emanyalpsid

National insurance contributions while live in oz

Does anyone know if an Aus resident can be employed by a UK company, pay UK National insurance and receive a credit towards UK pension entitlement for that year while living in aus

I’m afraid I can’t answer that, but I do know that you can voluntarily keep up your NI contributions while overseas. It was something like £12 a week when I last looked, about 10 years ago!

You can make voluntary NI payments. But if you are living permanently in Australia they will need to pay you via an Aus payroll with associated Aus taxes and super as far as I know.  They need to check the r equirements. 

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

8 hours ago, emanyalpsid said:

Does anyone know if an Aus resident can be employed by a UK company, pay UK National insurance and receive a credit towards UK pension entitlement for that year while living in aus

If you are going to be a full-time employee, then I think they will need to employ you under Australian conditions (Australian payroll, super etc).   However, if you are not working for them full-time, you can set yourself up as your own business (called  a Sole Trader in Australia)  and then you can work for them as a contractor.  You will invoice them monthly and charge an hourly rate.   

Note that if you are a contractor, the company does not pay you any benefits, holiday pay, sick leave, private pension or NI, because you are not an employee.  You are paid for the hours you work and nothing more. It will be up to you to pay your own voluntary NI contributions.

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke