Renewing returning residents visa

scmercer

42 minutes ago, scmercer said:

We had our RRV issued last August and with Covid have not had a chance to travel to Australia. This has now expired. Has anyone managed to successfully renew a visa they couldn’t use due to Covid? 

I am not sure how easy it will be to justify a renewal considering PR holders can still enter Australia. 

27 minutes ago, JetBlast said:

I am not sure how easy it will be to justify a renewal considering PR holders can still enter Australia. 

True PR holders can still enter Australia but under very tough conditions.

All other entry dates have disappeared so this could just be the same.

3 hours ago, Lavers said:

True PR holders can still enter Australia but under very tough conditions.

All other entry dates have disappeared so this could just be the same.

This is not an initial entry date, it’s a visa expiry and those haven’t disappeared. 

4 hours ago, scmercer said:

We had our RRV issued last August and with Covid have not had a chance to travel to Australia. This has now expired. Has anyone managed to successfully renew a visa they couldn’t use due to Covid? 

You will only know if you reapply. You haven’t provided enough information to suggest a likely outcome. 

If you got the RRV granted in August and it's now expired, that means they only gave you a year.   That tells me you didn't have a very good case for a RRV, maybe you'd been gone too long and didn't have much connection to Australia. So they gave you just a year to give you a window to move back and prove you really wanted to live in Oz.  

As Paul says, all you can do is apply again and see if they're feeling kind.   I'd say you will have to provide good proof that you tried your best to get to Australia--evidence of flights repeatedly booked and cancelled, etc. 

8 hours ago, Marisawright said:

If you got the RRV granted in August and it's now expired, that means they only gave you a year.   That tells me you didn't have a very good case for a RRV, maybe you'd been gone too long and didn't have much connection to Australia. So they gave you just a year to give you a window to move back and prove you really wanted to live in Oz.

It only tells us they didn’t meet the 2 year residence requirement and that the visa was granted on the basis of substantial ties. It doesn’t give any insight into how strong the substantial ties were. If you don’t meet the 2 year residence requirement then it’s a one visa, however strong the ties are. 

47 minutes ago, paulhand said:

It only tells us they didn’t meet the 2 year residence requirement and that the visa was granted on the basis of substantial ties. It doesn’t give any insight into how strong the substantial ties were. If you don’t meet the 2 year residence requirement then it’s a one visa, however strong the ties are. 

Hi, yes you’re right. We have been back in the UK too long and we’re only entitled to a one year visa even though we do have substantial ties. It has been impossible for us to even consider travelling in the last year with our family. I just wondered if anyone had been in a similar position and had an extension applied rather than having to reapply.

15 minutes ago, scmercer said:

Hi, yes you’re right. We have been back in the UK too long and we’re only entitled to a one year visa even though we do have substantial ties. It has been impossible for us to even consider travelling in the last year with our family. I just wondered if anyone had been in a similar position and had an extension applied rather than having to reapply.

There's no provision to get an extension, you just have to apply for a new one.  

• Like 1