Thoughts on Bournemouth Move From Perth

Blue Flu

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

When we were there in 2015, house prices were already rocketing and we were told (by estate agents) that it was entirely due to an influx of young families from London.  At the time, it amazed me - how could anyone sensibly decide to live in Bournemouth and commute two hours each way every day?  

I expect the inconvenience is countered by the type of dwelling together with the perceived lifestyle changes and affordability in other areas. Still not something I would enjoy doing every working day. 

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Yes that’s what we found. House prices are very variable so it’s easy to get an optimistic impression online, but when you get there, you find all the nice suburbs are very expensive. You might like the outlying villages but then you have to contend with the fact that all the motorways are practically car parks. I think we would have liked living there if we could have afforded it

I suspect you are correct. The house I saw, not that far out was well under one million dollars. We've been looking for a house here in Perth within a similar price range. So unless it is considerably more expensive it's within the region of doable. The downsides with summer crowding needs to be considered though. It would make sense to lease a holiday let first and see how it pans out. 

1 hour ago, Parley said:

Cheaper than Melbourne I would say. Looked up my old area and looks like about £475000. Where i live in Melbourne now is $1.4 to $1.6M.

I find the Bournemouth price you quoted along the lines that I found. Expensive obviously but acceptable as much as these things ever are , under the circumstances. In Perth a little cheaper, but have looked at houses around 1.2 Million close to city. Slightly more than wanted to pay but doable on money terms alone.

9 hours ago, newjez said:

Worthing is actually quite nice, and is increasing in price rapidly. Lots of boutique breweries popping up. Quite nice restaurants. Lancing etc are still a little rough.

Eastbourne too if you want to go the other way.

But I love Bournemouth. Never lived there but visited many times. Lovely beach.

Your not wrong there. I just looked up a house on Right Move in Worthing. It sold last in 2011 for something like GBP 240,000 now on the market for something like GBP 480,000. I knew Worthing well as a kid as we lived in Goring By Sea. Last visited back in 1989 so expect changes. Seems to be still living in the shade of Brighton though or is that an outdated perception? Yep recall Lancing as well. And Littlehampton . Neither I recall very desirable. Never been to Eastbourne but that did come up for consideration in earlier stages then shelved. 

9 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Loved Bournemouth for holidays when I was in my 20's. Met my wife there, she was staying in the same hotel with a friend, I was there with a few mates.

When the weathers good it's brilliant, one of the best beaches in the UK, much better than Brighton. Gets packed on a nice day though, don't even think of driving and being able to park. The hotel we stayed was about half hour walk from the beach but that was fine.

Had the reputation of being a retirement spot but it was always lively enough for us. If we wanted really lively we'd just go to Spain or Greece.

If we had got turned down for emigration we would have moved to the South Coast, Bournemouth would have been on our list.

It's a nice spot for the UK but nowhere near as nice as here.

Nice is very subjective Paul! 😉

11 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

I wonder if Bournemouth city centre has gone down hill due to closing business or something more profound in the sense of social issues in your view?  I guess I would expect an influx of visitors during the summer months. I do wonder just how disconcerting this might prove to be. It would certainly be best to spend a period of time there to capture the true essence of the place before committing. I'm now thinking just how much a million $A and location would buy in Bournemouth?  

Hi - i'd say a mix of both, we've lost a couple department stores due to insolvency (Beales / Debenhams - although the latter being re-purposed currently)and the likes of M&S have moved out of the centre. Shops are mainly fast fashion (Zara/Primark/H&M) and a mix of others, but quite a limited selection considering the size of the area in my view. I'd say there are some social issues as well, for example a noticeable number of people/groups with apparent alcohol dependencies in the centre (although they generally keep to themselves). Wouldn't want to be too negative though, it's fine, nice in parts and has attracted investment.

For tourists you just have to accept in the summer hols it'll get busy here and adapt accordingly, the high street is busy, the beach can be packed (i live a few mins walk from the beach and don't go down some days) and traffic can be an issue if you time it wrong. 

If my fx is correct a million aussie is about £520k? If that's right, you could definitely find a decent house in a nice area. Depends what you like of course, check out 1) Southbourne decent selection of cafes on the high street, near a quieter section of the beach (Hengistbury Head near there always reminds me of Australia as well) for much more sensible house prices (although prices have gone up a lot), 2) Christchurch, which gets busy in the summer but is pretty with a good little high street, 3) Talbot Woods/Meyrick Park - attractive area with some really good houses/roads and not too far from the beach, 4) Ringwood - c.15mins drive from Bournemouth, but an attractive town near the new forest.

Definitely would agree with you that worth spending some time here to see what area you like, there are plenty of good options. Good luck if you decide to move here!

