Seven seas large movecube tips

Jet88

Hi all, 

We are sending a Seven seas large move cube from uk to australia at the end of August. I have seen that each item in every box needs to be registered on their portal and also box clearly numbered etc.. just wondering if anyone who has done this has any tips for me when packing/labelling things up... anything you wish you had done differently to make it a smoother process? 

Thank you 

• Like 1

My husband did ours, bless him.  He categorised things - books, kitchen equipment, tools, clothes etc. On each box he stuck a list of the contents on front and back of each box going into slightly more detail for things that we might want. He also numbered each box with big numbers front  and  back and weighed each one and wrote the weight on front and back. He also transcribed what he wrote for Seven Seas onto a spreadsheet so that when we came to opening them we knew which box we were aiming for. We did a mock up in the dining  room, making sure it would all fit within the volume and rallied the weight as we went.  In the end it all fitted better in the box than it did in the mock up and we had oodles of space. 

D03ED832-93A2-4942-A3C1-796AB41C5FCD.jpeg

Edited by Quoll
  • Like 4

Oh wow that is some organisation! Is that a large movecube? Did u have any large items of furniture? Alao I see you took your dyson.. Did you get pulled up in oz on this? The lady I spoke to at sevenseas said can take it but has to be clear of dust (it's a vacuum, it's full of dush haha) and I also see you took perfume they told me no liquids ? Any problems with the perfume? I know australia is so strict so just didn't want to have to pay ridiculous amounts of money at the other end if picked up by customs. Thank you

The most important tip is to do a trial pack.  Clear a space somewhere (the garage is the easiest) and mark out the dimensions of the Movecube on the floor and up the walls.   Then start packing and see how much you can fit in.

The problem with the Movecube is that you think "I've got the whole day to pack it" but by the time it gets delivered and you get yourself organised, the time runs away from you very quickly. You're not going to have time to pack and repack and fiddle around.   So you really need to know how everything's going to fit, otherwise you'll end up leaving gaps and not using the space efficiently, and having to leave stuff behind.

You'll be surprised how much you can box up, well in advance of the actual move.   

You can clean a vacuum cleaner.  Perfumes and other liquids won't bother customs provided they're not dangerous chemicals.  It's more of a risk for you - containers get handled pretty roughly, and go through extremes of heat and cold.  If bottles smash or rupture, it's your own stuff that will get ruined.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jet88 said:

Oh wow that is some organisation! Is that a large movecube? Did u have any large items of furniture? Alao I see you took your dyson.. Did you get pulled up in oz on this? The lady I spoke to at sevenseas said can take it but has to be clear of dust (it's a vacuum, it's full of dush haha) and I also see you took perfume they told me no liquids ? Any problems with the perfume? I know australia is so strict so just didn't want to have to pay ridiculous amounts of money at the other end if picked up by customs. Thank you

No problem with any of it.  Vacuum was cleaned to within an inch of its life.  Small bottles of perfume were padded out with lots of yarn. It was a large move cube and we didnt have any furniture but we had books (lots of books, hiding at the back) and yarn (lots of yarn) ditto. We could have fitted in the freezer and tumble dryer which was our initial plan but we decided against it and havent regretted it (much).  We had no furniture as we were moving "home" to our own house - there was already rather too much in the cube that we had to find space for.  I suspect we could have squeezed it all into a medium but when we did the dining room mock up it didnt pack in quite as neatly as it did with sturdy walls.  The only thing we had that got broken was the mudguard on the DH's bike!   We took a risk and didn't insure as there wasnt really much of monetary value in it and the insurance process looked like a real pita.

• Thanks 1

About to book multiple MoveCubes and wondering if anyone has needed more than 1 cube? We have a 3 bedroom house but not bringing everything with us, and wondering how many cubes we need. They advise 4-5 cubes for a 3 bed house which seems a lot. I'm thinking maybe 3 is enough. Are you able to add more cubes if you run out of space? Or if you book too many, can you choose to not use them all?

We aren't taking any beds, but we are taking mattresses. We're not taking any sofas, but we are taking a couple of armchairs. No wardrobes, but a couple of sideboards/chests. And lots of boxes of craft items, kitchen stuff, books, bedding, clothing, kids toys, lots of paintings/artworks, hundreds of vinyl records, 2 small kids bikes, quite a few plant pots (cleaned) etc. 

Did anyone use the MoveCube cardboard boxes that can be included or just repurpose your own/buy off ebay? I've heard plastic tubs crack/break if stacked together, did that not happen in your experience? Do they provide guidance on acceptable labelling? 

