Does anyone else feel homesick when...

Wanderer Returns

2 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Crikey mate, looks like he could have got in for free, he must be pissed off. 

Don't know what went wrong? They were good for half of the first half, then chasing the ball for the rest of the match. Hard to put a finger on it.

So very England though. I suspect the better team won. Italy did look a smooth outfit. Azzuri all the way.  Looks like we'll be hearing about 1966 way into the future. I congratulated some Italian shirt wearing supporters here in Leederville today. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

So very England though. I suspect the better team won. Italy did look a smooth outfit. Azzuri all the way.  Looks like we'll be hearing about 1966 way into the future. I congratulated some Italian shirt wearing supporters here in Leederville today. 

Yep, don't know why but "so very England".

• Like 1

On 08/07/2021 at 22:08, Blue Flu said:

Certainly miss the passion. Nothing like what found over there can be seen in Australia. A similar passion would have come out of Denmark if they had won. Hard not to miss.  

Watch a State of Origin game if you want to experience passion (without hooligans). Rugby League is very much my third footy code after football and Aussie Rules but Origin is my number one sporting event.  Hopefully a 3rd win tonight over Qld which will make up for losing Euro.

• Like 2

On 12/07/2021 at 19:13, Blue Flu said:

So very England - definitely - but the better team? That's highly subjective. The Italians were well-organized, skillful, and determined, as they always are, but they have a cynical side which rears it's ugly head when they're on the back foot. Lots of deliberate, niggling fouls which disrupt the flow of the game, and just under the referee's radar. Some call it gamesmanship. I call it cheating. On the night they were pretty evenly matched and 1-1 was a fair result, but when it went to penalties I'd have bet my house on Italy. The immense pressure that was on our lads - I don't think we'd have won whoever had taken the penalties. I think we've turned a corner now, and we won't be hearing about 1966 quite so often.

8 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

So very England - definitely - but the better team? That's highly subjective. The Italians were well-organized, skillful, and determined, as they always are, but they have a cynical side which rears it's ugly head when they're on the back foot. Lots of deliberate, niggling fouls which disrupt the flow of the game, and just under the referee's radar. Some call it gamesmanship. I call it cheating. On the night they were pretty evenly matched and 1-1 was a fair result, but when it went to penalties I'd have bet my house on Italy. The immense pressure that was on our lads - I don't think we'd have won whoever had taken the penalties. I think we've turned a corner now, and we won't be hearing about 1966 quite so often.

I’ll mention 1966 one more time though 😋 I was on the top deck of the no 73 bus going home from a late shift from knightsbridge , when to my tired annoyance it was held up. I had no idea why until we passed the Kensington Garden hotel, to see the England team on the balcony holding up the cup! 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, ramot said:

I’ll mention 1966 one more time though 😋 I was on the top deck of the no 73 bus going home from a late shift from knightsbridge , when to my tired annoyance it was held up. I had no idea why until we passed the Kensington Garden hotel, to see the England team on the balcony holding up the cup! 

What a great moment! I would've loved to have been there, but I was just an embryo at the time 🙂 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ramot said:

I was on school holiday staying with my aunt and uncle in Richmond, Yorkshire.  He was a racehorse trainer and that afternoon myself and a young apprentice jockey had to feed and water over 40 racehorses on our own as all the stable staff had disappeared to the pub with my uncle.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

They should keep playing rather than go to penalities after extra time.

Keep playing 10 minute halfs and first goal scored wins the match.

19 minutes ago, Parley said:

Penalties never feel right. I watched the game live till full time. It was about 5am, I heard my wife getting up for work and thought this is going to end 1-1 and go to penalties so I went to bed. I'd found the match pretty boring anyway, after about the first 20 minutes. I thought England should have had a penalty, anywhere else on the pitch Stirling would have had a foul. The Italian goal was scrappy and nothing to do with good football. All up, most unsatisfying.

Edited by Paul1Perth
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Parley said:

Thats quite a good idea but it could go on for hours - even days. A few years back they tried the 'golden goal', but it never really worked because teams were so petrified of conceding they sat in defense and took their chance at penalties. Might be better if they just drew lots at then end of extra time. That way no one player will bear the shame of a missed penalty.

18 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

Thats quite a good idea but it could go on for hours - even days. A few years back they tried the 'golden goal', but it never really worked because teams were so petrified of conceding they sat in defense and took their chance at penalties. Might be better if they just drew lots at then end of extra time. That way no one player will bear the shame of a missed penalty.

I always quite liked what the US tried a long time ago with starting at the half way line and getting a certain time to score one on one with the goalkeeper, similar to ice hockey. It requires a bit more skill and not as much luck.

In penalties, as Harry McGuire proved, you don't need to be any good at football to score 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 08/07/2021 at 19:28, Wanderer Returns said:

...the World Cup or Euros are on?!

I know it sounds sad, but I so miss the buzz when England (or Scotland, Ireland or Wales) are on a roll. I imagine the atmosphere back in Blighty is amazing at the moment. 

Oh dear, I feel a sicky on Monday morning approaching!

I totally do, and every time i miss a big premier league game as it is on in the middle of the night! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aliasp said:

I totally do, and every time i miss a big premier league game as it is on in the middle of the night! 

I record every Spurs game but I usually stay up or get up and watch them live anyway.  If I do sleep through the game I just watch the recording without knowing the score.

• Like 1