Evisitor (651) and exemption processing times

bicek

19 hours ago, moliere19 said:

A beacon of hope for anyone still waiting for their visa after receiving their travel exemption. Our travel exemption was approved in late November and ever since we have been sweating on getting the visa even having to cancel flights we had booked for late December. Then this morning our visas arrived, yipee! Having said that I don't think it just happened without prompting. We had already emailed the eVisitor helpdesk in December but got no response (perhaps closed for Xmas/New Year?) so we again sent an email to them last Saturday and the email we received today, with the visas attached to it, was from the helpdesk. There are 2 email addresses for the helpdesk, one that seems to work and the other one that doesn't. For anyone who may need to try this avenue the email address we used successfully is: evisitor.helpdesk@homeaffairs.gov.au   

Hopefully this will work for you but just to also advise that we got our daughter to contact her local MP to try and put some pressure on immi to sort our case out. They were closed until Monday 10th January but when they returned they immediately called our daughter and then emailed her requesting all the details so they could resolve the issue. I'm not sure all MP's will be so proactive and treat it with urgency but at least they were prepare to take on our case if it wouldn't have been resolved by the visas being granted today.

Thank you to all of you that has provided guidance and advice to us during this stressful time and good luck everyone.

Andrew 

Congratulations Andrew, could you give me the email address for the eVisitor help desk please. I'll try that route. Many thanks

2 hours ago, Jill G said:

Congratulations Andrew, could you give me the email address for the eVisitor help desk please. I'll try that route. Many thanks

Hi Jill,

The email address we used, as shown in the post, is:

evisitor.helpdesk@homeaffairs.gov.au 

Good luck 

Andrew

Hi - does anyone know how long a travel exemption and visitor visa is valid for prior to using it? E.g. could my mother start the process now even if she didn't actually want to fly until say March? Given the uncertainty around timings for approvals I'd be minded to get the ball rolling, but obviously don't want to do that only for the exemption/visitor visa to expire before they need to be used! 

20 minutes ago, bowbow said:

Hi - does anyone know how long a travel exemption and visitor visa is valid for prior to using it? E.g. could my mother start the process now even if she didn't actually want to fly until say March? Given the uncertainty around timings for approvals I'd be minded to get the ball rolling, but obviously don't want to do that only for the exemption/visitor visa to expire before they need to be used! 

My suggestion would be to apply for the visa immediately as even the E visitor visa is valid for 12 months. You can’t apply for the travel exemption until 2 months before the date of travel but these seem to come through in a few days in our experience. Make sure you include the visa application reference number on the travel exemption request. There is a drop down box on the form asking about visa. Tick applied and add the visa reference and hopefully you should be ok.

Andrew

On 12/01/2022 at 11:46, moliere19 said:

Hi Jill,

The email address we used, as shown in the post, is:

evisitor.helpdesk@homeaffairs.gov.au 

Good luck 

Andrew

Visas issued today!! Followed Andrew's advice, emailed evisitor.helpdesk@homeaffairs.gov.au. received a reply within 24 hours

Thank you SO much Andrew. The chat page is sooo helpful. Flights booked for next week. Cant see family after two long years. 

• Congratulations 2

3 hours ago, Jill G said:

Visas issued today!! Followed Andrew's advice, emailed evisitor.helpdesk@homeaffairs.gov.au. received a reply within 24 hours

Thank you SO much Andrew. The chat page is sooo helpful. Flights booked for next week. Cant see family after two long years. 

Woo Hoo Jill! Well done, brilliant news and great that it worked.

Andrew 

Hi again all,

I'm just helping my mother with her travel exemption (her eVisitor visa has been granted). It asks for intended travel date. Does it matter if, in reality, she ends up travelling a week or two later? From the above I assume not, but it's always dangerous to assume!

1 hour ago, bowbow said:

Hi again all,

I'm just helping my mother with her travel exemption (her eVisitor visa has been granted). It asks for intended travel date. Does it matter if, in reality, she ends up travelling a week or two later? From the above I assume not, but it's always dangerous to assume!

You need to apply for an exemption at least two weeks, but not more than two months, before your planned travel.

That is the official line on the exemption, I got one for my mother in law mid Nov with a travel of date of 10th Jan, she is now flying 31st Jan so I applied for a new exemption last week just in case.

Confirmation of this advice has been recorded in Australia’s electronic visa system. You do not need to re-apply for an exemption if flight details change.

Our exemption document says above in the first section, so seems you do not need to re-apply. The Travel Declaration is much more definitive about date of travel, in that it has to be filled our within 72 hours of travel.

28 minutes ago, Culterguy said:

Confirmation of this advice has been recorded in Australia’s electronic visa system. You do not need to re-apply for an exemption if flight details change.

Our exemption document says above in the first section, so seems you do not need to re-apply. The Travel Declaration is much more definitive about date of travel, in that it has to be filled our within 72 hours of travel.

Yeah I noticed that, just reapplied just in case.

Hi all, I've been following this forum for advice on my own situation so thanks to everyone for sharing. I thought I would share my own situation with you.

I am an Australian citizen trying to return home from the UK for a visit with my Greek wife and infant son who is British. I applied for both evisitor visas on 9th Jan and my son's was immediately approved. I applied for exemption on the 10th Jan using the TRN from both visa applications and received approval of exemption for both on the 11th Jan.

