Full English Fry Up

Dan Not Dale

Anyone know anywhere in Melbourne where you can get a decent what I would call a ‘full English’ breakfast? 

A workmate wants to try one.

You know, sausage, bacon, beans, toast, mushrooms, hash browns and all that. He even wants to try black pudding with it.

Edited by Dan Not Dale
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Toots said:

You could try the Duchess of Spotswood cafe.  My OH had a full English breakfast there    .........................  fried eggs, bacon, tomato, beans, sausage and black pudding with sourdough toast.  

Cheers will Google!

P.s to all- still open to to places in the east too 🙂

3 hours ago, Dan Not Dale said:

Anyone know anywhere in Melbourne where you can get a decent what I would call a ‘full English’ breakfast? 

A workmate wants to try one.

You know, sausage, bacon, beans, toast, mushrooms, hash browns and all that. He even wants to try black pudding with it.

Are hash browns English? I know a number of cafe's offer them, but traditionally it was chips. Should include tomato as well. A hot steaming tea . I know a few that try it in Perth. (even call it Great Aussie Breaky)  But none with close to the atmosphere of a traditional greasy spoon 

3 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

Are hash browns English? I know a number of cafe's offer them, but traditionally it was chips. Should include tomato as well. A hot steaming tea . I know a few that try it in Perth. (even call it Great Aussie Breaky)  But none with close to the atmosphere of a traditional greasy spoon 

No, and neither are chips part of a full English - although I'm sure plenty of greasy spoons would accommodate the request. It's either toast, fried bread or my personal favourite - oatcakes!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wanderer Returns said:

No, and neither are chips part of a full English - although I'm sure plenty of greasy spoons would accommodate the request. It's either toast, fried bread or my personal favourite - oatcakes!

Oatcakes? Which kind? Staffordshire or Scottish?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

Odd. I usually had chips in the eighties in West London. Thought hash browns as an American intrusion more often on the menu in the nineties. Fried Bread yep. Oatcakes even better.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

Odd. I usually had chips in the eighties in West London. Thought hash browns as an American intrusion more often on the menu in the nineties. Fried Bread yep. Oatcakes even better.

Chips?

Bit of bubble and squeak.

My mother's black pudding was so black even the white bits were black.

Edited by newjez

Thank God my mum never made black pudding and i have never tried it. She was Australian mind so the thought was gross to her too.

I hated liver at school too. I never understand why the English like to eat internal organs of animals like liver, kidney, brains, tripe, blood etc.

Simply disgusting to me. I would vomit all over the plate if forced to eat it.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Parley said:

Thank God my mum never made black pudding and i have never tried it. She was Australian mind so the thought was gross to her too.

I hated liver at school too. I never understand why the English like to eat internal organs of animals like liver, kidney, brains, tripe, blood etc.

Hard to understand why you'd find internal organs disgusting if you eat meat.  They're all part of an animal.   When you're eating a steak you're eating blood. 

I recall when I was in France on my work experience, our host family served us a lovely meal but I couldn't work out what it was.  One of the other girls--who had just told me how delicious it was, she had cleaned her plate--asked and was told it was "Tripe a la mode de Caen".    She went white and ran off to vomit it all up. 

I probably wouldn't have eaten it if I'd known what it was, but discovering afterwards didn't bother me at all.  

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, HappyHeart said:

Chips on a full English in the European holiday spots favoured by Poms. I always remember thinking, they don’t do that at home?🤔🤣

A lot of the cafes I frequented in London (Shepherds Bush, Bayswater, Earls Court, and others) for The Full in English, were indeed run by Greek Cypriots, Italians last one I visited back in 10 was Albanian, all with chips. Hence normal for me in that setting. But sounds like not the case all over. 

1 hour ago, Parley said:

Liver is great. Cooked well with bacon, very dark gravy onions and peas. Not an Aussie thing. Same goes for Fish Roe and  Kidney's. 

1 hour ago, Parley said:

I could never get into tripe but all the others are tasty, specially liver. My Dad used to love tripe and onions, made the house stink.

When my wife worked shift work and weekends I cooked mine and the kids meals. I thought I'd try liver for a change once and made the mistake of buying pigs liver instead of lambs. Kids have never liked liver since.😆

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

Hard to understand why you'd find internal organs disgusting if you eat meat.  They're all part of an animal.   When you're eating a steak you're eating blood. 

I recall when I was in France on my work experience, our host family served us a lovely meal but I couldn't work out what it was.  One of the other girls--who had just told me how delicious it was, she had cleaned her plate--asked and was told it was "Tripe a la mode de Caen".    She went white and ran off to vomit it all up. 

I probably wouldn't have eaten it if I'd known what it was, but discovering afterwards didn't bother me at all.  

