on in the morning only reapply with zinc sunscreen, if the bottle doesn’t mention zinc it’s chemical based and stick with chemicals only when reapplying. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

The UV is brutal here - if I’m out for 10-15 mins without sunscreen I get sunburn. I now wear sunscreen every day, year round, when I leave the house. If out at the beach or park I’ll slabber more on every 30-40 minutes as sweat and water affect it.

Also heard an interesting thing on the radio last week from Dr Karl - he said there are two types of sunscreen - zinc and chemical. Recent studies have apparently shown that if you mix them when reapplying sunscreen, it reduces efficacy by something like 85%, so you’re not protected. If you put zinc on in the morning only reapply with zinc sunscreen, if the bottle doesn’t mention zinc it’s chemical based and stick with chemicals only when reapplying. 

Thats good advice about the sunscreen thanks for that. We was only there for a couple of hours and covered ourselves and the kids where all covered thankfully so they are fine. I was in the ocean for a while tho so that was probably what did it. Lesson learned for next time. Thankfully looks a little cooler over the coming days so i can recover 😂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MacGyver said:

It is brutal.  I remember years ago being in Busselton and had covered myself in factor 50 sun cream after my morning shower and again a while later whilst on the beach.  Still I burnt so bad.  That evening I drove to a shop to get some food and the two women in there started laughing when they saw me.  They said (very nicely) you must be a Pom.  They were very amused but very helpful and they told me to put cold tea on my burnt bits.  That was the worst burning I’ve ever had.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Craig Colas said:

Thats good advice about the sunscreen thanks for that. We was only there for a couple of hours and covered ourselves and the kids where all covered thankfully so they are fine. I was in the ocean for a while tho so that was probably what did it. Lesson learned for next time. Thankfully looks a little cooler over the coming days so i can recover 😂

Remember cooler doesn’t mean less UV unless it’s actually cloudy.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Craig Colas said:

Thankfully looks a little cooler over the coming days so i can recover 😂

Air temperature is not necessarily related to UV strength.  There is a very good phone app called SunSmart which will give you real time information for your particular location.  

• Like 1

If you are spending a lot of time in the sea wear a UV smart rashie.  Theses are good for kids too. Oh and I can still get a tan wearing factor 50 and sitting in shade but I don’t burn.  I did once burn a bit at a concert though, my blouse was thin cotton and the sun penetrated through!

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

If you are spending a lot of time in the sea wear a UV smart rashie.  Theses are good for kids too. Oh and I can still get a tan wearing factor 50 and sitting in shade but I don’t burn.  I did once burn a bit at a concert though, my blouse was thin cotton and the sun penetrated through!

I'm the same - don't burn but I am careful.  I have a tan and summer doesn't begin for a couple of days yet.  I think the worst thing anybody can do is lie out in the sun when their skin hasn't been exposed to the sun for months.  Far better to start with ten minutes or so - still being very careful with suncream - and gradually lengthen the time sitting out in the sun.  I try to stick to the shade and apart from drying off in the sun after a swim and shower, I don't like staying in the strong sun at all.  Most of the kids wear the UV rashies here at the beach.

I am aware of the differences between temperature and UV level i just meant recover temperature wise while i sit around but thank you. Yer the kids have those rashies as you call them, they was absolutely fine. As i say i was the only one completely in the water and was the only one who got a little burned. 

53 minutes ago, Craig Colas said:

I am aware of the differences between temperature and UV level i just meant recover temperature wise while i sit around but thank you. Yer the kids have those rashies as you call them, they was absolutely fine. As i say i was the only one completely in the water and was the only one who got a little burned. 

One more point - are you aware that most sunscreens take at least 20 minutes to become effective.  So if you wait till you're out in the sun before you put them on, you've got 20 minutes unprotected sun exposure and that's enough to burn.

19 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

One more point - are you aware that most sunscreens take at least 20 minutes to become effective.  So if you wait till you're out in the sun before you put them on, you've got 20 minutes unprotected sun exposure and that's enough to burn.

Yes thank you. Just got caught short yesterday being in the ocean for a good hour. Was only there 2 hours total but shows you how strong it is. Will have to be more liberal with applying it throughout the time being there. 

I've not experienced this apparent pom initiation rite as yet, possibly because I'm careful and haven't spent a long time out in the direct sunlight yet or been in the sea.

I wear sunscreen and use the same bottle to re apply. I was told as a kid not to mix sunscreens but now I also know why! Thanks 😊

I also have very sun resistant skin. I'm still pale as all heck despite walking around Rockingham for a good hour yesterday, though I do use factor 30.

Haven't dared show my legs yet in case i blind anyone. Haha.

• Haha 1