Compassionate travel exemption to leave and re-enter Australia

HappyHeart

Hi all. Looking for a bit of advice from anyone who has travelled back to UK to see sick relative. I understand the relative must be ‘first degree’ ie Mother, Father or sibling. Is there capacity for the partner of the person travelling to also travel? We may need to return to UK for my husbands Father in near future. Will I be able to accompany him? 

Good question - most of the requests for exemption on this and other boards have been for single individuals because the other partner can’t go. You’d hope that they would consider the family unit at times of trauma and stress but it’ll be interesting to find out.  Sorry to hear you’re probably facing this, it’sa very worrying prospect. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Quoll said:

Good question - most of the requests for exemption on this and other boards have been for single individuals because the other partner can’t go. You’d hope that they would consider the family unit at times of trauma and stress but it’ll be interesting to find out.  Sorry to hear you’re probably facing this, it’sa very worrying prospect. 

Thanks Quoll. Trying to get prepared after some news yesterday. I’m not sure my husband will do well on his own. A complicating factor is communication is poor. 

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

Thanks Quoll. Trying to get prepared after some news yesterday. I’m not sure my husband will do well on his own. A complicating factor is communication is poor. 

So sorry to hear that - this distance thing is a real bugger when the going gets tough, isnt it?  Hope it all works out better than it seems at the moment!

• Thanks 1

I went through this recently with my partner who's mother passed away from an illness rather quickly requiring an urgent trip. We made the tough decision for me to remain as my skills are not on the priority skills list (PMSOL). She's an essential worker and we supplied a strongly worded letter from her employer as part of the exemption request stating this. She got the exemption approved and travelled, and I remained. It was only approved on the basis that she was an essential worker. Collect as much documentation as you can. I reached out to my local MP stating our situation and kindly wrote a letter supporting the exemption being granted. 

• Like 1