Off Grid Living

HappyHeart

On 13/07/2021 at 06:38, HappyHeart said:

That's why I prefaced my post with 

Peoples ideas of being off grid vary. The purists wouldn't entertain an internet connection but the realists understand it's essential for most. That's just one aspect. 

I'm not talking about raising and killing our own meat, just 'some' veggies, eggs etc. 

The community we are moving to is quite progressive and there is an shire requirement/ expectation that our home is built to solar passive principles and makes use of sustainable energy. 

Plenty of people live without mains electric and water. We've got to start somewhere. This reliance on convenience and abundance is killing the planet. 

High spec off grid as a starting point. 

It doesn't work though does it?  If everyone tried to live of grid half the world would have nowhere to live. It is a luxury for the wealthy.  We rely completely on intensive farming to sustain us, and also employing the younger generations to farm it for us.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/07/2021 at 09:41, Blue Flu said:

Not so many alternatives as decades back. Reason cost. I recall when Denmark had an alternative vibe. before 'alternative' became just another money milking machine. Most likely unaffordable to hippy drop outs. But there was a somewhat successful eco run free spirited enterprise in the eighties,(in Denmark)  but the name escapes me. I do recall a number of attempts ended in failure with people not pulling together and personal choices getting in the way. 

i think it was called  "LETS" . I did build an Earthbrick Home there in the early 90's  ( still standing 🙂 ) ... not living there anymore , yes the place has a different vibe now ... ☹️😢

• 4 months later...
On 12/07/2021 at 12:08, Paul1Perth said:

We don't even have solar and unless they start giving it away free we won't be getting it. The more people that go "off grid" the more the electricity companies have to spend on technology to keep the grid reliable, because of the "dirty" electricity being fed in from peoples solar panels.

You can buy an awful lot of electricity for the cost of a solar installation and no worries about maintaing your own gear.

As we get older we love that we have a very good IGA across the road that has great veggies and everything else we need. Water and gas always reliable and there when you turn it on, with no worries about maintaining our own equipment. For the price and quality of veggies I couldn't be bothered to grow my own.

We do the right thing with recycling what we can and try not to use much plastic.

Our solar panels will have paid for themselves this year, after three years -so moving forward a good decision to reduce our bills. We don’t have gas and only get small bills in winter now.  Will consider a battery when it becomes economic to do so.

It does vary from state to state though.

• Like 1

My odd DS has moved back to the bush to escape the Covid. He was fortunate enough to get an inheritance which enabled him to buy a place so now he has 16 acres, 100 year old house with wood stoves, big water tanks, Creek with solar pump, mains power (an inside flush loo!) and he's very happy. The kids are doing distance Ed and he has satellite broadband for that. He's already put in a quarter acre veg plot and bought a dozen hens so he's happy as Larry.

The grass was growing - a lot - so he got out the mower but it got filled  almost immediately so then he attacked it with a whipper snipper which didn't really cut it. He found a scythe blade in the barn and sharpened it up (he's good at that), designed his own ergonomic handle and can now cut an  acre with barely raising a sweat. I think he's bought a new up to date scythe blade now but he's really happy with it. And to think, generations of my ag lab ancestors would have given their eye teeth not to have to do such back breaking work and he, with all the advantages he had had, is enjoying it! He takes the dog out and when he's done a row she sleeps on it. Horses for courses! Personally I couldn't wait to leave. 

Should also say, he shoots his own meat and had a big freezer full, also had a generator for if the power goes out. He might think of solar if he ever has enough money.

3843BFDD-D897-4262-9708-53D9C24572C1.jpeg

Edited by Quoll
  • Like 3
  • Congratulations 1

10 minutes ago, Quoll said:

My odd DS has moved back to the bush to escape the Covid. He was fortunate enough to get an inheritance which enabled him to buy a place so now he has 16 acres, 100 year old house with wood stoves, big water tanks, Creek with solar pump, mains power (an inside flush loo!) and he's very happy. The kids are doing distance Ed and he has satellite broadband for that. He's already put in a quarter acre veg plot and bought a dozen hens so he's happy as Larry.

The grass was growing - a lot - so he got out the mower but it got filled  almost immediately so then he attacked it with a whipper snipper which didn't really cut it. He found a scythe blade in the barn and sharpened it up (he's good at that), designed his own ergonomic handle and can now cut an  acre with barely raising a sweat. I think he's bought a new up to date scythe blade now but he's really happy with it. And to think, generations of my ag lab ancestors would have given their eye teeth not to have to do such back breaking work and he, with all the advantages he had had, is enjoying it! He takes the dog out and when he's done a row she sleeps on it. Horses for courses! Personally I couldn't wait to leave. 

Should also say, he shoots his own meat and had a big freezer full, also had a generator for if the power goes out. He might think of solar if he ever has enough money.

Your son should get a couple of donkeys and a few sheep to keep the grass down.  Sounds like he has found his happy place.  Good on him!  

25 minutes ago, Toots said:

Your son should get a couple of donkeys and a few sheep to keep the grass down.  Sounds like he has found his happy place.  Good on him!  

He’s not keen on livestock at the moment. His ex has goats and cows but he still likes his freedom to come and go and doesn’t want the tie if he doesn’t have to. I still think he’s daft but he’s happy and so is the dog! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Quoll said:

He’s not keen on livestock at the moment. His ex has goats and cows but he still likes his freedom to come and go and doesn’t want the tie if he doesn’t have to. I still think he’s daft but he’s happy and so is the dog! 

If he’s happy that’s all that matters 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Quoll said:

I still think he’s a legend! Good for him. Sounds amazing to me

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Our solar panels will have paid for themselves this year, after three years -so moving forward a good decision to reduce our bills. We don’t have gas and only get small bills in winter now.  Will consider a battery when it becomes economic to do so.

It does vary from state to state though.

Need to start planning our system. After a 6 month hiatus looks like our build is back on track! Heading down to check it out now. 

1 hour ago, HappyHeart said:

I still think he’s a legend! Good for him. Sounds amazing to me

The wilds of East Gippsland have a lot of opportunity for that kind of  life if that is your bag! Meanwhile, have you got your gun licence so you can go out and pot a few roos?  It certainly is a completely different way of thinking and doing that's for sure

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Quoll said:

The wilds of East Gippsland have a lot of opportunity for that kind of  life if that is your bag! Meanwhile, have you got your gun licence so you can go out and pot a few roos?  It certainly is a completely different way of thinking and doing that's for sure

I don’t think I’ll be doing any shooting. I’ll pop to the local shop. Our block is not too isolated! Off grid for wimps. Your son is doing the real deal.