Perth's inner west

Ronsaik

We're moving with a 2 year old to Perth from Sydney. On a couple of previous visits, didn't warm up to the city, which I felt to be too spread out and lacking the charm of the harbour city. But maybe I didn't look in the right places. 

Looking for a place that mostly closely resembles the inner west of Sydney - Drummoyne / Balmain / Annandale / Rozelle etc. Would Subiaco and Shenton Park be similar to these areas? Both v pricey, but can sacrifice space for the inner west lifestyle.

I have friends who moved to Perth from Sydney and absolutely love it--but then, they didn't like the "hectic" Inner West lifestyle in Sydney.

My niece was desperate to spend more time in Australia after her WHV year, most of which she spent living with me in the inner Sydney suburbs.  She and her boyfriend (both worked for the same firm) got posted to Perth for a project.    She didn't like Perth at all, and felt it completely lacked the vibe of Sydney. 

So in a  nutshell, I'm not sure you weren't looking in the right places.  Susan was there for several months and didn't warm up to the place at all. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with Perth - but like every city, it doesn't suit everyone.  Equally, there are plenty of people living happily in Perth who would hate to live in Annandale!

15 hours ago, Ronsaik said:

We're moving with a 2 year old to Perth from Sydney. On a couple of previous visits, didn't warm up to the city, which I felt to be too spread out and lacking the charm of the harbour city. But maybe I didn't look in the right places. 

Looking for a place that mostly closely resembles the inner west of Sydney - Drummoyne / Balmain / Annandale / Rozelle etc. Would Subiaco and Shenton Park be similar to these areas? Both v pricey, but can sacrifice space for the inner west lifestyle.

Subiaco along those lines of preferability but far quieter . We had a night out there a few weeks back and remarked how few people about besides the venue we attended. Shenton Park more suburban in feel but nice but very expensive houses. I've yet to 'discover' a vibe there. Leederville (inner city) where I live as probably as much of a vibe as anywhere,  but lots of other issues that I discovered late in the game. Frankly if looking at vibe, nowhere will completely fit the bill. Nothing really along the lines of Sydney anyhow. If really a person into street vibe probably Perth will not sit well. If like beaches on the other hand....just don't expect to always get parking. 

4 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

I would have a look at Fremantle 

Not the place it once was. I feel the cessation of international tourism has impacted severely. Police a few months ago some with horses, other cycles and foot converged on the area in attempt to clean it up. Became a magnet for meth users (now far reduced but still visible) and homeless. But attending a gig down there two weeks almost ago did not find any vibe what so ever, outside of South Terrace . In fact partner did not feel safe walking back to the car at 11.15 at night. Few on the street but somehow attracted a young guy high on suspected meth, with a bottle in his hand screaming unintelligent whatever, some abuse, who insisted walking along with us part of the way. 

Hopefully when  borders are reopened Fremantle will get its mojo back. 

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

Not the place it once was. I feel the cessation of international tourism has impacted severely. Police a few months ago some with horses, other cycles and foot converged on the area in attempt to clean it up. Became a magnet for meth users (now far reduced but still visible) and homeless. But attending a gig down there two weeks almost ago did not find any vibe what so ever, outside of South Terrace . In fact partner did not feel safe walking back to the car at 11.15 at night. Few on the street but somehow attracted a young guy high on suspected meth, with a bottle in his hand screaming unintelligent whatever, some abuse, who insisted walking along with us part of the way. 

Hopefully when  borders are reopened Fremantle will get its mojo back. 

You've had a terrible time in Perth, but almost every place you describe, I've had the opposite experience. I was in Fremantle recently and it was bustling, full of life, felt completely safe and I feel the place is slowly improving with the investment and regenration thats happening (although of course like everywhere would be even better with the return of international tourism). Likewise with Leederville, I know you've had terible experiences, but I've been there hundreds of times day and night and never felt anything other than safe, enjoying the pubs and restaurants that are available. Went to dinner in Northbridge last night with my other half and again it was busy with lots of bustling restaurants and bars, felt completely safe, civilised and no trouble to be seen. I wouldnt go there at 2 am but I would say the same of most cities.

