28M USA to AUS (Military Lateral Transfer)

expathopeful

I have looked a little into the Lateral transfer process to join the RAAF. I only obtained what information I have found online. I see that I could possibly do it, my job is working on C130s in America (Electrical/Environmental Systems). I can get my FAA A&P license through the US Air Force (I am Air National Guard) but I know its completely different than what Australia uses. 

I'm currently studying Criminal Justice at University, possibly become an Investigator at the prisons here or an insurance investigator, definitely not looking to be a Police Officer in America anyway, but would be open to see about it in Australia, if that opens a door for me. 

Looking for maybe someone who has become an Australian citizen through the lateral transfer military process, or maybe giving me ideas as to other options? 

If I can get some type of Visa with a Crim. Justice degree or with knowledge and possibly my A&P to work on aircraft? 

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

For most visas, you need both qualifications and experience in the occupation.   Also, any experience gained before you were qualified doesn't count.  So, for instance, if you get your Criminal Justice qualification and then want to use that to apply for a visa, you would have to work in that field for a few years before you could even apply for a visa.   And the problem with that is, no one can predict whether the visa you're working towards will still be available in three or four years' time, because they are cutting the list down every year. 

For that reason, I'd say work with what you have already.  It costs nothing to submit an enquiry:

https://airforce.defencejobs.gov.au/joining/can-I-join/citizenship/overseas-applicants

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

For most visas, you need both qualifications and experience in the occupation.   Also, any experience gained before you were qualified doesn't count.  So, for instance, if you get your Criminal Justice qualification and then want to use that to apply for a visa, you would have to work in that field for a few years before you could even apply for a visa.   And the problem with that is, no one can predict whether the visa you're working towards will still be available in three or four years' time, because they are cutting the list down every year. 

For that reason, I'd say work with what you have already.  It costs nothing to submit an enquiry:

https://airforce.defencejobs.gov.au/joining/can-I-join/citizenship/overseas-applicants

Thanks for the response. I emailed them and hope to hear back soon. Hoping I will be qualified. In the States we break down aircraft maintenance to very specific jobs. Ex. I work electrical and environmental, so landing gear, anything electrical, pressurization, oxygen, etc. However, from what I found on the RAAF website it seems you train your aircraft mechanics to be just like civilian ones, they work on everything. So it does appear I'd need some type of additional training on that.

1 hour ago, expathopeful said:

Thanks for the response. I emailed them and hope to hear back soon. Hoping I will be qualified. In the States we break down aircraft maintenance to very specific jobs. Ex. I work electrical and environmental, so landing gear, anything electrical, pressurization, oxygen, etc. However, from what I found on the RAAF website it seems you train your aircraft mechanics to be just like civilian ones, they work on everything. So it does appear I'd need some type of additional training on that.

Correct.  

• 2 weeks later...

We came over on the Lateral Transfer Scheme back in 2017.  My husband was in the British Army.  There is a Facebook page for Laterals moving over https://www.facebook.com/groups/112038224332

You'll need to answer a few questions to join as as it's a private group and then you'll get all the info you'll need