We are still waiting for my wife's evisitor to be approved. I have since tried sending an email to the evisitor heldesk email address that someone kindly provided but after 48 hours the application hasn't moved.

I had no idea that the evisitor visa would take so long and given that it's been 8 days following a successful exemption I can only assume that we've slipped through the net into the 7 month processing pile :(

20 hours ago, LucasC said:

Hi all, I've been following this forum for advice on my own situation so thanks to everyone for sharing. I thought I would share my own situation with you.

I am an Australian citizen trying to return home from the UK for a visit with my Greek wife and infant son who is British. I applied for both evisitor visas on 9th Jan and my son's was immediately approved. I applied for exemption on the 10th Jan using the TRN from both visa applications and received approval of exemption for both on the 11th Jan.

We are still waiting for my wife's evisitor to be approved. I have since tried sending an email to the evisitor heldesk email address that someone kindly provided but after 48 hours the application hasn't moved.

I had no idea that the evisitor visa would take so long and given that it's been 8 days following a successful exemption I can only assume that we've slipped through the net into the 7 month processing pile 😞

It seems it’s very hit and miss.  I applied for an evisitor on 27th December and I’m still waiting.  The exemption came through within two days but still no visa.  I have sent two emails over the last 10 days but still nothing.  Very frustrating.  I just hope it comes through in time for my trip.  I don’t have the luxury of putting the trip off by a few weeks or until the visa comes through.  At work we have a strict one person off at a time policy and if I miss the time off I’ve secured I’ve had it.  Fingers crossed we both hear soon, good luck. 

I’m tempted to do another visa application but I’m not sure if that will mess up my existing one and the TRN wouldn’t match what I put on my exemption application. 

Edited by Tulip1

2 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

It seems it’s very hit and miss.  I applied for an evisitor on 27th December and I’m still waiting.  The exemption came through within two days but still no visa.  I have sent two emails over the last 10 days but still nothing.  Very frustrating.  I just hope it comes through in time for my trip.  I don’t have the luxury of putting the trip off by a few weeks or until the visa comes through.  At work we have a strict one person off at a time policy and if I miss the time off I’ve secured I’ve had it.  Fingers crossed we both hear soon, good luck. 

I’m tempted to do another visa application but I’m not sure if that will mess up my existing one and the TRN wouldn’t match what I put on my exemption application. 

Yes.  I think its arbitrary.  My husband and I got travel exemptions really quickly. (Parents of permanent residents)  My visa came through 2 days later on 24 December.  My husband is still waiting.  We have tried the email address to ask for help but no reply.  We edited his visa application to  add in exemption confirmation.  Again no response.  So frustrating.  Cant think of anything else to do.

3 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

Thanks for sharing. So long as you're confident you entered all the details correctly I wouldn't reapply. We added a PDF of the confirmation of the exemption to the visa application but it makes no difference since it's linked to the TRN. 
It's disappointing that even though the exemption is granted and the TRN is linked to it that the visa isn't then automatically granted. It's bizarre. 

27 minutes ago, barbaragilloran said:

Yes.  I think its arbitrary.  My husband and I got travel exemptions really quickly. (Parents of permanent residents)  My visa came through 2 days later on 24 December.  My husband is still waiting.  We have tried the email address to ask for help but no reply.  We edited his visa application to  add in exemption confirmation.  Again no response.  So frustrating.  Cant think of anything else to do.

Do you mind me asking if you are both the same nationality? I'm thinking that because my son's was approved immediately (he's British) and my wife's (Greek) is still on the processing pile that they process nationalities in an order of priority.

We're due to travel on 29th Jan but that's totally not happening. Lucky my employer is being flexible and my bookings can all be moved 2 weeks into the future. But how long can I keep doing that??

1 hour ago, LucasC said:

Do you mind me asking if you are both the same nationality? I'm thinking that because my son's was approved immediately (he's British) and my wife's (Greek) is still on the processing pile that they process nationalities in an order of priority.

We're due to travel on 29th Jan but that's totally not happening. Lucky my employer is being flexible and my bookings can all be moved 2 weeks into the future. But how long can I keep doing that??

Hi,  yes we're both the same nationality - UK.  Even more arbitrary!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

My 651 visa has been granted.  Oh the irony.  The day I find out I can no longer visit family in Perth I get my visa approved. 

That's great news but such a shame about about the restrictions in WA. They were meant to open up on 5th Feb. Very disappointing they went back on their word. I bet a lot of travel plans are disrupted.

Hi everyone.

Thank you for all the information.  Myself and husband are hoping to go to Australia in March to see our children and meet new grandchildren.  We applied for the visa and exemption last week and I was beginning to really worry that we hadn't heard about either but having read these comments, it's put my mind at ease a little ......I'll start panicking in a couple of weeks!!

Can't wait to go and hope we don't have to move our dates.

I hope all of you who are still waiting, receive your visa/exemption soon.

Paula,

Outcome of applications all over the place. I talked a friend  through the process a few days ago. Pointing out the best otcome resulting when you apply for visa first. Then putting TRN from visa application into Exemption. She called me back, within the hour said she had visa approved!! Go figure! She still needs her Exemption of course, but everyone seems to get that within a few days
good luck

John