Just providing my experiences for balance, in case anyone outside WA is in a panic after reading your posts.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

You've had a terrible time in Perth, but almost every place you describe, I've had the opposite experience. I was in Fremantle recently and it was bustling, full of life, felt completely safe and I feel the place is slowly improving with the investment and regenration thats happening (although of course like everywhere would be even better with the return of international tourism). Likewise with Leederville, I know you've had terible experiences, but I've been there hundreds of times day and night and never felt anything other than safe, enjoying the pubs and restaurants that are available. Went to dinner in Northbridge last night with my other half and again it was busy with lots of bustling restaurants and bars, felt completely safe, civilised and no trouble to be seen. I wouldnt go there at 2 am but I would say the same of most cities.

Just providing my experiences for balance, in case anyone outside WA is in a panic after reading your posts.

Firstly Leederville. Little untoward will likely be visible at street level. It feels completely safe.  Especially in comparison to North Bridge and Fremantle.     That doesn't in any way negate that the trade in mostly meth is not how shall we put it , in full swing wouldn't be too much of an exaggeration. Again these are not or don't tend to be users to the best of my knowledge but purely profit driven. Besides living all around it, does it impact on me? Well a house explosion could very well. Those that are behind the scenes have it pretty sussed with  a certain type, often professional, often with children so respectable and appearance feature prominently. All ages involved. Not a great feeling to witness 'suspected' illegal activity from a bedroom window, or seeing cars being loaded with bags, but at least the drug motor cycle couriers appear to have ceased which was once a regular nightly occurrence. Bicycles now frequently used as a way I suppose of not attracting attention and no fear of number plates being taken. Hence, what I'm attempting to convey is it is not in your face, at least in Leederville, but more under wraps but everywhere. So many houses have blinds drawn constantly and little sign of life actually. 

Fremantle, as I noted cleaned up its act some months ago after it got very bad. I have been back there on a number of occasions, and there is far less drug impacted visible. Still easy to spot street dealers, but much better. Indeed I've been there in recent times and plenty of people were around. But not on the Friday night we last visited two weeks ago. 

I usually feel 'safe enough'  but was wary of a methed up fellow with a bottle in his hand walking beside me talking part gibberish but very angry. It's the overall picture  I regard into the sort of city I live, and have done for a considerable period of time and the lack of ability to be able to have much influence over events, regardless of where turn. As I mentioned, Perth is near to the top in world rankings for meth consumption for a reason. That being there's heck of a lot around and money being made from it. This is a pretty awful drug with bad consequences for many. A short read of what happened in Seattle should leave little doubt. Or closer to home Murry Bridge. 

Thanks for the responses, folks. A lot to chew on.

Based on the feedback here, I get the impression that the inner city isn't family friendly, or it is, but with bad pockets.

What about Maylands, Rossmoyne, Shelley, Riverton, and Wilson? Or Melville, next to Fremantle? They appear to be near the water, not too far from the city, and close to cycling paths in some cases.

The near-water parts of Dalkeith etc are much too rich for my budget, and not too keen on Cottesloe, Scarborough, or City Beach. 

Where do the NE suburbs like Yokine and Daniella stack up?

And should I consider looking further north - Sorrento, Ocean Reef, or Iluka? Lots of good property there, although the places appear somewhat dead.

Again, my main consideration is proximity to walks, parks, and basically things to keep a 2 year old entertained with....the "city vibe" is less important compared to that.

31 minutes ago, Ronsaik said:

Based on the feedback here, I get the impression that the inner city isn't family friendly, or it is, but with bad pockets.

What about Maylands, Rossmoyne, Shelley, Riverton, and Wilson? Or Melville, next to Fremantle? They appear to be near the water, not too far from the city, and close to cycling paths in some cases.

The near-water parts of Dalkeith etc are much too rich for my budget, and not too keen on Cottesloe, Scarborough, or City Beach. 

