Jt15

Hi guys, 

I am currently living in Australia on a bridging visa A, with my immediate family who are Australian residents.

Long story short

My parents and 3 little brothers moved here 7 years ago whilst I was at university and due to me being classed as independent (I was 23) I was removed from their visa (skilled work). 

I then applied for a remaining relative visa (onshore) to which gave me a 50 year wait time for my visa (with no working rights as I entered Australia on a holiday visa).

I am now 27, and have found a partner (Australian citizen). We tick a lot of the boxes required to apply for a partner visa, however we recently approached a few visa agents regarding the application.

We have had two responses, one said yes all good we can apply. The other said, due to my current application and bridging visa, I won’t be able to apply.

I contacted immigration and the woman I spoke to pretty much read off the website and couldn’t answer the simplest of questions (she suggested I contact a visa agent 😂)

I’m just looking for someone who might have been in a similar situation, or someone who has experience in this field. 

Apologies if I’ve not included enough info for you guys to advise me!

Thanks in advance! 

Jack

I think you need to talk to a third agent. Clearly one of the two you spoke to knows something the other one doesn't. Leaving your chances of success to one side for the moment, it's vital to know if in your situation you are allowed to apply for a partner visa or not and with one of these agents saying you are not allowed to apply and other saying you are allowed to apply you need to find out which one of them is the idiot.

• Like 1

Personally, I'd say neither was entirely correct nor indeed completely incorrect. Based on what you have said, yes, you can apply, but no it's not "all good".

If you have been on a bridging visa for some time, you will need to satisfy schedule 3 requirements, which are quite a high bar beyond just proving the relationship.

As suggested, I would get some professional advice tailored to your specific circumstances.

• Like 1