Haggis

Hello everyone, 

I’m a bit overwhelmed with the different information I’m finding in regards to where I stand with my permanent visa if I was to leave Australia mid next year.  
I don’t have a strong want to move back to Scotland. It’s only my toddler and I here so I feel like I’m depriving her and all my family of a relationship with each other. I’d like to go back for a year or so to test the waters and go from there. Of course I’d love to spend more time with my mum and grandparents as well :). 
I’m reading that I’d have to give up my PR but also that there’s a loop that if I do I can still return? within the 3 years?
I’d love some words of wisdom if anyone is knowledgeable on this?

If it helps, I’ve been here 5.5 years and have had my PR for just over 1 year, thank you. 

The travel part of the PR will have an expiry ate, which I guess is 3 years from your statement.  Within that time you can return to Australia.  Once that expires you need a Resident Return Visa (RRV) for which you have to show you have enduring ties to Australia, like a home, job, family etc.  It is not guaranteed by agents seem to get good results.  You can apply for the RRV before your travel portion expires, but if outside Australia I believe you usually get a year.  

32 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

but if outside Australia I believe you usually get a year.  

It's nothing to do with where you are and all to do with how long you have spent in Australia as a permanent resident in the 5 years before you apply for the RRV.

15 minutes ago, welljock said:

If you've been here 5.5 years and over 1 year on PR, you could apply for citizenship, would save the jumping through hoops in the hope of getting a RRV further down the line

This would be a good plan ... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Haggis said:

I don’t have a strong want to move back to Scotland. It’s only my toddler and I here so I feel like I’m depriving her and all my family of a relationship with each other. I’d like to go back for a year or so to test the waters and go from there. Of course I’d love to spend more time with my mum and grandparents as well :). 
I’m reading that I’d have to give up my PR....

No, you don't.  In fact, you can't give up your PR, it's impossible!   

However, if you stay away for too long, you could LOSE your PR.   

When you get PR, it comes with a  "travel facility", which allows you to come and go from Australia for 5 years.  The expiry date should be on your passport.  If you leave now, you just have to make absolutely sure you move back to Australia before that expiry date, and then you'll be fine.    

The risk is that time always gets away from you, and you might find you let that date go by - and then you've lost your PR.   

It would be much wiser to apply for citizenship now and wait until you've got it, then you can go back to the UK knowing you can come back any time you want.  The downside is that if you apply for citizenship today, it may take a year to get it.

You can renew your travel facility by applying for a resident return visa.  As long as when you apply for the RRV you have been in Australia for at least 2 full years in the previous 5 years, you will have it approved no problem.

When you renews your travel facility (which it sounds like you can do immediately with an RRV application because you have been in Australia for 5+years) you will then have another 5 years of free travel too and from Australia.  And as Marisawright says also, your permanent residency is permanent.

The downside with citizenship for you right now is the processing time is usually 12-24 months. and you have to be in Australia when it is granted, or so i belive.

5 hours ago, JMcW89 said:

As long as when you apply for the RRV you have been in Australia for at least 2 full years in the previous 5 years, you will have it approved no problem.

It's 2 years as a permanent resident, so the OP would only get a one year RRV if they applied now. If they wait until the 2 years anniversary of the grant of their Permanent visa (and assuming no intervening travel) then they would get a 5 year RRV.

Regarding citizenship. Just apply ASAP processing times vary some are being granted within 6 months.  My son applied in February from ACT and has been approved and waiting for a ceremony date. Yes some have been waiting a while but unless you apply you are not in the queue. 
It doesn’t stop you from applying for an RRV if you need one. 

Edited by rammygirl
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

Regarding citizenship. Just apply ASAP processing times vary some are being granted within 6 months.  My son applied in February from ACT and has been approved and waiting for a ceremony date. Yes some have been waiting a while but unless you apply you are not in the queue. 
It doesn’t stop you from applying for an RRV if you need one. 

Agree with this, apply as soon as possible.  I applied in April and have my ceremony this month.

• Like 1