And should I consider looking further north - Sorrento, Ocean Reef, or Iluka? Lots of good property there, although the places appear somewhat dead.

Again, my main consideration is proximity to walks, parks, and basically things to keep a 2 year old entertained with....the "city vibe" is less important compared to that.

It's not even that clearly defined. Where I live are a mix of professionals, tradies and Uni students . Many are young families. There is little aggravation these days. Quite safe and walkable. You would most likely be fine. Maylands is a mix. Rather high density in parts for Perth. Less well off and cosmopolitan. Yokine and Dianella can be fine. Although a friend living in Dianella is experiencing considerable problems with her neighbour.  Nowhere is guaranteed obviously to be free of undesirable activity. I understand Rossmoyne is quite okay. Riverton I'd read reviews on if I was you. I don't have first had experience though. 

I lived a couple of years in Applecross on arriving back in Perth back in the nineties. Very pleasant. Then lived in Highgate, very close to city, while searching to buy. A very mixed bag with lots of drugs and unsavourly types but no personal issues besides a half hearted attempt at a break in. 

You should not commit from afar until getting a 'feel' for the place.  One thing I note here is streets are often very dark due to limited lighting at night. Can appear a bit eerie if walking late at night. 

Just now, Blue Flu said:

It's not even that clearly defined. Where I live are a mix of professionals, tradies and Uni students . Many are young families. There is little aggravation these days. Quite safe and walkable. You would most likely be fine. The drug issue will unlikely be noticed at first glance. Maylands is a mix. Rather high density in parts for Perth. Less well off and cosmopolitan. Yokine and Dianella can be fine. Although a friend living in Dianella is experiencing considerable problems with her neighbour.  Nowhere is guaranteed obviously to be free of undesirable activity. I understand Rossmoyne is quite okay. Riverton I'd read reviews on if I was you. I don't have first had experience though. 

I lived a couple of years in Applecross on arriving back in Perth back in the nineties. Very pleasant. Then lived in Highgate, very close to city, while searching to buy. A very mixed bag with lots of drugs and unsavourly types but no personal issues besides a half hearted attempt at a break in. 

You should not commit from afar until getting a 'feel' for the place.  One thing I note here is streets are often very dark due to limited lighting at night. Can appear a bit eerie if walking late at night. 

I do wonder if what you are looking for doesn't really exist in Perth. We moved from Sydney to Perth and understand what you mean about "vibe". But Perth isn't really known for that. It is all about a much quieter feel. For example, walking through the CBD on a weekend can feel like you have wandered into a post apocalypse as there is no one around. In fact it feels a bit like being in a city in lockdown. Perth is more about people living out of the city in the suburbs and spending weekends at the beach or having a bbq.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blue Flu said:

Firstly Leederville. Little untoward will likely be visible at street level. It feels completely safe.  Especially in comparison to North Bridge and Fremantle.     That doesn't in any way negate that the trade in mostly meth is not how shall we put it , in full swing wouldn't be too much of an exaggeration. Again these are not or don't tend to be users to the best of my knowledge but purely profit driven. Besides living all around it, does it impact on me? Well a house explosion could very well. Those that are behind the scenes have it pretty sussed with  a certain type, often professional, often with children so respectable and appearance feature prominently. All ages involved. Not a great feeling to witness 'suspected' illegal activity from a bedroom window, or seeing cars being loaded with bags, but at least the drug motor cycle couriers appear to have ceased which was once a regular nightly occurrence. Bicycles now frequently used as a way I suppose of not attracting attention and no fear of number plates being taken. Hence, what I'm attempting to convey is it is not in your face, at least in Leederville, but more under wraps but everywhere. So many houses have blinds drawn constantly and little sign of life actually. 

Fremantle, as I noted cleaned up its act some months ago after it got very bad. I have been back there on a number of occasions, and there is far less drug impacted visible. Still easy to spot street dealers, but much better. Indeed I've been there in recent times and plenty of people were around. But not on the Friday night we last visited two weeks ago. 

