Is it worth Shipping a BBQ to UK

Athena

Hi 

We have a BBQ that we purchased last year for around aus$3500 and are debating whether we should take it over to the UK when we move in a few weeks. It is a really good one, and pretty big. Wondering if that gas is compatible with UK / or easy to convert.

Not sure how much it will increase our shipping cost by but likely +$500. We are using shared shipping to keep costs down and leaving most of our big furniture as it was good but has aged, taking only higher value items.

Any views on if it is worth shipping or just getting a new one over in the UK?

Thanks.

7 hours ago, Athena said:

Hi 

We have a BBQ that we purchased last year for around aus$3500 and are debating whether we should take it over to the UK when we move in a few weeks. It is a really good one, and pretty big. Wondering if that gas is compatible with UK / or easy to convert.

Not sure how much it will increase our shipping cost by but likely +$500. We are using shared shipping to keep costs down and leaving most of our big furniture as it was good but has aged, taking only higher value items.

Any views on if it is worth shipping or just getting a new one over in the UK?

Thanks.

For the 3 days of summer each year?! 😄 If you already have a container booked then it's probably worth it, otherwise no.

• Haha 1

BBQ's are outdated....everyone is cooking pizza in their pizza ovens.....we got an Ooni pizza oven at the start of spring.....cooks a pizza in 60 seconds.....well thats what they say but if you budget for 2 mins you wont be far out.....they are excellent.....we hardly use the BBQ any more.....if I was you I would ditch it.....sell it.....we sold ours before we came home....TBH I was amazed we sold it.....it was a few years old and covered in grease but someone came along and gave us almost what we paid for it......If I was in the UK I would have probably thrown it in the bin.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

For the 3 days of summer each year?! 😄 If you already have a container booked then it's probably worth it, otherwise no.

I cooked a goose in mine for Xmas two years back. You can use a BBQ all year, even in the UK.

That is a lot of money for a BBQ. Even so, you can get pretty good BBQs in the UK. I would sell it if you can. Bring it if you can't.

Edited by newjez
  • Like 1

On 12/07/2021 at 07:45, Ozinoz said:

Everything here in the UK is getting more expensive by the day including outdoor stuff due to Covid, Brexit and the cost of materials. If you love it... bring it home! 😀 Being yelled at to watch the penalties now lol 

I know it's going a bit off topic but I'd be interested to see how much groceries are in the UK now. When I arrived back in Australia 18 months ago, I couldn't believe how much more expensive most food items were compared with the UK (with a few notable exceptions). For example, a little punnet of tomatoes is about $4 over here (c.£2.15), whereas back in Tescos they were 69p! Tescos fresh orange juice was about £1.20/litre, whereas you'll pay $4/litre here for an equivalent product.

I’ve found fruit and veg cheaper in England and there are lots of offers in supermarkets which reduce the shopping bill; one quiche is £3 but buy two and it’s £5 etc. Biscuits and cakes are much cheaper which is not a good thing!  I used to think cheese was more expensive here but in fact mature cheddar and Leicester are half the price they are in Oz.

• Like 1

Coles and Woolies need a good shake up here.  Unfortunately there isn't much competition especially here in Tasmania.  A Target recently closed in town and it's a good sized store.  Many of us are hoping Aldi will take the space over.  Doubtful though.  😧  I go to a farm every day to look after our horses and a goat so I get our eggs, and veggies there - far cheaper than the supermarkets.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Toots said:

Coles and Woolies need a good shake up here.  Unfortunately there isn't much competition especially here in Tasmania.  A Target recently closed in town and it's a good sized store.  Many of us are hoping Aldi will take the space over.  Doubtful though.  😧  I go to a farm every day to look after our horses and a goat so I get our eggs, and veggies there - far cheaper than the supermarkets.

Aldi and the much improved  IGA/food land stores have made a difference near me.  Prices in coles/woolies have dropped and they do more specials and offers. Prices are much more seasonal here too.

1 hour ago, rammygirl said:

Aldi and the much improved  IGA/food land stores have made a difference near me.  Prices in coles/woolies have dropped and they do more specials and offers. Prices are much more seasonal here too.

One IGA in particular here in Devonport is excellent and it is right next to another very good independent grocer/deli.  I do wish Aldi would come to Tassie.

On 18/07/2021 at 03:53, Wanderer Returns said:

I know it's going a bit off topic but I'd be interested to see how much groceries are in the UK now. When I arrived back in Australia 18 months ago, I couldn't believe how much more expensive most food items were compared with the UK (with a few notable exceptions). For example, a little punnet of tomatoes is about $4 over here (c.£2.15), whereas back in Tescos they were 69p! Tescos fresh orange juice was about £1.20/litre, whereas you'll pay $4/litre here for an equivalent product.

Brexit has made very little difference to supermarket prices, their supply chains have been prioritised.  The challenge is getting one time larger items.  For example a tree surgeon working on our street had most of his kit nicked from his van last week, and now expects a wait of weeks to be able to get hold of Stihl products from Germany, which in the past would have been in stock and easy to get hold of.

• Like 1

On 18/07/2021 at 03:53, Wanderer Returns said:

Prices are rising for various reasons but essentials including fruit and veg are staying low or discounted due to price matching with Aldi at the moment and also the supermarkets selling their own branded produce much like Coles and Woolies do and to be fair the quality of fresh produce is getting better in the pre-packed packaging recently and I have never quite got used to not being able to pick my own produce.  Petrol/Diesel prices are rising rapidly and plaster and wood are on limited sale at the builders merchants (if even available). Fortunately Amazon tends to be able to source a lot of stuff on bulk purchase and we managed to buy a  6x6 shed today at a really good price when everyone else is out of stock.

