Parley

Tokyo 2020 Olympics thread

1 hour ago, Toots said:

No they don't     ................................  thank God. 

Well in that case, making the girls play in bikini bottoms is definitely a deliberate ploy to attract the male audience.  My husband would say there's nothing wrong with that, but they shouldn't be forced to do it if they don't want to.

Apart from anything, else, those bikini bottoms are so high cut in the leg and low-cut above the pubis, the girls must all have to have Brazilians, poor things (ouch).

• Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

1 hour ago, Parley said:

You are probably about right.

Australia just got another gold in the pool and that is where we always excel. So we may be ahead of GB in week 1 or equal but probably fall back in week 2 after the swimming is over.

Should both do well in the track cycling

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Parley said:

You are probably about right.

Australia just got another gold in the pool and that is where we always excel. So we may be ahead of GB in week 1 or equal but probably fall back in week 2 after the swimming is over.

One would hope so.   It always used to mystify me why Australia would expect to do as well as a country like the UK which has nearly 3 times the population.  

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

30 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

One would hope so.   It always used to mystify me why Australia would expect to do as well as a country like the UK which has nearly 3 times the population.  

Because we love our sport and are very good at it.

You might as well say why  did Australia always beat England at cricket for something like a decade.

Apart from Adam Peaty, why don't England seem to have many good swimmers?

• Haha 1

Buy a man eat fish. The Day, Teach Man, to lifetime.      - Joe Biden.

Team GB have 2 gold medals in the swimming. They had a 1-2 in the 200m free

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, welljock said:

Team GB have 2 gold medals in the swimming. They had a 1-2 in the 200m free

Yes i just saw that. I might have to eat my words.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parley said:

Yes i just saw that. I might have to eat my words.

GB hired a lot of Australians from the AIS and state sports academies over the last decade or two.  The money they were throwing around at the AIS was eye watering.  Rumoured half of the AIS will be sold off for housing, as it’s pretty empty these days. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Parley said:

You might as well say why  did Australia always beat England at cricket for something like a decade.

We let you win 😉

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Parley said:

Because we love our sport and are very good at it.

Apart from Adam Peaty, why don't England seem to have many good swimmers?

Swimming isn't particular big in the UK, but as Marisa says with triple the population it gives you a bigger advantage.

There has been lots of money put into sports in the UK and there has been a big shift over the last 10yrs with people getting more into sports and keeping fit.

It's all about getting kids into clubs at a very young age now.

Edited by Lavers
  • Like 2

I completely forgot that Britain finished 2nd in the Rio games, what a monumental effort that what, there is no way we are matching that this time round 

2016 Summer Olympics medal table
Rank NOC Gold Silver Bronze Total
1 22px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States (USA) 46 37 38 121
2 22px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png Great Britain (GBR) 27 23 17 67
3 22px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_ China (CHN) 26 18 26 70
4 22px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png Russia (RUS) 19 17 20 56
5 22px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png Germany (GER) 17 10 15 42
6 22px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png Japan (JPN) 12 8 21 41
7 22px-Flag_of_France.svg.png France (FRA) 10 18 14 42
8 22px-Flag_of_South_Korea.svg.png South Korea (KOR) 9 3 9 21
9 22px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png Italy (ITA) 8 12 8 28
10 22px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png Australia (AUS) 8 11 10 29

6 hours ago, Parley said:

Most of our elite sportsmen wanted to play football!  I think the money now in Cricket has changed that a bit.

PR (100) Planning to move to Perth September 2021

On 24/07/2021 at 15:56, HappyHeart said:

The opening ceremony was great. Very moving in parts. One thing that struck me was the inequity in world sports. 2 Ethiopian athletes and 600 plus Americans. 

They have to make qualifying times. There's lots of athletes from lots of countries, including here, that would love to go and don't make the time.

Didn't see the opening ceromony and won't bother with the closing one. They don't interest me. Love the sport though, signed up for 7+ and catch up with just about everything. God send for me at the moment, I'm at home with a broken fibula and a moon boot on for 6 weeks. Just over 2 weeks in.

Both triathlons were disappointing for the Aussie teams, GB are doing well. Really enjoying the swimming but I'll watch just about any sports.

On 25/07/2021 at 23:43, simmo said:

What do we think of the Norway women's beach volleyball team being fined for wearing shorts rather than the traditional knickers?

Good for them I say. I don't see a problem. 

image.thumb.png.7f8a5e1b9873865d799ba75da7aad569.png

image.thumb.png.c8010ae3d7f7aaf41607a3ec673b5839.png

It's the standard mandatory uniform though isn't it. Put it this way, I've watched replays of the ladies beach volleyball but not the mens.😁

• Haha 1

On 26/07/2021 at 20:03, Drumbeat said:

I'm completely behind the Norwegians - bloody ridiculous rule. I've just read in an article that Pink has offered to pay the team's fines 

Ah pink eh, the one who loves getting around in her stage show in next to nothing.