I usually feel 'safe enough'  but was wary of a methed up fellow with a bottle in his hand walking beside me talking part gibberish but very angry. It's the overall picture  I regard into the sort of city I live, and have done for a considerable period of time and the lack of ability to be able to have much influence over events, regardless of where turn. As I mentioned, Perth is near to the top in world rankings for meth consumption for a reason. That being there's heck of a lot around and money being made from it. This is a pretty awful drug with bad consequences for many. A short read of what happened in Seattle should leave little doubt. Or closer to home Murry Bridge. 

I'm not disputing there is drug manufacturing and sales in these areas, just as there is in most suburbs in most cities unfortunately. All I'm saying is that for the average citizen they would never know and rarely witness anything of this nature, and as you say they go to great lengths not to be noticed. So for most people this hidden drug trade is less of an issue than visible crime like needles lying around their neighbourhood, break in's, car theft, assaults etc etc - things that I personally would consider to make an area "rough" and one to avoid. Where I gre up drugs were sold by people standing on the street corner with associated street violence and a number of other issues. Leederville, Fremantle etc arent like that. Areas in Perth I'd consider ones to avoid would be Armadale, Balga, Balcatta, parts of Hamilton Hill (although slowly becoming 'genrtified'), Midland etc. 

I wonder if those of us who grew up elsewhere are more hypervigilant to some of these things. For example the guy walking beside you with the bottle in his hand - I would also have kept an eye on him and been wary of him, but I know others who would have been in your situation and barely noticed him (at their own risk!).

Meth is a hideous drug, I do agree with that

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ronsaik said:

As others have said, moving from Sydney to Perth will mean slowing down and readjusting - you won't be able to replicate the same lifestyle. Perth is more of a big town than a city, with lots of space and fresh air, parks, endless beaches and outdoor spaces. As with many places, the thing thats good about it is also the thing thats bad about it. Its laid back and peaceful, you'll always get plenty of space at the beach or in the park and it can be a very relaxing place to exist. But given it is so laid back and peaceful, the times you crave a big city buzz it can be frustrating as you have to know where to go and when to go there. It's getting better in that regard, and there are endless small bars, cafe's, restauarants etc to explore that will keep you busy for years. But people tend to fall into a routine of finding places they like and sticking to them.

If you're looking for a balance between some 'vibe' and proximity to parks etc, and the budget allows, I'd be tempted towards South Perth/Vic Park. South Perth is the most under-developed part of the city in my view - it used to be Scarborough but they recently renovated the beach area and its prety good now. Sout Perth is in the process of multiple apartment complexes being built which will extend the shopping strip and food/drink/eat options at ground level. The cafe strip there is currently very small but absolutely beautiful and the walk along the river is fantastic, with huge parks along the forsehore for a few km. Vic park is uglier and more urban, but always busy and full of all the ethnic food you could want or need. It's also in the process of growing/developing with new buildings along the strip opening up new retail spaces on ground level that are slowly joining all the bits together. Both Vic Park and South perth are a 5 min drive from each other, with South Perth older money and Vic Park very quickly transitioning into a nice family area (but some parts still have to be careful of your neighbours). 

From the areas you mentioned, Sorrento, Ocean Reef etc aren't a pleasant commute into the city for work (if you're working in the city) and are more suburban. People drive everywhere but like it because they have bigger houses and are close to a beach, normally with one or two cafe's  nearby plus a shoppign centre with entertaiment section. I'm inclined to think they wouldnt suit you based on what you'e previously said. Maylands has been up and coming for the past 8 years, but its still got a way to go and alwasy seems to be up and coming but never quite there. The problem with Maylands is the cafe strip and the river are very separate and neither of them are enough on their own...yet! Shelley and Riverton are quite nice but much quieter areas - the South East on the train line to Armadale has traditionally been a less nice area so be careful of drifting too far East if you go South. 