• Like 1

I spent a few nights in Bournemouth in early July and I thought it was nice.  The town is a tad tired looking in places and was nothing special but not really bad.  The area was nice and there are some lovely gardens and walks about.  If you like sandy beaches you can’t go wrong, the beach is very nice.  We had a few jugs of pimms at a beach bar,  nice atmosphere.  It’s just 6 miles from Poole which is lovely and there is an indoor shopping centre in Poole.  There are many lovely places along that coast but I expect the summer traffic could get a bit annoying.  Someone has mentioned Norfolk.  There are some incredible beaches and areas there, worth a look. 

192F2453-B98B-4A01-B76C-C685F71DB173.png

86ED78C1-3376-4D7F-ADCE-4574D4054E49.png

D110C778-A547-4229-B5D3-EECADD828834.png

• Like 1

17 hours ago, newjez said:

ha ha yes we have a IT bot which searches for key terms like "reno" or "do nothing" and automatically emails HR who in turn automatically send out disciplinary letters to all staff.

Companies might monitor time spend browsing or streaming or blocked content but to have some system which 'reads' what people are saying and fact checks whether they are talking bull is quite ambitious

Perhaps you can develop and improve such a system during your inevitable 5 hour daily commute....

20 hours ago, newjez said:

Depends if they were even bothered. A friend from where I used to work stopped logging on. No one was checking and there was no work to do anyway. He spent the whole time working on his house. He only goes in now about once a month. 

The company just carried on paying everyone, must have cost them billions globally.

19 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

I find the Bournemouth price you quoted along the lines that I found. Expensive obviously but acceptable as much as these things ever are , under the circumstances. In Perth a little cheaper, but have looked at houses around 1.2 Million close to city. Slightly more than wanted to pay but doable on money terms alone.

If you've got 1.2 mil to spend your choice in and around Perth would be massive. You could move 10k away and have a totally different lifestyle, if you're having problems in the nieghbourhood you're in that would be your cheapest option.

If you're planning living in Europe for a good part of the time the only difference is a longer flight.

15 hours ago, Road1 said:

Hi - i'd say a mix of both, we've lost a couple department stores due to insolvency (Beales / Debenhams - although the latter being re-purposed currently)and the likes of M&S have moved out of the centre. Shops are mainly fast fashion (Zara/Primark/H&M) and a mix of others, but quite a limited selection considering the size of the area in my view. I'd say there are some social issues as well, for example a noticeable number of people/groups with apparent alcohol dependencies in the centre (although they generally keep to themselves). Wouldn't want to be too negative though, it's fine, nice in parts and has attracted investment.

For tourists you just have to accept in the summer hols it'll get busy here and adapt accordingly, the high street is busy, the beach can be packed (i live a few mins walk from the beach and don't go down some days) and traffic can be an issue if you time it wrong. 

If my fx is correct a million aussie is about £520k? If that's right, you could definitely find a decent house in a nice area. Depends what you like of course, check out 1) Southbourne decent selection of cafes on the high street, near a quieter section of the beach (Hengistbury Head near there always reminds me of Australia as well) for much more sensible house prices (although prices have gone up a lot), 2) Christchurch, which gets busy in the summer but is pretty with a good little high street, 3) Talbot Woods/Meyrick Park - attractive area with some really good houses/roads and not too far from the beach, 4) Ringwood - c.15mins drive from Bournemouth, but an attractive town near the new forest.

Definitely would agree with you that worth spending some time here to see what area you like, there are plenty of good options. Good luck if you decide to move here!

Many thanks for such an informative post and examples given. I'll check out Southbourne on line. Yes your calculations are correct in currency exchange. Although I do expect the Aussie $ to decline with falling iron prices. I wonder if Boscombe is as bad as sometimes referred to? Would you say drugs are an issue in the area? (a big reason I want out of here) 

I've heard Christchurch is very pleasant. Must give more time to checking that out as well. I think I mentioned elsewhere that had a place booked in Bournemouth last year. Obviously plans scuttled and am giving more considered thought when to try and go again. Unlikely before 2023 as things stand, which is not the desired outcome at all. 

17 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

If you've got 1.2 mil to spend your choice in and around Perth would be massive. You could move 10k away and have a totally different lifestyle, if you're having problems in the nieghbourhood you're in that would be your cheapest option.

If you're planning living in Europe for a good part of the time the only difference is a longer flight.

