RPL in place of education requirement for PR

Harley

Hello Folks,

I have a question which is not answered correctly by any agent I spoke to. It is whether the RPL (IT) can be applied and used if someone does not have a formal university degree. In my case, I have studied till 12th grade which is pre-university in Computer Science. Later I wasn't able continue my education but started working immediately. In the entire journey till now, I have accumulated 20+ years of core Software Development and Architecture work experience. Now, if I want to apply for a PR I will not get any points for education. I heard and saw some websites offering assistance to apply for a RPL (IT) in ACS (Australian Computer Society) which can be used for the education points. I checked this with my local immigration agent and he has no much idea about it. I am unsure if I should go in for this. If anyone can please put some light on this subject and also suggest me some alternatives if available for PR application in my case.

Thanks in advance...

You don't need help from those other websites.  Here are the requirements:

https://www.acs.org.au/content/dam/acs/acs-skills/SkillsAssessmentGuidelinesforApplicants.pdf

If you qualify under those guidelines, then just apply to ACS yourself.   If you do not qualify, no amount of help from other websites is going to help you, (unless they are going to lie for you!)

Edited by Marisawright

Thanks @Marisawright for your prompt response. I have already checked that documentation before but it does mention about "no tertiary qualification - only work experience" which is a valid for ACS assessment and this is my case currently. My question is, will I be able to apply for PR having ACS and RPL alone without a graduation, as one of the agent told me its not at all possible without graduation but what RPL says that its possible. Since these 2 are contradicting each other I am confused. 

If someone can guide me in this its highly appreciated.

You need to look at what level ACS will award you for the experience you have.  For example, if it will only get you to Diploma level and you need a Degree for the visa you want, then that's not good enough.  

The other problem is that if they count x years of experience towards your RPL, then you cannot claim those years as "experience" to get your points for experience. 

Edited by Marisawright

If the migration agent you checked with couldn’t advise because they had no idea about it then you’ve reached out to the wrong person.  It would be worth having a consultation with one of the agents who post on here.  They will be able to give you an honest answer.  If it’s a no then you have to move on.  If it’s a possible then they can help with building a strong case.  

Hi @Tulip1, thnx for your response. yes I am open to consult anyone who can help me build a strong case. I am a newbie to PR and RPL and also to this forum as i joined only today, hence I do not know of any consultant from this site who can help me out. 

Hi @MarisawrightSince I have 20 years of experience and if ACS deducts 8 years also i still am left with enough years to claim points towards work experience, provided I get atleast 10 points for education. I know this site does not endorse any immigration agents but if I can get someone who can help me build a strong case may be its very useful for me.

11 minutes ago, Harley said:

Hi @MarisawrightSince I have 20 years of experience and if ACS deducts 8 years also i still am left with enough years to claim points towards work experience, provided I get atleast 10 points for education. I know this site does not endorse any immigration agents but if I can get someone who can help me build a strong case may be its very useful for me.

Try Suncoast Migration or Go Matilda.

The skills assessment and points for migration are two separate issues.

ACS is the assessing authority for IT occupations and they can assess your skills under RPL if you have no IT qualifications.

An RPL skills assessment by the ACS can be used for visa application purposes.

The points you will score is a Migration issue and separate to the ACS. It will depend on many factors such as age, English, qualification, employment experience, etc.

The bigger issue to consider is what visa are you looking to qualify for. If you are off shore, your current options will be limited.

Hi @Raul, yes am offshore and my options will be limited to 190 or 491 due to the points.

Yes, I need to go the RPL way in order to get points on qualification. I understand that even after the RPL and ACS assessment I can get maximum only Diploma or Advanced Diploma equal qualification which gives me 10 points. Now I am in a process of getting my RPL done so I can think further. With the current Covid situation, I feel this is going to take me much longer for the entire PR process and later I may also lose points on Age since I am already 43. 

37 minutes ago, Harley said:

Hi @Raul, yes am offshore and my options will be limited to 190 or 491 due to the points.

Yes, I need to go the RPL way in order to get points on qualification. I understand that even after the RPL and ACS assessment I can get maximum only Diploma or Advanced Diploma equal qualification which gives me 10 points. Now I am in a process of getting my RPL done so I can think further. With the current Covid situation, I feel this is going to take me much longer for the entire PR process and later I may also lose points on Age since I am already 43. 

If you are already 43 then I’m afraid I am very pessimistic. It’s unlikely your application would even be considered until next year now. 

49 minutes ago, Harley said:

I may also lose points on Age since I am already 43. 

The age cut-off for skilled visas (except in a very, very limited set of scenarios) is 44 or younger at time of application, so you won’t ‘lose points’, you will become ineligible once you hit 45.