Another inner city option you might like is Mount Lawley, Mount Hawthorne or North Perth. Mount Lawley is very near the city and has a lot going on, but I personally prefer Mount Hawthorne just due to feel of the place. I also really like South Fremantle which feels like a quieter, nicer part of town but still with an excellent cafe strip, close to the beach etc and a shrot drive into Fremantle which I personally think is becoming very nice and will tip over into very exclusive in a few years. If I was lookign to invest and had the money, I'd be tempted by South Fremantle or South Perth - they're already expensive, but they should be even more expensive in my view and would be in any other city in Australia.

I havent really helped but hopefully some useful info in there somewhere

Edited by MacGyver
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ronsaik said:

If you have kids all of those suburbs are good. Dianella/yokine you want to make sure you are in the catchment area for Mt Lawley. 

Duncraig and craigie have a very good high school, but are older. But it's a nice lifestyle up that way.

Maylands is still being gentrified, but is pretty nice. Nice high street.

Melville is nice, but I'm not really a South of the river person. But there are some good suburbs there. 

You could also look at bayswater Guildford.

5 hours ago, MacGyver said:

A friend lives South of Fre, towards Henderson. We had our works Christmas party in Freo 2 years ago. Had a good night, plenty of good pubs and we kicked on till late. I noticed there were a lot more police about than usual and my friend said since they had turfed a few, mainly aboriginal, troublemakers out of Perth they've moved down to Freo. He said he's noticed a bit of a change for the worst.

As long as the cops keep on top of it it'll be fine.

Never felt threatened or worried anywhere in Perth or Freo and when we used to go to Sydney on work trips always stayed at the Holiday Inn at Potts Point. Right across the road from the coca cola sign at Kings Cross. Always had a good time wandering round there too. See all of humanity in the same place.

Having gone to Uni in Birmingham, living near Manchester and my wife working in Moss Side Aus doesn't feel unsafe at all.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ronsaik said:

If you'd be happy living somewhere in Sydney like Lane Cove or Menai, you'll find lots of family-friendly suburbs like that in Perth. Nice, peaceful, lots of young families. Those of us who enjoy an inner-city vibe would classify them as "dead", but then once you've got children, the priorities do change. 

3 hours ago, Ronsaik said:

Cottesloe and City Beach are fantastic suburbs, if they're in your price bracket. Scarborough is great too but a bit more of a younger persons hangout. Great beaches at all of them, good surf at Scarbs and Trigg.

Certainly plenty to do at all of them.

Ocean Reef used to feel on the edge of acceptable distance from Perth. Not any longer.

You can get fantastic properties in those Northern suburbs very close to great beaches. Your youngster is too young yet to get the benefit but our 2, now 26 and 32, spent and still spend loads of time at the beach, catching up with friends. Some good schools around too.

3 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

I do wonder if what you are looking for doesn't really exist in Perth. We moved from Sydney to Perth and understand what you mean about "vibe". But Perth isn't really known for that. It is all about a much quieter feel. For example, walking through the CBD on a weekend can feel like you have wandered into a post apocalypse as there is no one around. In fact it feels a bit like being in a city in lockdown. Perth is more about people living out of the city in the suburbs and spending weekends at the beach or having a bbq.

To be fair VS it's been quite a while since you were here and you lived in Mandurah didn't you? 

The City has really changed since you left. Northbridge used to be the only lively place after office workers had left. Now the River side of the City is a lot busier and Elizabeth Quay has made a massive difference. Lots of new pubs, laneways and small bars.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MacGyver said:

As others have said, moving from Sydney to Perth will mean slowing down and readjusting - you won't be able to replicate the same lifestyle. Perth is more of a big town than a city, with lots of space and fresh air, parks, endless beaches and outdoor spaces. As with many places, the thing thats good about it is also the thing thats bad about it. Its laid back and peaceful, you'll always get plenty of space at the beach or in the park and it can be a very relaxing place to exist. But given it is so laid back and peaceful, the times you crave a big city buzz it can be frustrating as you have to know where to go and when to go there. It's getting better in that regard, and there are endless small bars, cafe's, restauarants etc to explore that will keep you busy for years. But people tend to fall into a routine of finding places they like and sticking to them.