But anywhere I find desirable is at least closing in on a million and often more. I don't do most Perth suburbs , but a matter of choice. I do not want the necessity of car travel to do or go anywhere. I have been in contact with real estate and the problem I am faced with is everywhere. One told me City Beach even, where she lives has quite a lot going on behind those expensive facades. I will accept though that many will not be aware of what is happening in their environment and I was blissfully unaware for many years in mine. Although I'm sure it was nowhere close to the levels at present. Just to reinstate. I am not talking drug addicts but those in the business of manufacture and they are very presentable and possibly impossible to wind back. 

Not sure to what you refer in writing the only difference between here and Europe is the longer flight? I find a world of difference in and for many things. Not all better but not as 'suffocating' as Perth, if I can put it like that. 

44 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Depends if they were even bothered. A friend from where I used to work stopped logging on. No one was checking and there was no work to do anyway. He spent the whole time working on his house. He only goes in now about once a month. 

The company just carried on paying everyone, must have cost them billions globally.

While others are footing the bill few will care. 

9 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

I spent a few nights in Bournemouth in early July and I thought it was nice.  The town is a tad tired looking in places and was nothing special but not really bad.  The area was nice and there are some lovely gardens and walks about.  If you like sandy beaches you can’t go wrong, the beach is very nice.  We had a few jugs of pimms at a beach bar,  nice atmosphere.  It’s just 6 miles from Poole which is lovely and there is an indoor shopping centre in Poole.  There are many lovely places along that coast but I expect the summer traffic could get a bit annoying.  Someone has mentioned Norfolk.  There are some incredible beaches and areas there, worth a look. 

192F2453-B98B-4A01-B76C-C685F71DB173.png

86ED78C1-3376-4D7F-ADCE-4574D4054E49.png

D110C778-A547-4229-B5D3-EECADD828834.png

Sort of pushes the buttons for me. But it would be rash not to spend time on the ground before making a hasty decision. My probable intent would be most likely to attempt to get my European residency permit restored and move back to that particular country but the bureaucracy are making it harder than hoped. Meanwhile Bournemouth sounds a decent place to park some capital in real estate and decide on further course later. 

I have spent a lot of time in Norfolk during the eighties (Norwich) and never felt the urge to live there. Saying that love The Broads and hiring a boat on them, but thinking about could be worth another trip to check out all these decades later. It felt a bit remote and provincial back in the day.  

19 hours ago, Cup Final 1973 said:

Are you absolutely set on the south coast?  Prices are much more affordable elsewhere - Norfolk, Suffolk, Yorkshire….

You are correct. But other half would likely fare best in Bournemouth with better weather, sandy beach, great walks. I know Norfolk a bit from constant visits in the eighties as family lived at the time in Norwich. Suffolk did spend part of a summer as a kid in Felixstowe  which was our (family) first place of residence arriving from Australia. Only twelve, so hardly relevant. Only passed through Suffolk since then. Never was in Yorks, until a prolonged stay in England back in 2010. (driving tour around the country) Rather liked Whitby and York. Besides the constant rain. I understand Sheffield is very 'friendly'. But outside of preconceptions and a tourist view no real idea.  

42 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

You are correct. But other half would likely fare best in Bournemouth with better weather, sandy beach, great walks. I know Norfolk a bit from constant visits in the eighties as family lived at the time in Norwich. Suffolk did spend part of a summer as a kid in Felixstowe  which was our (family) first place of residence arriving from Australia. Only twelve, so hardly relevant. Only passed through Suffolk since then. Never was in Yorks, until a prolonged stay in England back in 2010. (driving tour around the country) Rather liked Whitby and York. Besides the constant rain. I understand Sheffield is very 'friendly'. But outside of preconceptions and a tourist view no real idea.  

My Aunt, Uncle and cousins live in Robin Hoods Bay, near Whitby. A lovely, quaint spot, spent many a happy summer there when I should really have been at school. Used to finish earlier than I should, before the summer holidays started, then I could beat the students in getting a job at the bakery for the summer. My cousin was full time there so did it for 3 summers on the trot. Loved it but the weather is iffy, the coastline is rough and the sea is always cold. Scarborough has a nice beach but same sort of weather.

Sheffield was our weekend drinking place and a great place to catch good bands. Rain isn't constant but the climate is much better on the South Coast.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

My Aunt, Uncle and cousins live in Robin Hoods Bay, near Whitby. A lovely, quaint spot, spent many a happy summer there when I should really have been at school. Used to finish earlier than I should, before the summer holidays started, then I could beat the students in getting a job at the bakery for the summer. My cousin was full time there so did it for 3 summers on the trot. Loved it but the weather is iffy, the coastline is rough and the sea is always cold. Scarborough has a nice beach but same sort of weather.

Sheffield was our weekend drinking place and a great place to catch good bands. Rain isn't constant but the climate is much better on the South Coast.

