Taking dog to Oz?

JSummer

Just now, Marisawright said:

If he's coped with kennels then I don't think you need worry.   I don't know if it's an option to buy your own crate and get him used to it for some weeks or months before the flight?  I know a couple who travel a lot, their dog's bed is in the crate and that's where she sleeps every night, so that if they need to go travelling, she doesn't see anything odd or scary about getting into it,  it feels like her safe place.  However if you're thinking of doing that, talk to your pet shipping company first. 

Emotional support animals are allowed on planes in the USA   ...............  maybe elsewhere too.  Must cost a fair bit to transport them this way.  I can understand a small dog being an emotional support - not sure about a pony.  I've even seen a pig as well.  Takes all sorts I suppose.

companion animals.jpg

companion animals1.jpg

companion animals2.jpg

28 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

I hear there’s plans to allow dogs on planes in the cabin? Can only be a good thing but limited to small dogs that can fit under a seat in a crate I believe? 

Sounds like a lovely idea but it would make life very difficult for people who are allergic to animals.  If I was in a seat next to a cat on a 20-hour flight, I'd be in real trouble.  Once, when I was staying with a friend, her cat had got into my bedroom and fallen asleep under the bed. I woke up at 3am and had to be rushed to hospital in an ambulance.  

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

It’s not just domestic flights. The wait time for the dogs (and cats) involves often many hours in cold and draughty (or hot) cargo sheds awaiting loading. The staff have varying degrees of animal experience. Standard plastic animal crates can be destroyed by a determined animal. Dogs can dig their way out of garages and through walls when distressed. 

I hear there’s plans to allow dogs on planes in the cabin? Can only be a good thing but limited to small dogs that can fit under a seat in a crate I believe? 

If an animal could destroy the crates we were given, it would be a very rare occasion and a dog I would be terrified to meet 😁

I read about the plans to permit airlines to allow dogs in the cabin, I wonder if it will be limited to those that can fit in a carry on size 'bag'? Or if any airlines will actually decide to proceed with that option

49 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I read about the plans to permit airlines to allow dogs in the cabin, I wonder if it will be limited to those that can fit in a carry on size 'bag'? Or if any airlines will actually decide to proceed with that option

When you see the size and types of animals they allow on board in the US, I'd say anything is possible. I'd say it depends on how other passengers react.   There have already been moves in the US to cut back on the size and type of animals allowed

https://www.airlines.org/service-animals/

I looked at that picture of the miniature horse and thought, I do hope it was house trained and that it was a short flight!

• Haha 1