Does anyone else feel homesick when...

Wanderer Returns

4 hours ago, Parley said:

I used to love football and still have a passing interest.

But when you get used to AFL then if you try to watch soccer it is very slow to watch. Dare i say a bit boring. Too much slow ball movement and not enough scoring.

I still enjoy good tennis but mostly watch AFL.

Shame to say it but I feel that too Parley. Since I got into AFL, if I try to watch a premier league game I get bored very quickly.

I downloaded the last 2 English Euro games though and enjoyed them. Had to look up half the players to see where they played, didn't know many names at all. Good side with good organisation and enthusiasm.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Toots said:

Get well soon and don't go stir crazy in the meantime.  😄

My wife and youngest son have been really good. Son got up this morning and made me coffee then went to the restaurant across the road and bought me eggs benny with bacon while my wife sorted me out in the shower. Chairs, plastic bag. 

She's had a few people ring asking how she's going to cope😆

• Congratulations 1

20 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

Hope you make a speedy recovery, Paul - and don't break the other toe doing a celebration dance on Monday morning! 😉 

Won't be doing any dancing for a few weeks mate. We stayed up and watched Ash Barty win last night, brilliant. I'll try and get up and stream the final tonight. Hope it's a good open game and doesn't end up 0-0 and go to penalties. That never feels right.

On 09/07/2021 at 14:22, kungfustu said:

eh? never had a side good enough? from 2000 to about 2010 we had a team littered with world class players, scholes was picked out by Zidane as the best player he has played against, Lampard, Gerrard, Beckham, Cole, Ferdinand, Terry, Owen, Shearer, Rooney how long have you got.....youv'e been out out of the scene for way too long Paul to know much if anything about our England team.....having the players was never an issue.....in fact the problems back then were not only the rivalry between clubs but trying to fit all these world class players into one team.....Gareth has changed the whole feel.....there is a unity now that wasnt there 10 or 15 years ago.....no rivalry and I think this generation of young people have a different outlook to past generations and that rubs off on the pitch.....oppositions always new they could get under the skin of one or two of our players and get a reaction......that doesnt happen anymore.....Italians will be a whole different proposition and we will need to be at our absolute best and need a big big chunk of luck to come through it.....if we win you can dine out on your English heritage for a few years Paul.......................................................through gritted teeth😂

The guys I hang around with barely talk about the Euros and soccer, even the English guys, it's mostly AFL and there's been more chat about state of origin and the wallabies great win last week.

The Euros have sparked a bit of interest and if England win there'll be a few of us who'll talk about the game. The aussies won't have a clue what we're talking about though and it will all be forgotten in a couple of weeks. AFL finals will be the major thing, specially if Freo and West Coast make the 8. West Coast had better get their finger out this weekend though.

1 hour ago, Paul1Perth said:

No, it was my own fault. I knew I would have to pick my wave to go in, went in a bit too far, looked behind and there was a monster wave building that I knew I didn't have time to paddle into. I tried to catch it. Should have just bailed and swum in.

It was a joke of course…

Hope you mend quickly 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paul1Perth said:

Shame to say it but I feel that too Parley. Since I got into AFL, if I try to watch a premier league game I get bored very quickly.

I downloaded the last 2 English Euro games though and enjoyed them. Had to look up half the players to see where they played, didn't know many names at all. Good side with good organisation and enthusiasm.

I suppose it's what you're into really. I'll watch NRL/AFL if I'm with friends if they've got it on to be social, but I generally don't care who wins - apart from State of Origin night, of course 🙂

4 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

You're having a laugh, aren't you?! In games involving the oval ball they're stopping every couple of minutes for some kind of set play, and that kills the drama for me. I enjoy watching it from time to time, but there's nothing like the level of skill involved that there is in football. The only reason that football hasn't ever caught on over here is that the Aussies just aren't that good at it, and when it comes to sport, I hate to say it but Australians are only interested in what they can win at!

It’s an extremely boring game is soccer and besides, Australians just aren’t very good at diving…

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

The guys I hang around with barely talk about the Euros and soccer, even the English guys, it's mostly AFL and there's been more chat about state of origin and the wallabies great win last week.

The Euros have sparked a bit of interest and if England win there'll be a few of us who'll talk about the game. The aussies won't have a clue what we're talking about though and it will all be forgotten in a couple of weeks. AFL finals will be the major thing, specially if Freo and West Coast make the 8. West Coast had better get their finger out this weekend though.

I've always been much more interested in playing sport than watching it. Even cycling, which is my major sport. I'll watch it at the Olympics, but I don't really follow it.

For me, if I do watch sport, the enjoyment I get is from the tension and excitement of a close finish, and the skill involved to get there. You can get that in AFL, but it's rare. You usually know who has won by half time.

That's why one day cricket is better to watch than a test. You can get a close test match, but it's rare. But when you do, it's beats one day hands down.

I love a good tennis match.

Rugby I like. Well union. Never really watched league. But I'd rate it similar to AFL.

But that last England match was something else. I just wanted it to be over. So tense. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. I reckon if we have another like that against Italy it may finish a few of the old dears off.

Tension mixed with skill.