Which insurance would you recommend? I wouldn't be happy with the basic insurance that MoveCube offers. I'd want something with more cover in the instance individual items were damaged in the shipment. How does insurance work for something you pack up yourselves? Is there even such a thing?

And finally, how long did it actually TAKE to pack up all your belongings, with an inventory, this way. Was it weeks/months? It seems a mammoth job, and wondering if I should start this process now.... 😅

I've never known anyone send more than one.  Multiple cubes sounds like a great idea to allow you to stagger the loss of goods on this end and the arrival at the other end, but it's going to take a lot of planning.  I would definitely start packing immediately.

Trial pack

It's absolutely essential to do a trial run with a Movecube.  That means clearing a space and marking off the size of your Movecube with tape on the floor and walls, and packing it. Packing a Movecube is like a 3-dimensional jigsaw puzzle, and you won't have time to muck around repacking and repositioning on the day, because you only get 2 hours to pack it (or 4 hours if you have 2 cubes, 6 if you have 3 etc).  

They say on the website that you can keep it for as long as you need, but did you notice that you're charged extra for every extra 15 minutes?    

I'm just wondering how easy or practical it will be to mark out the size of 2 or 3 Movecubes at the same time.   I guess if you're sending the Movecubes in advance of your move date, you could just wing it. If you have stuff left over, you can always send a box or two separately, or order another small Movecube (though those will be new orders, with their own lead times). 

Boxes

The advantage of buying "tea chest" size boxes from a storage place, or Movecube, is that they are all a uniform size, so they'll all stack neatly on top of each other with no wasted space.  That means you'll fit more in and it will be very quick to pack into the cube.  Also, moving a few big boxes (assuming you have a trolley) is quicker than moving lots of little ones.  They're stronger too, so they won't crumple under the weight of boxes stacked on top.  

22 hours ago, bicek said:

About to book multiple MoveCubes and wondering if anyone has needed more than 1 cube? We have a 3 bedroom house but not bringing everything with us, and wondering how many cubes we need. They advise 4-5 cubes for a 3 bed house which seems a lot. I'm thinking maybe 3 is enough. Are you able to add more cubes if you run out of space? Or if you book too many, can you choose to not use them all?

We aren't taking any beds, but we are taking mattresses. We're not taking any sofas, but we are taking a couple of armchairs. No wardrobes, but a couple of sideboards/chests. And lots of boxes of craft items, kitchen stuff, books, bedding, clothing, kids toys, lots of paintings/artworks, hundreds of vinyl records, 2 small kids bikes, quite a few plant pots (cleaned) etc. 

Did anyone use the MoveCube cardboard boxes that can be included or just repurpose your own/buy off ebay? I've heard plastic tubs crack/break if stacked together, did that not happen in your experience? Do they provide guidance on acceptable labelling? 

Which insurance would you recommend? I wouldn't be happy with the basic insurance that MoveCube offers. I'd want something with more cover in the instance individual items were damaged in the shipment. How does insurance work for something you pack up yourselves? Is there even such a thing?

And finally, how long did it actually TAKE to pack up all your belongings, with an inventory, this way. Was it weeks/months? It seems a mammoth job, and wondering if I should start this process now.... 😅

You know that bed sizes in Australia are different from Europe? Don’t bother with mattresses unless you bring the beds. Ditto bedding (fitted sheets anyway).

We used the move cube boxes plus another few packs from storage world. We tended to try and keep them manageable weight - didn’t have any super large boxes but when you can pack 30kg of yarn into a medium size box, wrangling anything larger would have been a nightmare. Thank heavens my DH lifts weights so hefting 30kg into the cube wasn’t an issue for him (I stuck to the under 20kg items).  Remember that you’ll have to stack it yourself - our driver chose to be super helpful but that was pre-COVID. Remember, too, that they give you a time limit on packing so have everything accessible on the day and, if you can, have a plan, from your mock up, about which items go in first.  Put contentious things that customs/quarantine might get antsy about at the opening end, that way they don’t have to burrow through. 

We also had a number of good sized plastic boxes, many repurposed, which were a good size for a manageable weight of books - they all stood the strain, maybe because they were firmly packed with books. We bought a bike box but DH was a bit cavalier and didn’t pack it firmly enough, hence the broken mudguard! We used clothing, Manchester, yarn etc as packing items where we could (and lots and lots of newspaper for individually wrapping plates, mugs, vases etc)

Can’t remember how long it took but DH was on the job for a good month before it all came together. Some things are easily packed early - like the books and the best China. We had a spreadsheet detailing what (in general) was in each box which proved invaluable when the cube arrived.

