Wanderer Returns

How much do you need to retire in Australia in 2021?

On 21/09/2021 at 10:15, Paul1Perth said:

Personally I'm loving retirement, my wife retired too a few weeks ago, she loves it.

I think you need a good group of friends and a routine though. My wife is down the beach this morning for 7:30 yoga, it's really nice weather today so I'll go to the gym then meet her down the beach later. Maybe take the surf ski or paddle board out. Played golf yesterday, after a ski paddle in the morning with friends.

Because we're still members of a surf club and live very close there's always someone organising something. Mostly free, my wife pays a little bit for yoga but she goes training and swimming with a group and the coach that organises that doesn't charge anything. They just say they are doing the session anyway, come if you want.

A few of the guys I played golf with yesterday are retired. Most ex Woodside FIFO workers, retired early (well a lot earlier than me at 66) and they all have a big group of friends and things to do.

It was strange listening to them chat after about FIFO swings. The swings keep changing, my son and the younger ones are on 3 weeks on 3 weeks off. The older guys used to do 2 on 2 off then get the odd 4 week off. They said they preffered that as 3 weeks didn't give you long enough to have a proper holiday.😆

It's a different world to normal workers that have to save up for their one summer family holiday a year.

I think if your social life was more involved with work and work colleagues then it would be tougher to retire. You'd lose touch, be out of the loop and possibly wouldn't be able to enjoy the chat when you did catch up. My work mates and social mates were totally different, there is one friend from work I see socially the others were more interested in computers and gaming. Now I've retired I have zero interest in that.

Interesting, @Paul1Perth. I was one of the first on that contract, when the venture was first being built. My room was No.208 on Heirsson Cove. When I left some six months later, there were over 3500 units similar to mine. We only had  3 months on to 1 week off. "The tank farm" had only just been started when I left to start another contract 2000 km closer to home.

Good times!

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bobj said:

Interesting, @Paul1Perth. I was one of the first on that contract, when the venture was first being built. My room was No.208 on Heirsson Cove. When I left some six months later, there were over 3500 units similar to mine. We only had  3 months on to 1 week off. "The tank farm" had only just been started when I left to start another contract 2000 km closer to home.

Good times!

Cheers, Bobj.

Was the money good then Bob? My son said last week he only works 21 weeks a year and earns a lot more than I ever did. Trouble is he spends it too.

I have another friend who I play golf with in his 70's. He used to work for main roads as a surveyor up North and in the Kimberleys, he has some great stories. Months away from home, really tough conditions, middle of nowhere, living in tents, baking hot and dusty.

Kids of today don't know how good they have it. And then they blame baby boomers for what they think is a bad world. Apparently we all had it easy and it's all our fault.

29 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Was the money good then Bob? My son said last week he only works 21 weeks a year and earns a lot more than I ever did. Trouble is he spends it too.

I have another friend who I play golf with in his 70's. He used to work for main roads as a surveyor up North and in the Kimberleys, he has some great stories. Months away from home, really tough conditions, middle of nowhere, living in tents, baking hot and dusty.

Kids of today don't know how good they have it. And then they blame baby boomers for what they think is a bad world. Apparently we all had it easy and it's all our fault.

ever more interesting, I loved my time in the Kimberlies and Pilbara and would be there in a shot, but for Mum's illness.

A pm, please on the survey chappie's name.

My weekly pay on the Woodside show was $400.

Cheers, Bobj.