Evisitor (651) and exemption processing times

bicek

22 minutes ago, EmilysDad said:

That sounds really tough, hope you get good news soon..  

My understanding from what people have shared on PIO was visa first, then put visa number in application for exemption, I don’t know if that is a key difference? 

I did it in that order - eVisa first, then included the TRN from the application in the exemption. Exemption came through after 4 days, eVisa still pending.

It doesn't seem to matter but having the exemption should have pushed them to issue the eVisa as by all accounts. Unless you have an exemption you shouldn't have been issued an eVisa or you are put to the back of the pile but that doesn't seem to be the case.

2 hours ago, barbaragilloran said:

It's so stressful.  We just got my husbands visa on Sunday night after a 5 and a half week wait.   Our daughter in law contacted her MP in Melbourne  about the delay and his office subsequently contacted immigration.  This may have moved things along.  Worth a try?

Have asked my husband to contact the MP in his parents area to see if they can assist so thank you for the suggestion.

Glad you eventually got yours but 5 and half weeks is so long for an eVisa.

We need to go out because his Grandmother is 98 and she has been asking when she will get to meet her great grandchildren. We initially said May but work kindly let us both have the time off with not much notice, so we told her end of this month and in her words "so I don't have to hold on for much longer". It makes me so upset to think this might not happen and she won't get to meet them and my husband won't be able to see her one last time.

Edited by LisaC

3 hours ago, LisaC said:

I did it in that order - eVisa first, then included the TRN from the application in the exemption. Exemption came through after 4 days, eVisa still pending.

It doesn't seem to matter but having the exemption should have pushed them to issue the eVisa as by all accounts. Unless you have an exemption you shouldn't have been issued an eVisa or you are put to the back of the pile but that doesn't seem to be the case.

It is strange as we got our visa back within the hour.

Hopefully you hear something soon.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/01/2022 at 00:47, moliere19 said:

Hi Jill,

We’re in the same situation with our travel exemption being granted at the end of November. All very frustrating having to cancel flights and not knowing when we can rebook. In desperation we applied for a second travel exemption and that was granted last week but still no visa. If we haven’t got the visa by later this week we’re going for the nuclear option of withdrawing the application and then submit a new one and then probably also apply for a third travel exemption just to see if that works. Other than that we will change our names by deed poll to Djokovic!

Andrew 

Well that got him nowhere as he got deported .

4 minutes ago, KamilB said:

Hi!

Have anyone waiting for Visitor 651 too long try to withdraw their application and reapply again for a visa? Does it help anyone to speed up the process?

Cheers!

I'd like to know this too. My wife has received an exemption 2 days after her application however the application was made 39 days ago and still nothing. Now that the borders are opening to everyone, I'm guessing immigration will be dealing with loads more applications which might slow things even more.

• Like 1

The visa processing times have been updated to 90% of applications processed in 30 days. We just called up since my wife's application has been 43 days thinking they might be helpful. Nope. Even after it's passed the won't help. They just say to sit and wait for a response. 

Has anyone on here waited for more than 43 days?

10 minutes ago, LucasC said:

The visa processing times have been updated to 90% of applications processed in 30 days. We just called up since my wife's application has been 43 days thinking they might be helpful. Nope. Even after it's passed the won't help. They just say to sit and wait for a response. 

Has anyone on here waited for more than 43 days?

Have you tried emailing evisitor.helpdesk@homeaffairs.gov.au

7 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

Have you tried emailing evisitor.helpdesk@homeaffairs.gov.au

Yes. Every few days for the last month. Also tried with the local MPs where my parents live. They can't do anything.

We're going to try applying again and if that doesn't work I'll just travel alone with my infant son as his visa was approved immediately.

I don't know if anyone else saw Simon Calder giving the big thumbs up to Australia, from Sydney Harbour this morning. If anyone can bring this thread to his attention,  it would be interesting to see if he can blag a visit to the visa service office and find out what the@£$%^ is going on. Or at least he can caution those applying to 'get your visa fist" before booking flights and save all the stress we have been through. I don't know how to get in touch, he does Twitter, I don't.