Cant help with the multi cube thing but in your situation what Id probably do is to stagger them - pack up enough for the first, send it off then start on the second and then you’ll be able to judge what size and how many you’ll need. You can “camp” with very little in reality once they’re gone.

Cant help you with insurance either. We chose not to get it as it seemed like a huge faff and we were lucky but I did chew a few fingernails over that as I’m a belt and braces gal.

Rather you than me! My DH is a bit OCD at the best of times and he just took it all in his stride. Lists and labels are his thing! (Label 2 sides of the boxes, number them and put the weight of each on both sides so they are easily accessible!)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/08/2021 at 15:16, Jet88 said:

Hi all, 

We are sending a Seven seas large move cube from uk to australia at the end of August. I have seen that each item in every box needs to be registered on their portal and also box clearly numbered etc.. just wondering if anyone who has done this has any tips for me when packing/labelling things up... anything you wish you had done differently to make it a smoother process? 

Thank you 

Did you have to itemise everything? So if you're packing cutlery, are you having to write down how many forks, how many knives etc.. And what material they're made of? Wondering the level of detail needed as I'm about to start packing up some boxes. 

14 minutes ago, bicek said:

Did you have to itemise everything? So if you're packing cutlery, are you having to write down how many forks, how many knives etc.. And what material they're made of? Wondering the level of detail needed as I'm about to start packing up some boxes. 

Hi I'm actually packing my stuff this weekend as it arrives next week but when I spoke to them they said you do have to itemise everything! Seems crazy and a huge task so think it will be some late nights coming up!

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone used a Seven Seas MoveCube and had any issues with breakages or mould/mildew?

I notice that insurance typically doesn't cover these things for self packed items so wondering if anyone has had any issues at all or did their goods arrive all ok? 

Thanks in advance...

On 19/08/2021 at 20:37, Jet88 said:

Hi I'm actually packing my stuff this weekend as it arrives next week but when I spoke to them they said you do have to itemise everything! Seems crazy and a huge task so think it will be some late nights coming up!

How did you get on with the packing? Have you insured your MoveCube at all?

• 10 months later...

Hi, so my Movecube is coming next week. Packing is going well. I have a question on the itemisation  - how rigourous do we need to be? Is general headings like ornaments, clothing, shoes, wooden items sufficient, or do we really need to list every item in every box?? Would be great to hear anyones feedback on the end to end process!

11 minutes ago, Greystones said:

Hi, so my Movecube is coming next week. Packing is going well. I have a question on the itemisation  - how rigourous do we need to be? Is general headings like ornaments, clothing, shoes, wooden items sufficient, or do we really need to list every item in every box?? Would be great to hear anyones feedback on the end to end process!

On the inventory you provide them for customs. You need to be fairly descriptive. Quantities and materials are useful. If you're packing wooden items you need to mention this. Eg. wooden kitchen utensils x 6. Mens clothing x 15. Wooden framed pictures x 5 etc... 

On the box itself we labeled the outside more basic, just listing roughly the contents. Eg. Kids wooden toys, bedding, towels, kitchen glassware, etc. We marked any boxes containing wood/animal skin/shoes etc and packed those near the front of the container. Clean your shoes! 

On 08/07/2022 at 11:19, bicek said:

On the inventory you provide them for customs. You need to be fairly descriptive. Quantities and materials are useful. If you're packing wooden items you need to mention this. Eg. wooden kitchen utensils x 6. Mens clothing x 15. Wooden framed pictures x 5 etc... 

On the box itself we labeled the outside more basic, just listing roughly the contents. Eg. Kids wooden toys, bedding, towels, kitchen glassware, etc. We marked any boxes containing wood/animal skin/shoes etc and packed those near the front of the container. Clean your shoes! 

Thanks Bicek, we are more or less following that method. It's hard to be 100% prescriptive with small items but we are grouping things together as best possible. Shoes will be at the front and spotlessly clean!

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, BigJoe said:

We’re have a large move cube booked for the 2nd October, worried now that it’s not big enough. I wonder is we can order a small one to arrive on the same day.

Yes you can have two Movecubes delivered on the same day.    Have you marked out the space on the floor somewhere and done a test pack?

• Like 1