Considering Parents visa - its daunting!

Hamish

Here we are, just for getting through the travel restrictions

https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/immediate-family-australian-citizens-or-permanent-residents-or-new-zealand-citizens-usually-resident-australia

Parents of adult Australian citizens and permanent residents

From 1 November 2021, the definition of ‘immediate family member’ will include the parents of adult Australian citizens and permanent residents. This is for the purpose of assessing exemptions to Australia’s travel restrictions only.

The definition of parents of Australian citizens and permanent residents includes:

• biological parents
  • legal (including adoptive) parents
  • step-parents
  • parents in-law.

Before you can travel, you will need to have your relationship with your adult Australian child confirmed by submitting a travel exemption request. You must submit your request through the Travel Exemption Portal. Select the category ‘I am an immediate family member’ and then ‘parent of adult Australian citizen or permanent resident’.

You will need to provide evidence of:

• your adult child’s Australian citizenship or permanent residency; and
  • your parental relationship to the Australian citizen or permanent resident.

1 hour ago, Robert Dyson said:

They need to ensure people are self-funding pay for any healthcare and to get that signed up to formally.

The old self funded temporary retirement 410 visa was exactly that. It was for everyone, over a certain age, no need to be a parent. 

It was canceled for new applicants in 2005, replaced by the very expensive 405 investor retirement visa, which also closed to new applicants in 2018. 

As both those visas that fit your idea were stopped, I wonder if a similar visa would ever be introduced? The 410 visa apart from being a long term self funded temporary visa, was exactly what you suggest, so there must have been a reason they were canceled. We were on the 410 visa for 17 years, before we got PR,  we cost the country nothing, bought a house with FIRB approval, and spent our money here, so you have to wonder why it was stopped. Perhaps people were rorting the system? or too many retirees were running out of money and trying to get the government to support, even though not entitled to it? Who knows!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ramot said:

The old self funded temporary retirement 410 visa was exactly that. It was for everyone, over a certain age, no need to be a parent. 

It was canceled for new applicants in 2005, replaced by the very expensive 405 investor retirement visa, which also closed to new applicants in 2018. 

As both those visas that fit your idea were stopped, I wonder if a similar visa would ever be introduced?

I must say it has always perplexed me why that visa was stopped.  It seems to be the most sensible solution.

But as you say, if the powers that be thought they were a good idea, they wouldn't have abolished them.  It's hard to see, in that case, why they would start introducing new visas along the same lines.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 19/08/2021 at 09:45, Raul Senise said:

Be mindful that onshore parent visa lodgments are limited by age and not available to everyone. 

Hi Raul

Quick question. My mum and dad are almost 70 and they are currently on 600 visa. arrived last month. 

Will they be eligible to apply for 807 aged parent visa on shore? They do have 8503 no further stay as a condition. 

thanks! 

6 hours ago, AnthonyKaito said:

Hi Raul

Quick question. My mum and dad are almost 70 and they are currently on 600 visa. arrived last month. 

Will they be eligible to apply for 807 aged parent visa on shore? They do have 8503 no further stay as a condition. 

If their visa says "no further stay" then they can't apply for any other visa while onshore.