Re-doing medical before CO contact

skyeman

Hey Folks,

Hope you are all safe and well?

Like many of you I am awaiting grant (hopefully) of a 491 for QLD with 95 points as a mechanic. I front-loaded my medicals and PCC in April 2020 when I submitted and they have now expired. I know the advice on here is generally that visas are almost a competition due to the limited number each state can grant so I am wondering if most of you are re-doing your medicals and PCC even though you haven't had case officers assigned yet?

I would hate to waste money for them to expire again if it doesn't get granted in the next 12 months, but from what I can read you join the back of the queue so to speak once a case officer requests that the expired ones be renewed.

Just wondering what everyone else decided to do? We are all in the same boat and I realise it could drag on longer than a year before we see consistent offshore grants. 

8 hours ago, skyeman said:

Hey Folks,

Like many of you I am awaiting grant (hopefully) of a 491 for QLD with 95 points as a mechanic. I front-loaded my medicals and PCC in April 2020 when I submitted and they have now expired. I know the advice on here is generally that visas are almost a competition due to the limited number each state can grant so I am wondering if most of you are re-doing your medicals and PCC even though you haven't had case officers assigned yet?

I would hate to waste money for them to expire again if it doesn't get granted in the next 12 months, but from what I can read you join the back of the queue so to speak once a case officer requests that the expired ones be renewed.

Just wondering what everyone else decided to do? We are all in the same boat and I realise it could drag on longer than a year before we see consistent offshore grants. 

I've not heard of people joining the back of the queue, however, the advice from the department has always been not to complete medicals and police checks until requested.  This doens't stop people front loading, but it can be costly from a financial perspective and pre-covid, you also ran the risk of reducing the time period to validate your visa as the 12 months was from the date of the earliest check (either police of medical) and not the date of visa grant.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, skyeman said:

Hey Folks,

It’s a personal choice.  If you don’t mind the cost then keeping your application good to go so you can get a grant with no CO contact is the fastest route.

The preferred route is to only get them done when asked, it will cost less money but will also take a little longer overall as it takes time to get them done and then some more time for the CO to review them.

I understand the border is still closed to most temporary visa holders, given this i’d be tempted to hold fire on renewing docs until Oct/Nov earliest when Australia will be contemplating opening the border (unless your occupation is eligible for a critical skills travel exemption).  

• Like 1