14 hours ago, Lavers said:

Depends if there good looking or not, if not I think a burkini should be used 😂

Usually the beach volleyballers are tall, good looking, fit girls. 

50 degrees when the Aussies were playing the other day, must scorch their feet.

11 hours ago, Lavers said:

Swimming isn't particular big in the UK, but as Marisa says with triple the population it gives you a bigger advantage.

There has been lots of money put into sports in the UK and there has been a big shift over the last 10yrs with people getting more into sports and keeping fit.

It's all about getting kids into clubs at a very young age now.

Swimming is much bigger in the UK than it was, but only since they started investing in it around 2006.   Prior to that they were dismal and you had sporadic winners like Goodhew, Wilkie, Moorcroft, Davies etc.   Now they have a proper team with strength in depth, and places like Birmingham now have a 50m pool, which they lacked for 30 years and could not afford one despite having a population of over 1 million.

The UK took the Australian coaches from Sydney 2000 and copied the AIS methods, and they invested in excellence.  The top coaches move around like guns for hire because the upcoming host nations will invest heavily to avoid national embarrassment at a home Olympics.

UK got a small boost for Bejing 2008, a huge boost for London 2012 when the investment was planned to peak, then a residual boost til Rio 2016 with top athletes able to last for a second Olympics....you can almost graph all host nations on the same trends. 

The difference is for the UK, is that they heavily cut funding after London 2012 and the coaches moved on, but as you rightly say the aim of London 2012 was to leave a legacy for young athletes to develop, and some of those are now coming through as champions.  Maybe they are bucking the trend of hosting an Olympics and then forgetting about it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robert Dyson said:

Swimming is much bigger in the UK than it was, but only since they started investing in it around 2006.   Prior to that they were dismal and you had sporadic winners like Goodhew, Wilkie, Moorcroft, Davies etc.   Now they have a proper team with strength in depth, and places like Birmingham now have a 50m pool, which they lacked for 30 years and could not afford one despite having a population of over 1 million.

The UK took the Australian coaches from Sydney 2000 and copied the AIS methods, and they invested in excellence.  The top coaches move around like guns for hire because the upcoming host nations will invest heavily to avoid national embarrassment at a home Olympics.

UK got a small boost for Bejing 2008, a huge boost for London 2012 when the investment was planned to peak, then a residual boost til Rio 2016 with top athletes able to last for a second Olympics....you can almost graph all host nations on the same trends. 

The difference is for the UK, is that they heavily cut funding after London 2012 and the coaches moved on, but as you rightly say the aim of London 2012 was to leave a legacy for young athletes to develop, and some of those are now coming through as champions.  Maybe they are bucking the trend of hosting an Olympics and then forgetting about it.

Thy did more than copy AIS methods, they poached the staff…

1 hour ago, Bulya said:

Thy did more than copy AIS methods, they poached the staff…

That's what he said "The UK took the Australian coaches from Sydney 2000"

• Like 1

Just now, welljock said:

That's what he said "The UK took the Australian coaches from Sydney 2000"

Not exactly.  Thry we’re taking coaches etc from the AIS etc well before Sydney 2000. 

• Haha 1

Just a point it was the Norwegian Beach HANDball team that was fined and it was at the European Championships not the Olympics

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Red Rose said:

I completely forgot that Britain finished 2nd in the Rio games, what a monumental effort that what, there is no way we are matching that this time round 

2016 Summer Olympics medal table
Rank NOC Gold Silver Bronze Total
1 22px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States (USA) 46 37 38 121
2 22px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png Great Britain (GBR) 27 23 17 67
3 22px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_ China (CHN) 26 18 26 70
4 22px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png Russia (RUS) 19 17 20 56
5 22px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png Germany (GER) 17 10 15 42
6 22px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.png Japan (JPN) 12 8 21 41
7 22px-Flag_of_France.svg.png France (FRA) 10 18 14 42
8 22px-Flag_of_South_Korea.svg.png South Korea (KOR) 9 3 9 21
9 22px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png Italy (ITA) 8 12 8 28
10 22px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png Australia (AUS) 8 11 10 29

If only AFL was in the olympics 🤣

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, unzippy said:

Too hard for most foreign types, although it is played in 40 or more countries. 

3 hours ago, Robert Dyson said:

Do they still do that lottery to raise money?

Posted (edited)

Gold to the women and the men in the rowing this morning. Go Aussies.

Edited by Parley
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, unzippy said:

They would probably struggle to get enough teams to take part in a final.

• Like 1