That's what it's about for me. I guess you need some sort of vested interest in it as well. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

As opposed to AFL - the only sport where they have a 'Final' and then a 'Grand Final' to make it sound more exciting 😄 

It’s far more exciting than g ball, but then  that wouldn’t be hard…

18 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

My wife and youngest son have been really good. Son got up this morning and made me coffee then went to the restaurant across the road and bought me eggs benny with bacon while my wife sorted me out in the shower. Chairs, plastic bag. 

She's had a few people ring asking how she's going to cope😆

Speedy recovery paul 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

As opposed to AFL - the only sport where they have a 'Final' and then a 'Grand Final' to make it sound more exciting 😄 

Do you mean elimination finals, semi finals, preliminary finals and then the Grand Final.

It is a very exciting 4 weeks to go from Top 8 to Champion.

I think you will find the NRL do the same thing before the Grand Final

• Like 1

17 hours ago, newjez said:

I've always been much more interested in playing sport than watching it. Even cycling, which is my major sport. I'll watch it at the Olympics, but I don't really follow it.

For me, if I do watch sport, the enjoyment I get is from the tension and excitement of a close finish, and the skill involved to get there. You can get that in AFL, but it's rare. You usually know who has won by half time.

That's why one day cricket is better to watch than a test. You can get a close test match, but it's rare. But when you do, it's beats one day hands down.

Rugby I like. Well union. Never really watched league. But I'd rate it similar to AFL.

But that last England match was something else. I just wanted it to be over. So tense. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. I reckon if we have another like that against Italy it may finish a few of the old dears off.

That's what it's about for me. I guess you need some sort of vested interest in it as well. 

Well, I managed to stay up and stream it live from Optus sports. Pretty good for England to about half way through the first half, then Italy ran it and it got boring. Having said that Stirling should have had a penalty and England could have been 2 up. I stuck it till full time and thought this is going to end up 1-1 and go to penalties. Son gave me the score this morning. Pity but no surprise having seen the game.

17 hours ago, newjez said:

Me too. I love playing and taking part in all sorts of sport. I like watching it too, which is lucky for me at the moment with the broken leg.

Flicking between Wimbledon, Tour de France and then waited for the England game last night. Olympics coming up, right time zone almost, should keep me entertained.

Spoke to a friend who I do the Adventure race with last night. It's not until November so, hopefully, have time to recover and train before it. Already wondering what I can do for exercise with a moon boot on☹

On 09/07/2021 at 16:38, Blue Flu said:

You are correct, but know English that have and claimed it a pale comparison to when England go off. I have witnessed numerous times at World Cup fixtures though. Probably the best and worst of all fans, but dull never. Australia on the other hand were dull (seen three Australia games to date)  to say the least in comparison. I know what is termed soccer here, isn't as big a deal , but same with cricket. Barmy Army out wits/sings/chants Australia on every level. 

Yes, never dull.  https://www.skynews.com.au/world-news/united-kingdom/wembley-chaos-fans-blasted-for-disgusting-abuse-storms-gates-ahead-of-euro-2020-final/news-story/ 

1 hour ago, Peach said:

Just been hearing about the England players copping loads of abuse on social media. They mentioned racial abuse too so I'm guessing a few people having a go at Sacka. Shame but that's the world we live in now, some people can't help themselves.

I would be happy if they tracked every one of the abusers down, fine them, show pictures of them in the papers and make them publically apologise.

In fact bring back the stocks.

7 hours ago, Bulya said:

It’s far more exciting than g ball, but then  that wouldn’t be hard…

But it's a bit more than a flurry of goals and brawny blokes in tight shorts. It's on and off the field. The chanting, the songs, the internationalism of the game and fun of being an away fan in another country. Football is way more dominant than AFL in all those things including skill. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peach said:

I can't read the story but know it from other sources. Not sure what your point is? England fans misbehaving? Hardly unusual among certain elements, who may well kick off at any given game.I  take it these so termed fans were attempting entry without pre purchased tickets? 

58 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

I can't read the story but know it from other sources. Not sure what your point is? England fans misbehaving? Hardly unusual among certain elements, who may well kick off at any given game.I  take it these so termed fans were attempting entry without pre purchased tickets? 

Not sure why the URL changed, here is the story: https://www.skynews.com.au/world-news/united-kingdom/wembley-chaos-fans-blasted-for-disgusting-abuse-storms-gates-ahead-of-euro-2020-final/news-story/4e032e1f82e34c24b5754159f5937fc1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue Flu said:

But it's a bit more than a flurry of goals and brawny blokes in tight shorts. It's on and off the field. The chanting, the songs, the internationalism of the game and fun of being an away fan in another country. Football is way more dominant than AFL in all those things including skill. 

Utter nonsense.  G ball is an easy game to okay finished to AFL or League for that matter.  Good for those who are on the weak side, physically.  As for the fans it’s more of the same…

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jul/12/fa-condemns-racist-abuse-england-players-social-media-euro-2020-final?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other 

Edited by Bulya
Additions

On 09/07/2021 at 14:05, Tulip1 said:

My son’s friend is going to the final.  He’s paid £1200 for the ticket!  Sounds such a lot but it will be such a memory.  You’d pay that for a holiday so why not if you can afford it I guess.

My sons mate is going to the final.  He’s paid £1200 for the ticket!

Crikey mate, looks like he could have got in for free, he must be pissed off. 

Don't know what went wrong? They were good for half of the first half, then chasing the ball for the rest of the match. Hard to put a finger on it.