Buying a house

1 hour ago, Cath.C said:

But when appraisers or evaluators or real estate agents come in to value the house, they use recent comparable sold values.  So if an individual doesn't have access to the sold prices, they are at a disadvantage compared to the agents.  Is there a publicly accessible database of actual sold, not asking, prices?

I'm not concerned about making fair comparisons based on photos, of course I know many of the tricks, like taking ultrawide angle photos and digitally imposing furniture without distortion.  Ultrawide angle distortion to make a walkway look like a yard.  Overexposing walls to hide flaws.  Closeup of plants to distract from mildew between the tiles.  I'm concerned about finding out how much houses in given neighborhoods in varying states of renovation or upkeep are selling for.  But a couple of months of looking at the progression of houses for sale does provide some education.  Identifying signs of rising damp on the walls, panels likely to be asbestos especially if the laundry rooms have never been remodeled, evidence of roof damage, etc, etc, etc.  All of that can be assessed during home inspections.  

If you type in an address of a house on a particular street you like then this should land you on realestate.com with the particular house details you have searched, click on this and scroll away, it should then give you the homes previous sold prices and even a close indication of its current value.( sometimes homes won’t show previous sold prices but then you just type in next door ) 

Obviously next doors price is only a indicator but it gives you something to work off

Edited by Wa7

12 hours ago, Cath.C said:

So if an individual doesn't have access to the sold prices, they are at a disadvantage compared to the agents.  Is there a publicly accessible database of actual sold, not asking, prices?

As rammygirl advised in her post above,  you can find sold prices on the real estate sites mentioned.  For example, go to domain. com.au, enter a suburb you are interested in,  then select the "Sold" button to the right.  Certainly in my area I know that the actual sale prices (not the original asking price) are being shown there.  But if you want to be sure you can check the address listing at oldlistings.com.au.  It is up to date - currently listing  advertised "For sale" prices in December 2021.

Also the "Sold" sites mentioned above show median sold prices for the suburb according to categories, eg.  2 bed unit, 3 bed house etc. and link to other market data such as average days on the market.