309 extensions and cancellations?

Hi all,

Hoping someone here could help me with the following two questions.

I had my 309 (offshore) visa granted in March 2021 which came quickly after 5 months from application in September 2020, with a RFI in November 2020. My agent is pretty good and supports us each stage of the way. Our planning for our move was based around the 309 usually taking 18 months to clear with authorities, which would have suited us better given the current entry restrictions and commercial travel costs (meaning we would have relocated late 2022 / early 2023). Unfortunatley, this year has been difficult with challenges on my family in the UK and with the turmoil in Australia, we are reassessing our choices. My questions are:

• I understand the entry date is a condition of the visa, but with the cost of flights and quarantine at the moment, has anyone - particularly agents - had any experience with Immigration extending initial entry dates / requests for alternate entry dates?
  • In the worst case, if we cancel the visa, is it going to be a problem for me to submit another 309 application at a later stage next year when travel is more free? Do Immigration have an issue with an applicant cancelling and reapplying later?

Thanks in advance...

The Good news is they have effectively waived the entry by date for the time being.  There is something called a Travel Facilitation Letter!

Travel facilitation letter request form (homeaffairs.gov.au)

No need to cancel anything.  I am sure they will expect you to move when things open up a bit, but for now no need to panic.

Edited by Jon the Hat
  • Thanks 1

Hi Jon,

Thanks very much for the reply, I have seen the letter but it's unclear how much additional time is granted to plan and to book entry. Do you have experience with submitting that letter?

When you say 'for the time being' ... our entry date is March 2022 - some media coverage suggesting full vaccine coverage in Australia by March 2022 ... so, my question now is - when will they remove the extension period and leave me with days to frantically organise? Haha.

We'll likely submit that letter later in the year.

Cheers

On 14/07/2021 at 12:49, letmeinsoon said:

Hi all,

Hoping someone here could help me with the following two questions.

I had my 309 (offshore) visa granted in March 2021 which came quickly after 5 months from application in September 2020, with a RFI in November 2020. My agent is pretty good and supports us each stage of the way. Our planning for our move was based around the 309 usually taking 18 months to clear with authorities, which would have suited us better given the current entry restrictions and commercial travel costs (meaning we would have relocated late 2022 / early 2023). Unfortunatley, this year has been difficult with challenges on my family in the UK and with the turmoil in Australia, we are reassessing our choices. My questions are:

• I understand the entry date is a condition of the visa, but with the cost of flights and quarantine at the moment, has anyone - particularly agents - had any experience with Immigration extending initial entry dates / requests for alternate entry dates?
  • In the worst case, if we cancel the visa, is it going to be a problem for me to submit another 309 application at a later stage next year when travel is more free? Do Immigration have an issue with an applicant cancelling and reapplying later?

Thanks in advance...

This is EXACTLY what is happening with us, I could have written this myself down to the month I applied for the visa and when I need to arrive by haha.

Problem with only being able to apply 3 months before is that is takes more than 3 months to plan the move (have to start the process for our dog 6 months before!) If we wait till 3 months before and they reject our extension it will be panic stations! 

• 1 month later...

It's a problem and I'd like to understand the official position. I'm concerned that Immigration will be 'told' that domestic vaccinations finished around November / December 2021 when everyone 'thinks' 70% of the population will be vaccinated, so extensions for offshore applicants are no longer possible as of then, and suddenly the extension document will cease to exist. That would leave all of us who have been forced to wait a whole year offshore due to government policy and horrendous flight costs with 3 months to move to the other side of the world.

On 15/07/2021 at 23:43, JSummer said:

This is EXACTLY what is happening with us, I could have written this myself down to the month I applied for the visa and when I need to arrive by haha.

Problem with only being able to apply 3 months before is that is takes more than 3 months to plan the move (have to start the process for our dog 6 months before!) If we wait till 3 months before and they reject our extension it will be panic stations! 

1 hour ago, letmeinsoon said:

It's a problem and I'd like to understand the official position. I'm concerned that Immigration will be 'told' that domestic vaccinations finished around November / December 2021 when everyone 'thinks' 70% of the population will be vaccinated, so extensions for offshore applicants are no longer possible as of then, and suddenly the extension document will cease to exist. That would leave all of us who have been forced to wait a whole year offshore due to government policy and horrendous flight costs with 3 months to move to the other side of the world.

If you hold a 309 visa, you haven't been 'forced' to do anything, you have chosen to wait to move in order to reduce the costs and inconvenience of a move at this time. I see no reason to expect that any 'concessions' around initial entry dates will be removed with no warning and in a manner that leaves anyone scrambling to move before an arbitrary deadline. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/08/2021 at 15:21, paulhand said:

If you hold a 309 visa, you haven't been 'forced' to do anything, you have chosen to wait to move in order to reduce the costs and inconvenience of a move at this time. I see no reason to expect that any 'concessions' around initial entry dates will be removed with no warning and in a manner that leaves anyone scrambling to move before an arbitrary deadline. 

Paul,

Thanks. That wasn't the opinion of my agent - "there'll be a dramatic reopening to secure an election win" 😂

At no point is the word 'force' used in my message. I've had several flights (and cruises no less) to Aus cancelled - not by choice.

Greg Hunt just extended the Biosecurity period to 17 December meaning restrictions will be in effect until at least then, allowing the facilitation of the extension letter.

On 25/08/2021 at 13:36, letmeinsoon said:

That would leave all of us who have been forced to wait a whole year offshore due to government policy 

26 minutes ago, letmeinsoon said:

At no point is the word 'force' used in my message.

??

26 minutes ago, letmeinsoon said:

That wasn't the opinion of my agent - "there'll be a dramatic reopening to secure an election win" 

Personally, I think a “dramatic reopening” would be anything but election winning assuming the Libs want to win any seats in WA, QLD, SA or TAS. 

Even if there is an opening up, dramatic or otherwise, I don’t believe that the IED concessions will be withdrawn … they just aren’t a big deal to the Department. 

Edited by paulhand
  • Like 1

Just now, paulhand said:

Even if there is an opening up, dramatic or otherwise, I don’t believe that the IED concessions will be withdrawn … they just aren’t a big deal to the Department. 

That's great. So (reading between the lines) you think they'll be in place until at least the end of the year?

Not trying to be difficult - I'd like to enter - but I'm getting a little fed up of flights being cancelled as well as cruises (no less!)