Robin Hoods Bay. Family had a cottage there. Always mentioned to come and stay one summer, but funnily always occupied when ever inquired and didn't bother to ask at one stage. Never been but passed it from a distance. Been to Scarborough Beach a couple of times and both times weather iffy. Another reason thought Bournemouth or vicinity  would be the most suitable. 

Sheffield sounds a little like Newcastle, which the latter I know a bit and did consider that as an option. Lovely part of the country apart from the weather which I'm afraid would get tiresome after a time. When stayed there though in 2010, we experienced a heatwave. Almost three days of tropical sort of weather followed by very pleasant summer days. Rain came day before leaving the area. 

One thing constant with UK, like France and much of Europe quite a variety in people and places over a short duration of distance. Somewhat comforting when older to have such choice close at hand. 

7 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

Many thanks for such an informative post and examples given. I'll check out Southbourne on line. Yes your calculations are correct in currency exchange. Although I do expect the Aussie $ to decline with falling iron prices. I wonder if Boscombe is as bad as sometimes referred to? Would you say drugs are an issue in the area? (a big reason I want out of here) 

I've heard Christchurch is very pleasant. Must give more time to checking that out as well. I think I mentioned elsewhere that had a place booked in Bournemouth last year. Obviously plans scuttled and am giving more considered thought when to try and go again. Unlikely before 2023 as things stand, which is not the desired outcome at all. 

I would personally avoid Boscombe, there has been some investment in the area around the pier a few years ago, but more broadly doesn't have a great reputation (including the rep for drugs issues) and it's not that nice on the high street and immediate area. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

I forget, what are the reasons for wanting to settle in the UK rather than Europe?  I got the feeling you were more of a Europhile.  

12 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I forget, what are the reasons for wanting to settle in the UK rather than Europe?  I got the feeling you were more of a Europhile.  

Brexit is over. I don't expect it is easy to just decide you are going to live in a European country.

15 minutes ago, Parley said:

Brexit is over. I don't expect it is easy to just decide you are going to live in a European country.

Strangely, you're wrong.  Before the UK became part of the Common Market, British people frequently settled in European countries.  Brexit doesn't mean Brits can never settle in Europe, it just means they are now subject to the same rules as other foreigners, just like they were before.    Foreigners settle in European countries all the time.   

For instance, when we were considering moving to Italy, it would have been almost easier for my husband to settle there in his own right as an Australian citizen, than jump through the hoops as the spouse of a British passport holder.

Edited by Marisawright

12 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Strangely, you're wrong.  Before the UK became part of the Common Market, British people frequently settled in European countries.  Brexit doesn't mean Brits can never settle in Europe, it just means they are now subject to the same rules as other foreigners, just like they were before.    Foreigners settle in European countries all the time.   

For instance, when we were considering moving to Italy, it would have been almost easier for my husband to settle there in his own right as an Australian citizen, than jump through the hoops as the spouse of a British passport holder.

I knew people who lived in European countries before the UK became part of the EU.  This was in the 1960s.  My parents had friends who retired to Spain and I also knew many small business owners who worked hard (usually 7 days a week) during the peak holiday season in the Lake District (March until October) then spent the winters at their houses in Spain, France or Portugal.  It wasn't an unusual thing to do.  Maybe there wasn't so much red tape back then.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Road1 said:

I would personally avoid Boscombe, there has been some investment in the area around the pier a few years ago, but more broadly doesn't have a great reputation (including the rep for drugs issues) and it's not that nice on the high street and immediate area. 

You confirm what I have heard and read. Way over drugs as well, while don't expect to avoid it completely, that would be fool hardy to expect, have no wish to exchange those manufacturing to users. At least Meth is not prominent as of yet in UK. But the signs are not good with those learning 'the art' over here, in cases I expect to take back. 

But I read a mail recently that Boscombe was not as bad as often made out and the person that lived there hadn't any real issues of safety or concern. I guess they were inferring that the price helped put into perspective certain undesirable issues. But still I'd be personally wary of committing to a less than desirable area based on social issues. 

15 hours ago, Marisawright said:

My Euro residency has long expired. The task of regaining rights of abode is time consuming and Brexit considerably complicated process. I tend to include UK has part of my Europhile preference in place to live , but certainly not confined to.  

2 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

My Euro residency has long expired. The task of regaining rights of abode is time consuming ...

....but not impossible?  When we were in Southampton, one thing I discovered was that you think you are close to the continent for ease of travel, however the cost of the crossing is prohibitive (unless you are willing to take cheap flights to places like Benidorm).  When we did go to Europe, it always ended up being via Gatwick or Heathrow because they were best value (but of course, a horrible experience).   Whereas if you are already in Europe, you can just hop on a train.