I worked on farms in France and Belgium - mainly looking after stud horses - mares, stallions, foals and yearlings but got involved with the other farm animals too.  Blimey the French and Belgians love their meat.  I mean they would eat practically every single part of the animal.  I stuck to my small portions of chicken - breast only -  and small steaks.  Couldn't stomach anything else.  I do remember at a dinner party being presented (as a starter) with very thin small slices of toast with something spread on it.  I didn't trust the look  of it and asked what it was  .................  lambs brains.  No thank you.  

Now I don't miss meat at all.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

I could never get into tripe but all the others are tasty, specially liver. My Dad used to love tripe and onions, made the house stink.

When my wife worked shift work and weekends I cooked mine and the kids meals. I thought I'd try liver for a change once and made the mistake of buying pigs liver instead of lambs. Kids have never liked liver since.😆

My husband loves lamb.  I hate the smell of it so when I cook it, the kitchen door and windows have to be opened to get rid of the pong.  Ugh.  The kitchen extractor thingy just doesn't cut it.

Just now, Toots said:

My husband loves lamb.  I hate the smell of it so when I cook it, the kitchen door and windows have to be opened to get rid of the pong.  Ugh.  The kitchen extractor thingy just doesn't cut it.

Same, I eat very little meat and the smell can be overpowering.  Cooking salmon much the same if not worse.. 

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

The French know how to cook just about anything and make it taste good. 

We went to France the summer before Covid. It was my FIL's 89th and my wife and her Sisters had treated him to the trip. Stayed in a gite. My wifes Sister had booked it and just said it was in the South of France. I had visions of being near the coast and thought great.

It turned out to be near a town called Lisle-sur-la-sorgue, miles from the coast and out in the country. Weather was great and the gite had a "pool" just about big enough for about 3 strokes. Bit boring and too quite for me. Luckily it was near a canal so I got a lot of running in. 

We went for a meal in a local restaurant when it was his Birthday and it was one of the best meals I've ever had anywhere. Wasn't even that expensive. One of the highlights of the trip.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Toots said:

I worked on farms in France and Belgium - mainly looking after stud horses - mares, stallions, foals and yearlings but got involved with the other farm animals too.  Blimey the French and Belgians love their meat.  I mean they would eat practically every single part of the animal.  I stuck to my small portions of chicken - breast only -  and small steaks.  Couldn't stomach anything else.  I do remember at a dinner party being presented (as a starter) with very thin small slices of toast with something spread on it.  I didn't trust the look  of it and asked what it was  .................  lambs brains.  No thank you.  

Now I don't miss meat at all.

Went to the Le-Mans 24 hour race with friends when we were in our 20's. Drove all the way in a couple of rented vans. 

Typical 20 year olds, loved drinking and spent most of the time doing just that, apart from the poor designated driver. Got to Le-Mans fine, camping ground good, bars down the side of the track with a big barrel with ice and bottles of beer with all the labels soaked off. No idea what beer you were getting. Remember thinking whether the French had heard of OH and S. Looked like the bars were just run by anyone who'd fancied a crack at setting one up. Massive funfare thing in the middle of the track, bearded lady, dwarves in crazy sex shows, ferris wheel that looked like it would fall over at any minute, rickety wooden rollercoaster. 

We hadn't given a lot of thought to what we'd eat 😅 and were living on what they were flogging at the food vans. Thought the burgers and steak sandwiches were particularly good, then someone told us it was horse meat. Didn't put me off but it did a couple of my friends.

There are loads of places up and down West Coast Highway that do big brekkies. Some of them you can get the breakfast deal all day. Seems to be what most are calling full English.

Toast, eggs whichever way you want, bacon, sausage, hash browns. Even seen black pudding on the menus. The big brekky at any Dome cafe takes some beating. Used to have that at the airport dome before flying off to jobs in other states. Didn't need the airplane food then.

20 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Went to the Le-Mans 24 hour race with friends when we were in our 20's. Drove all the way in a couple of rented vans. 

Typical 20 year olds, loved drinking and spent most of the time doing just that, apart from the poor designated driver. Got to Le-Mans fine, camping ground good, bars down the side of the track with a big barrel with ice and bottles of beer with all the labels soaked off. No idea what beer you were getting. Remember thinking whether the French had heard of OH and S. Looked like the bars were just run by anyone who'd fancied a crack at setting one up. Massive funfare thing in the middle of the track, bearded lady, dwarves in crazy sex shows, ferris wheel that looked like it would fall over at any minute, rickety wooden rollercoaster. 

We hadn't given a lot of thought to what we'd eat 😅 and were living on what they were flogging at the food vans. Thought the burgers and steak sandwiches were particularly good, then someone told us it was horse meat. Didn't put me off but it did a couple of my friends.

I recall a market place in a large town in Belgium selling just about everything you can think of.  There were a few mares and foals with there hooves painted silver.  They were to be sold as meat - even the foals.  😨

• Like 1