Jump to content
Daveydrz

French bulldog flying form UK IM terrified

Recommended Posts

Hi all 

Im planning to bring my dog to Australia winter next year, im just so stressed about it I already can't sleep at night , I read a lot of news of frenchies dying etc and it's stressing me out 😩 is there anywhere an official data that's show how many dogs are flying annually and what is the procentage of fatalities ? 

Im doing my research early to prepare my dog and myself , anyone know how does the flight look ? What is the route ? Is it completely dark in the cargo ? Anyone have an experience in flying a Frenchie ? 

Im even thinking is there a camera in the market that I can watch my dog while he's in the plane ?

 

Thanks for help

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's hard to get an accurate picture of the number of fatalities, because many airlines won't even accept short-faced dogs due to the bad publicity.   However, the ban is a pretty extreme reaction to a very small risk.  It's true that they are more susceptible to problems, but the overall risk is very low to begin with.  Before Covid, even the "worst performing" airline had less than 4 deaths per 10,000 pets transported. 

Consult your vet to see what they think about your dog's risk.  A Frenchie isn't as short-faced as some breeds.  I certainly wouldn't be installing a camera - the fact is that your dog is going to be stressed during the experience, and what are you going to do if you're watching and can see he's getting distressed?  They're not going to send a steward down to check on him, or land the plane!  Probably much better to be left in ignorance.   


Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband granted UK spouse visa, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Speak to a good pet shipper such as Pet Air

I second this and can thoroughly recommend Petair we just used them to fly our fur kid (not a snub nose breed though) but Annabelle was fantastic. They are very good at putting your mind at rest (well as much as you can relax about your dog flying so far)

There is a 'flying your pets to australia' fb group too if I am allowed to post that info which has other people in the same boat as you @Daveydrz they share good info.

Edited by Heading4Tassie
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Heading4Tassie said:

I second this and can thoroughly recommend Petair we just used them to fly our fur kid (not a snub nose breed though) but Annabelle was fantastic. They are very good at putting your mind at rest (well as much as you can relax about your dog flying so far)

There is a 'flying your pets to australia' fb group too if I am allowed to post that info which has other people in the same boat as you @Daveydrz they share good info.

This is the company we will be using I haven't contacted them yet as it's a bit early, but decision have been made about relocating, but what I read on the internet it seems so dangerous im panicking already 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Daveydrz said:

This is the company we will be using I haven't contacted them yet as it's a bit early, but decision have been made about relocating, but what I read on the internet it seems so dangerous im panicking already 

Remember that people who move their pets with no issues at all rarely post online about it.

  • Like 1

PR (100) moved to Perth September 2021

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/07/2021 at 14:17, Daveydrz said:

This is the company we will be using I haven't contacted them yet as it's a bit early, but decision have been made about relocating, but what I read on the internet it seems so dangerous im panicking already  

How long is it until you go? Quarantine for pets is booked out months in advance so it's good to get in early. There's also a surprising amount of stuff to be done before you can even book quarantine. The rabies vaccine needs to be proven to be working -and- needs at least 180 days (at least for cats) in the system after their labs get to the lab which is another 6 weeks ish on top of the timescale. (This is going to Australia)

Pet Air have been great for us so far with our 2 cats.

Edit: removed a comment about direction of travel as I got it wrong.

Edit 2: typo correction

Edited by Nyxkat
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Nyxkat said:

How long is it until you go? Quarantine for pets is booked out months in advance so it's good to get in early. There's also a surprising amount of stuff to be done before you can even book quarantine. The rabies vaccine needs to be proven to be working -and- needs at least 180 days (at least for cats) in the system after their labs get to the lab which is another 6 weeks ish on top of the timescale. (This is going to Australia)

Pet Air have been great for us so far with our 2 cats.

Edit: removed a comment about direction of travel as I got it wrong.

Edit 2: typo correction

We planning to go as soon as borders open hopefully somewhere next year we will be sending our cat and a dog yes I'm sure about the process and my dog will be checked by vet pior flight as well to check if he is in good health etc... I have joined group in FB very helpful aswell and chilled me a little bit, but still very stressful situation.

 

Did your cats been well after they arrived ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/07/2021 at 15:29, Daveydrz said:

Hi all 

Im planning to bring my dog to Australia winter next year, im just so stressed about it I already can't sleep at night , I read a lot of news of frenchies dying etc and it's stressing me out 😩 is there anywhere an official data that's show how many dogs are flying annually and what is the procentage of fatalities ? 

Im doing my research early to prepare my dog and myself , anyone know how does the flight look ? What is the route ? Is it completely dark in the cargo ? Anyone have an experience in flying a Frenchie ? 

Im even thinking is there a camera in the market that I can watch my dog while he's in the plane ?

 

Thanks for help

 

 

 

We flew our Shar Pei a brachalyptic breed with no problems ( except our UK vet stuffed up on the last blood test ! Luckily we had a fantastic company moving him who sorted it all out We flew him mid May to avoid the Northern hemisphere  heat As it was a direct flight via Dubai It’s never to early to start the process as the rabies shots need to be verified for 6 months prior to shipping In all honesty I would leave it in the hands of an experienced company though to save the worry of things going wrong 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×