When I first came here 8 years ago Salmon was my saving grace... the price of that has gone waaay up in recent years but you can always get bargains if you go to the discounted sections, even in Waitrose 😀

• Like 1

On 19/07/2021 at 13:22, Cup Final 1973 said:

Yes, we’ve ordered a Bosch lawnmower and just received an estimated delivery date of September 16th.  Going to rethink….

We got a Flymo EasylifeGo robotic lawnmower... would never look back... it (we have called it Nemo lol) is amazing and you never have to pick up grass as it cuts so fine it mulches as it goes. The only thing you do need to do is trim the edges or just plant borders.

On 22/07/2021 at 07:01, Ozinoz said:

Prices are rising for various reasons but essentials including fruit and veg are staying low or discounted due to price matching with Aldi at the moment and also the supermarkets selling their own branded produce much like Coles and Woolies do and to be fair the quality of fresh produce is getting better in the pre-packed packaging recently and I have never quite got used to not being able to pick my own produce.  Petrol/Diesel prices are rising rapidly and plaster and wood are on limited sale at the builders merchants (if even available). Fortunately Amazon tends to be able to source a lot of stuff on bulk purchase and we managed to buy a  6x6 shed today at a really good price when everyone else is out of stock.

When I first came here 8 years ago Salmon was my saving grace... the price of that has gone waaay up in recent years but you can always get bargains if you go to the discounted sections, even in Waitrose 😀

UK is as cheap as chips, last time i bought sprouts from Tesco they were 19p a bag 2 years ago.  Prices will have to rise as they adjust to the new labour and overheads reality, but so should wages if the workers hold out against minimum wages jobs that are unfilled.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Robert Dyson said:

UK is as cheap as chips, last time i bought sprouts from Tesco they were 19p a bag 2 years ago.  Prices will have to rise as they adjust to the new labour and overheads reality, but so should wages if the workers hold out against minimum wages jobs that are unfilled.

You've hit the nail on the head. The UK is as cheap as chips because of slave-labour wages, which haven't kept up with the cost of living and are never likely to go up significantly - at least while the Tories are in power. Low-skilled UK workers have been paid peanuts for decades and stripped of their employments rights, pensions, and other benefits because there's always been someone who'd replace them. The glut of cheap labour might eventually dry up with the exit from the EU, but there's enough poor people there already, willing to work for peanuts. My wife was on 8 quid an hour for 12-hour night shifts at an old folks home. Now she makes double that here in Australia, not to mention 9.5% super contributions and more social hours. Brits will always been exploited because they'll never drop that stiff upper lip, which ironically has become their Achilles heel.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 21/07/2021 at 22:05, Ozinoz said:

We got a Flymo EasylifeGo robotic lawnmower... would never look back... it (we have called it Nemo lol) is amazing and you never have to pick up grass as it cuts so fine it mulches as it goes. The only thing you do need to do is trim the edges or just plant borders.

That looks fantastic. Do you empty it?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Wanderer Returns said:

You've hit the nail on the head. The UK is as cheap as chips because of slave-labour wages, which haven't kept up with the cost of living and are never likely to go up significantly - at least while the Tories are in power. 

They get what they vote for, and they'd vote for it again tomorrow.  Feel very sorry for the way they've been led by the nose and set up for what's going on now, all very predictable.  I just can't see it getting better unfortunately, it's easier to keep fooling someone than to convince them they've been fooled. C'est la vie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert Dyson said:

They get what they vote for, and they'd vote for it again tomorrow.  Feel very sorry for the way they've been led by the nose and set up for what's going on now, all very predictable.  I just can't see it getting better unfortunately, it's easier to keep fooling someone than to convince them they've been fooled. C'est la vie.

True, although they never seem to have much of a choice - Johnson or Corbyn, for God's sake?! For the first time ever I voted for the Green Party!

On 25/07/2021 at 09:20, Robert Dyson said:

For many years I have lived in the UK thinking Australia was miles ahead... now I am glad I am living in the UK and my husband's family here have all been fully vaccinated. This is no longer a political debate... this is about saving lives. Strangely enough in my workplace the only people that have refused the vaccination are from the EU. No one has been fooled... everyone has the choice to vote and the choice to be vaccinated. You can walk into a vaccination centre or testing centre the same day in the UK and order testing kits online for next day delivery for free. I also voted Green for the election just because I believe the bigger picture matters but I am not unhappy now with the way the UK has dealt with Covid with multiple very complex matters.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ozinoz said:

For many years I have lived in the UK thinking Australia was miles ahead... now I am glad I am living in the UK and my husband's family here have all been fully vaccinated. This is no longer a political debate... this is about saving lives. Strangely enough in my workplace the only people that have refused the vaccination are from the EU. No one has been fooled... everyone has the choice to vote and the choice to be vaccinated. You can walk into a vaccination centre or testing centre the same day in the UK and order testing kits online for next day delivery for free. I also voted Green for the election just because I believe the bigger picture matters but I am not unhappy now with the way the UK has dealt with Covid with multiple very complex matters.

At least if you lived in Australia you can vote for the green party and still make things count. Not sure how that is relevant to BBQs though.

• Like 1