If you're looking for a balance between some 'vibe' and proximity to parks etc, and the budget allows, I'd be tempted towards South Perth/Vic Park. South Perth is the most under-developed part of the city in my view - it used to be Scarborough but they recently renovated the beach area and its prety good now. Sout Perth is in the process of multiple apartment complexes being built which will extend the shopping strip and food/drink/eat options at ground level. The cafe strip there is currently very small but absolutely beautiful and the walk along the river is fantastic, with huge parks along the forsehore for a few km. Vic park is uglier and more urban, but always busy and full of all the ethnic food you could want or need. It's also in the process of growing/developing with new buildings along the strip opening up new retail spaces on ground level that are slowly joining all the bits together. Both Vic Park and South perth are a 5 min drive from each other, with South Perth older money and Vic Park very quickly transitioning into a nice family area (but some parts still have to be careful of your neighbours). 

From the areas you mentioned, Sorrento, Ocean Reef etc aren't a pleasant commute into the city for work (if you're working in the city) and are more suburban. People drive everywhere but like it because they have bigger houses and are close to a beach, normally with one or two cafe's  nearby plus a shoppign centre with entertaiment section. I'm inclined to think they wouldnt suit you based on what you'e previously said. Maylands has been up and coming for the past 8 years, but its still got a way to go and alwasy seems to be up and coming but never quite there. The problem with Maylands is the cafe strip and the river are very separate and neither of them are enough on their own...yet! Shelley and Riverton are quite nice but much quieter areas - the South East on the train line to Armadale has traditionally been a less nice area so be careful of drifting too far East if you go South. 

Another inner city option you might like is Mount Lawley, Mount Hawthorne or North Perth. Mount Lawley is very near the city and has a lot going on, but I personally prefer Mount Hawthorne just due to feel of the place. I also really like South Fremantle which feels like a quieter, nicer part of town but still with an excellent cafe strip, close to the beach etc and a shrot drive into Fremantle which I personally think is becoming very nice and will tip over into very exclusive in a few years. If I was lookign to invest and had the money, I'd be tempted by South Fremantle or South Perth - they're already expensive, but they should be even more expensive in my view and would be in any other city in Australia.

I havent really helped but hopefully some useful info in there somewhere

I know you mentioned getting into Perth from the Northern suburbs can be a drag, you're right if you drive in but my work relocated from Stilrling Highway, near UWA, to Leederville. Public transport, bus train, was brilliant. Sometimes I'd take the car to Craigie leisure centre early, go for a swim, then catch the bus or walk (2 stops but heaps of buses) to the train station, 5 min walk at Leederville to work, leave the car at Craigie.

Cheaper, quicker and no stress compared with driving in. I have friends who work in the City and they all go by train and enjoy the City walk in the mornings. Perth is small enough to walk anywhere and very few dodgy weather days. Loads do it, call in for a coffee somewhere,nice start to the day. Nothing like Sydney rush hours, way too many people rushing around there for my liking.

Plenty of parks and cycle paths all over. Some great rides up and down the coast and round the river. Parks galore.

Edited by Paul1Perth
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, MacGyver said:

I'm not disputing there is drug manufacturing and sales in these areas, just as there is in most suburbs in most cities unfortunately. All I'm saying is that for the average citizen they would never know and rarely witness anything of this nature, and as you say they go to great lengths not to be noticed. So for most people this hidden drug trade is less of an issue than visible crime like needles lying around their neighbourhood, break in's, car theft, assaults etc etc - things that I personally would consider to make an area "rough" and one to avoid. Where I gre up drugs were sold by people standing on the street corner with associated street violence and a number of other issues. Leederville, Fremantle etc arent like that. Areas in Perth I'd consider ones to avoid would be Armadale, Balga, Balcatta, parts of Hamilton Hill (although slowly becoming 'genrtified'), Midland etc. 

I wonder if those of us who grew up elsewhere are more hypervigilant to some of these things. For example the guy walking beside you with the bottle in his hand - I would also have kept an eye on him and been wary of him, but I know others who would have been in your situation and barely noticed him (at their own risk!).

Meth is a hideous drug, I do agree with that

The thing being the same types replace those that move on. Very suggestive of syndicate activity. But yes, if I had not had to misfortune to have a full blown meth lab set up next to me, I am well have remained oblivious to an activity that must have been going on just not to my knowledge. We endured extreme violence spread over the year, so wasn't all skittles and soda pop by a long chalk. Most the violence was directed from within, but did become part of it. What was disconcerting more though  was events around it. Something I won't go into online. Yes there has been reported car interference and at least one car theft, I'm aware of. The Italian Pizzera a few minutes walk away was 'held up' by a young female. At that time meth heads were presenting on my street  and on two occasions knocked on my door, confusing us with next door. Both times polite though. An area manufacturing this stuff in such volume is somewhat disconcerting. It actually mainstreams the activity and disrupts normal activity. 

I suspect anyone walking down a street approached by a gibberish speaking , aggressive mannered, most likely meth induced , with a bottle in hand, would be aware of the potential for trouble. Be naïve not to.  But hardly uncommon of late in Fremantle over recent times though. Or Perth for that matter. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

To be fair VS it's been quite a while since you were here and you lived in Mandurah didn't you? 

The City has really changed since you left. Northbridge used to be the only lively place after office workers had left. Now the River side of the City is a lot busier and Elizabeth Quay has made a massive difference. Lots of new pubs, laneways and small bars.

There has been changes. Some improvement and some lost opportunity as well in the sense of really getting the city to rock. There's a good buzz I found around the xmas lights spread around the city during that time of year. Still somewhat restrained outside of late night opening on Fridays though. At least for a capital city. The new square by the bus station leading to Northbridge, is losing money with regards the eateries. Leederville is only just recovering from excessive cafe/shop/eateries closures. Subi and Fremantle experienced similar. 

4 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

A friend lives South of Fre, towards Henderson. We had our works Christmas party in Freo 2 years ago. Had a good night, plenty of good pubs and we kicked on till late. I noticed there were a lot more police about than usual and my friend said since they had turfed a few, mainly aboriginal, troublemakers out of Perth they've moved down to Freo. He said he's noticed a bit of a change for the worst.

As long as the cops keep on top of it it'll be fine.

Never felt threatened or worried anywhere in Perth or Freo and when we used to go to Sydney on work trips always stayed at the Holiday Inn at Potts Point. Right across the road from the coca cola sign at Kings Cross. Always had a good time wandering round there too. See all of humanity in the same place.

Having gone to Uni in Birmingham, living near Manchester and my wife working in Moss Side Aus doesn't feel unsafe at all.

Cops only got on top after numerous complaints to Mayor and media. The rot went on for a considerable period before a clean up was conducted. The aboriginal were largely the homeless, the infusion of meth users al races .Having lived in London many years actually felt safer there than taking late night trains or out very late at night in certain localities around Perth. (probably due to being less people around and often an aggro vibe)

But concerning suburbs, few areas in the western suburbs can one go wrong. There not the blue chip burbs for nothing but a price to match. Few if any have much of a vibe though outside of Subiaco or Claremont and Cottesloe . But generally safe. By the river in Ardross and Applecross, are the places I'd go for in terms of safety and a vibe of sorts.  

Edited by Blue Flu

18 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

I'd agree with that. Lived here coming up 13 years. Fremantle, Leederville etc busier than Perth CBD at weekend. Elizabeth Quay has a lovely vibe but very chilled and nothing like I'd imagine Sydney to be though not been so cannot  compare. 

Almost anywhere in Perth is going to be great for bringing up young kids. I'd agree with poster above that Freo and surrounds are most likely to tick all boxes. (Yours and your childs)