Flights booked - quick Qus

LandM

Just now, Jon the Hat said:

Yes!  Fingers crossed.

Everything crossed for you. On our flights (both of them) as there were only 30ish people on the flight and 95% of them were going on to Adelaide we were allowed to lie all over the seats which made it more bearable and I'm 6ft 5. Food was good but we took snacks for the kids (pringles, cheese biscuits) which was a godsend as on the first flight we had breakfast and main meal and this was the same for the second flight, exactly the same food, so a pringle and cracker interlude went down well with the kids.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ben P said:

Congratulations @BeauVinyl bet your over the moon! I hear Singapore are the ones to go with! We are not with them unfortunately but I hope to arrive all the same! Thanks for the update @Jon the Hat

Good luck to you @Ben P. We are over the moon but still apprehensive, we leave quarantine where we have been fed, felt safe and been entertained to the outside world, the 'real' world and it's a bit scary. I'll keep updates coming in when I have things to say. All the best.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@Craig Colas I feel your worry! There are obviously people flying but it’s the horror stories of the bumps and cancellations that stick in your mind. I think the DEFRA flights might be the best solution sometimes but they again can’t be easy to book not to mention budget for as you’ve already paid for the commercial flights 

@Ben P I have signed up for them and put our exemptions on etc. But haven't heard anything. Although I suspect that's because I said we was looking to fly in the last quarter. Your right, I wouldn't mind booking more flights if I knew how long it would be before I was refunded. But looking at commercial flights now and affordability, probably looking at January. We are trying to fly to Perth and we booked after the new caps were introduced so just praying that helps really.

@Craig Colas  @Ben P Regarding our flight, we had a small issue with the flight around 6 weeks before we left, Singapore Airways changed our Singapore to Adelaide flight meaning we couldn't make the connection from London. We flew with the Flight Center agency and they were fantastic so after 5 days of waiting we were moved a day forward which didn't mess us up much and then hoped the flight and our seats wouldn't move, and they didn't. I did speak to a family at Heathrow and they had said their flights had been cancelled 4 times but that was in May/June time, after then it was pretty secure. 

The news from over here is that people are incredibly upset about the flight situation and are putting pressure on the government and state premiers (SP) to lift the ban so the Govt. and SP's have said that when Australia are around 70 - 80% vaccinated they'll open up the country meaning flight caps and internal / external flight restrictions will ease / drop. Looking at that timeline, last night on South Australian news it was reported that this could be achieved November / December time so hopefully this should make flying into the country a little easier and I hope this gives you both some reassurance albeit minimal.

• Like 2

Thanks @BeauVinyl , it’s no use worrying but it can’t be helped I guess! I had flights cancelled in June 2020 and July 2021 so I hope it’s 3rd time lucky for us. I’m hoping our late December flight means Australia’s road to vaccination and subsequent border openings will be well and truly in the latter stages by then!

Edited by Ben P
  • Like 1

@BeauVinyl Thanks. I have read some articles as well, indicating November and December as potentially becoming easier. Also Qantas said they may resume flying in December although I am not sure how likely that will be. But as Ben says there is not too much you can do about it, just try your best and what will be will be. Fortunate atm to be staying back with my parents with no expense so even though it is a little crowded we are now in a position where we have no outgoings and still hanging on to jobs up until the point we leave which is reassuring. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Craig Colas said:

Our Singapore flights are on the 8th of November and I'm really nervous as well. If we don't get on them, I can't see us getting there until next year. Which is a daunting thought when you are back at your parents with two toddlers! 🤣 

We are booked with Singapore to MEL for 4th November and we also booked with Quantas for January flying into Perth just incase we cannot take the November flight.  You cannot book more than one flight with Singapore so we took the Qantas option because once it starts opening up towards the end of the year I think the next flight we would get is probably well after March/April next year!

Have you checked the seats on your flight for the 8th? We had a look and currently only 9 seats confirmed.. Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing though, Lol!!

3 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

We are booked with Singapore to MEL for 4th November and we also booked with Quantas for January flying into Perth just incase we cannot take the November flight.  You cannot book more than one flight with Singapore so we took the Qantas option because once it starts opening up towards the end of the year I think the next flight we would get is probably well after March/April next year!

Have you checked the seats on your flight for the 8th? We had a look and currently only 9 seats confirmed.. Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing though, Lol!!

Hi @Captain Ron regarding Quantas, their CEO has come out today and put pressure on the government regarding national and international flights, saying that they are looking to run 75% of flights from the beginning of December as this was mentioned in the Aus parliament a few months ago before I got here so that's positive for everyone. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

I might have a look at booking a Qantas flight as a back up as well then. What is their cancellation policy like? How do you check how many are confirmed? It says mine are confirmed but cannot seem to find anywhere to show total amount. TIA.

3 minutes ago, Craig Colas said:

I might have a look at booking a Qantas flight as a back up as well then. What is their cancellation policy like? How do you check how many are confirmed? It says mine are confirmed but cannot seem to find anywhere to show total amount. TIA.

We booked for 6th January with Quantas (as back up) , for 5 of us, £4600 - we chose the flexi option i think it is called where its fully refunded.  The other option was i think £1000 cheaper BUT any new changes thereafter were £75 per person plus £500/£600 to cancel so we just went with the more expensive option so if our November flight goes ahead we can be fully refunded with Quantas.  (They do give you the info on their website with the two different booking options)

Yes, you will be confirmed on your Singapore flight but you can check the actuals seats booked of ALL passengers, here is the link - https://www.expertflyer.com/

PS - we also registered with DFAT but also only for the 4th quarter so we had to make a call on the January flight before they all go!! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

We booked for 6th January with Quantas (as back up) , for 5 of us, £4600 - we chose the flexi option i think it is called where its fully refunded.  The other option was i think £1000 cheaper BUT any new changes thereafter were £75 per person plus £500/£600 to cancel so we just went with the more expensive option so if our November flight goes ahead we can be fully refunded with Quantas.  (They do give you the info on their website with the two different booking options)

Yes, you will be confirmed on your Singapore flight but you can check the actuals seats booked of ALL passengers, here is the link - https://www.expertflyer.com/

PS - we also registered with DFAT but also only for the 4th quarter so we had to make a call on the January flight before they all go!! 

Regarding our Singapore flights, we downloaded the Singapore Airlines app and signed into it. I checked the flight statue 6/7 times a day and found the app pretty good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BeauVinyl said:

Hi @Captain Ron regarding Quantas, their CEO has come out today and put pressure on the government regarding national and international flights, saying that they are looking to run 75% of flights from the beginning of December as this was mentioned in the Aus parliament a few months ago before I got here so that's positive for everyone. 

They have however also said that their non-stop flights from London are going to operate out of Darwin not Perth due to the WA government saying they are going to keep the border closed even when vaccinations hit 80%.

• Like 1