11 minutes ago, Culterguy said:

I don't know if anyone else saw Simon Calder giving the big thumbs up to Australia, from Sydney Harbour this morning. If anyone can bring this thread to his attention,  it would be interesting to see if he can blag a visit to the visa service office and find out what the@£$%^ is going on. Or at least he can caution those applying to 'get your visa fist" before booking flights and save all the stress we have been through. I don't know how to get in touch, he does Twitter, I don't.

Good idea. I saw that bit on BBC this morning and it wound me up.

I might give it a go. I encourage others to do so too.

https://www.simoncalder.co.uk/contact/

In other news we actually tried to cancel my wife's application this morning and apparently that's different too. You need to notify them in writing and who knows how long it takes to process it. Rather we've also applied for the 600 class visitor visa that costs £85 since you can't apply for 651 again whilst having an open application.

I highly doubt we'll get the response we need so I'm starting preparations to make the 26 hour journey alone with my 17 month old boy.

I had no idea there was a problem with this as in the past my 651 came through instantly. So...I booked my flights first for 28th Feb then applied for visa ..now know that's the wrong way round but it's what I have always done. I fly Monday so I am at the point of re-booking....but for when??!!Emirates allow no cost flight changes....just the extra fare price.....which is now £500 more expensive ....I imagine due to high demand. What I'm finding difficult is the emotional side of this as I haven't seen my daughter and grandchildren for nearly three years and it just all feels so near but yet so far. Having waited so long that extra 2 weeks or so seems forever. ,I'm finding it hard to be excited as I don't know if I can go yet and it's time to get PCR and form fill!! However, it will happen and what a trip it will be....worth waiting for x

On 24/02/2022 at 14:46, Hilary wood said:

I had no idea there was a problem with this as in the past my 651 came through instantly. So...I booked my flights first for 28th Feb then applied for visa ..now know that's the wrong way round but it's what I have always done. I fly Monday so I am at the point of re-booking....but for when??!!Emirates allow no cost flight changes....just the extra fare price.....which is now £500 more expensive ....I imagine due to high demand. What I'm finding difficult is the emotional side of this as I haven't seen my daughter and grandchildren for nearly three years and it just all feels so near but yet so far. Having waited so long that extra 2 weeks or so seems forever. ,I'm finding it hard to be excited as I don't know if I can go yet and it's time to get PCR and form fill!! However, it will happen and what a trip it will be....worth waiting for x

I really hope you get there very soon, it is very emotional and frustrating, hopefully we fly this coming week to see our children and grandchildren we haven’t met yet.  It’s been tough but light at the end of the tunnel.  Best of luck to you.

We just got our visas. I say we as in my wife (I'm Australian) and I say visas because we applied for 2 in the end. She got approved both the 600 and 651 visa.

The reason we got it was because she applied for a cancellation of the 651 application after waiting 45 days. It then mysteriously vanished from her immi account. We called several times and finally got someone who actually seemed like they cared and tried to help. He recommended we cancel the cancellation as this would take up to a month and processed this request for us. This meant that someone looked at her account that same day and just processed everything.

We're so happy. After 50 days, 4 different flight and hire car bookings and a lot of stress, we can finally return home and introduce our 18 month old boy to his Australian family.

• Like 1
  • Congratulations 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ausvisitor said:

Am I missing something I though 651 visas were basically a 24 hour turnaround and that now you no longer need an exemption either.

Or am I wrong?

They were always pretty much immediate but there has been delays over recent months.  I applied for one late December and mine took about 6 weeks, others have taken much longer.  It seems a bit hit and miss as some got there’s within a few days.  90 days is the longest I’ve heard of.  My son applied for one last week and got the grant email 2 days later so they are probably up to date now.  No you don’t need an exemption now.  That stopped about mid Feb. 

• 4 weeks later...

It all seems very hit and miss regarding the 651.  My adult son needs one for our trip in November.  After reading the various issues some are having when applying for one, I told him weeks ago to apply early as it’s valid for a year.  He did the application in the evening and by the time he woke up the next day his visa grant was sitting in his inbox.  Doesn’t make sense that some are taking months.  I hope those waiting get them through very soon.