Daughter moving to Australia

John Adam

Hi, my daughter lives in the UK and has a UK passport. I'm an Australian citizen, Australian born and passport. Due to family circumstances going bad in the UK I want her to move to Australia and live with me permanently. She will need to be able to work and stay in OZ on a permanent basis.

What is the process to get her here are soon as possible, once international borders are re-opened. What visa will she need, she is 21. And any rough idea how long this process takes?

Cheers

John

She will be a citizen by descent.

I'm going through the same process for my son. But I fell at the first hurdle as his UK passport was out of date. I need to have another go.

Not sure how long it will take with covid.

Good luck.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/citizenship/become-a-citizen/by-descent&ved=2ahUKEwjM7LC59I7yAhUrQUEAHTw_DqcQFjAAegQIBhAC&usg=AOvVaw3tap7xC6SOpRoTM6dJfG8r

Were you an Australian citizen before her birth?  If so, she will be able to apply for citizenship by descent.  I dont think that is taking awfully long but you could check to see that she is eligible and what you would need to do - if you have your marriage cert, birth cert and her birth cert I think that should do it.  She has to register as a citizen by descent first then she can get an Australian passport and then she can come and go (and if she is a citizen the borders will be open for her but she will have to quarantine of course)

Edited by Quoll
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Quoll said:

Were you an Australian citizen before her birth?  If so, she will be able to apply for citizenship by descent.  I dont think that is taking awfully long but you could check to see that she is eligible and what you would need to do - if you have your marriage cert, birth cert and her birth cert I think that should do it.  She has to register as a citizen by descent first then she can get an Australian passport and then she can come and go (and if she is a citizen the borders will be open for her but she will have to quarantine of course)

If she is an adult she will need a police check too.

If she is a child it will be more complicated as the other parent may not agree to your plan.

Edited by Parley

If you weren't a citizen before she was born, then she will have to qualify for a skilled visa in her own right, based on her own qualifications and experience.  Or, once the borders open, she could come over on a Working Holiday Visa if she's within the age limits, which will at least get her into the country.