Parley

Tokyo 2020 Olympics thread

8 hours ago, Parley said:

Australia currently leading the medal tally in the Paralympics.

I watched one the swimmers win gold and he might have done well in the able-bodied Olympics. 

I find it hard to understand how they categorise people, there's a world of difference to be missing a hand or be missing a leg and then make them compete.  I just watch it for the stories and to see people getting the opportunity to be acknowledged, but pay little attention to the medal tally or the winners.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Robert Dyson said:

I find it hard to understand how they categorise people, there's a world of difference to be missing a hand or be missing a leg and then make them compete.  I just watch it for the stories and to see people getting the opportunity to be acknowledged, but pay little attention to the medal tally or the winners.

Apparently there's a lot of controversy and bad feeling about how they classify people.  It must be very difficult to come up with a system that's fair to everyone.  Some of the sports are not a level playing field because of equipment, either.  For instance,  those blades they use for running can cost about $6,000 each, and there are state-of-the-art sports wheelchairs that cost thousands, too.  

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Watching wheelchair rugby at the moment, good viewing, tough game with some fair old collisions going on.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Apparently there's a lot of controversy and bad feeling about how they classify people.  It must be very difficult to come up with a system that's fair to everyone.  Some of the sports are not a level playing field because of equipment, either.  For instance,  those blades they use for running can cost about $6,000 each, and there are state-of-the-art sports wheelchairs that cost thousands, too.  

Do they only accept people with physical disabilities?

10 hours ago, Robert Dyson said:

I watched one the swimmers win gold and he might have done well in the able-bodied Olympics. 

Did we always have the medal tallies for the Olympics. Trying to remember back to my childhood. I'm sure I don't remember countries 'winning' the Olympics. I'm sure it was about individuals. 

• Like 1

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

Has anyone seen the Table Tennis events where people with no arms have the bat in their mouths. Unbelievable and very inspirational.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dusty Plains said:

Has anyone seen the Table Tennis events where people with no arms have the bat in their mouths. Unbelievable and very inspirational.

How do they serve?

Buy a man eat fish. The Day, Teach Man, to lifetime.      - Joe Biden.

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Parley said:

How do they serve?

I’ve just choked on my cuppa! You do make me smile.

Edited by Tulip1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

I’ve just choked on my cuppa! You do make me smile.

It’s a good question though.

On 26/08/2021 at 07:57, Marisawright said:

There's an entire division behind the scenes specifically there the ensure that the equipment used falls between certain criteria.  Same way as throwing equipment has to be individually measured and signed off by technical.  I did a couple of racing wheelchairs for the North Queensland champs - it involves many, many measurements!  Haven't yet done a racing limb though.  Bloke who mentors me was in charge of the Tech Shed at London and Sydney Olympics, plus a couple of world championships.  I'll have to ask him how it's done specifically.

I complianced the discus that Matt Denny threw for his 5th a few weeks ago.  there's a little sticker on it with my name signing it off.  Vicariously proud!

• Like 5

insta #tabradders
Fine art landscape and portrait photography.  And occasionally fannying around with ultra-macro when I should be working.