and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest TerAus

Hi from North Lakes!

Guest TerAus

Hi everyone,

I arrived in Brisbane 6 weeks ago along with OH (bricklayer) Daughter (15) and son (13). I havnt found that I have fallen in love with what I have seen as much as some people but I guess it is early days. I find I have felt really guilty for the kids they do miss their friends and they are not use to spending all their spare time with us, they have started school but you cant expect them to form any sort of friendships that can compare with what they had in the UK. Saying that they seem to cope with it better than I do, OH loves it likes the work etc.

I cant say I feel I live in little britain either not met anyone!!! I think because the kids are that bit older I dont have to do the school run so meeting anyone is quite hard, im also not working yet but do have a couple of interviews lined up, so hopefully when working it might improve. All it seems do of done is rain lately so that dosnt help.

i guess i just need a little reassurance that feeling as I do is normal or have I made a big mistake?!

Jo:huh:

Hi

Our friends live in North Lakes and if you PM me i will ask them if its akay to pass on their details maybe you and Karen could meet up for a coffee. Their 2 eldest are at North Lakes school I think the eldest is 12 and then the other is 9. They havent been there long either - about 2 months.

You will meet loads of Poms in the shopping centre - i think half the staff are Pommies!!

Georgie

Guest sheena
Hi everyone,

I arrived in Brisbane 6 weeks ago along with OH (bricklayer) Daughter (15) and son (13). I havnt found that I have fallen in love with what I have seen as much as some people but I guess it is early days. I find I have felt really guilty for the kids they do miss their friends and they are not use to spending all their spare time with us, they have started school but you cant expect them to form any sort of friendships that can compare with what they had in the UK. Saying that they seem to cope with it better than I do, OH loves it likes the work etc.

I cant say I feel I live in little britain either not met anyone!!! I think because the kids are that bit older I dont have to do the school run so meeting anyone is quite hard, im also not working yet but do have a couple of interviews lined up, so hopefully when working it might improve. All it seems do of done is rain lately so that dosnt help.

i guess i just need a little reassurance that feeling as I do is normal or have I made a big mistake?!

hiya, it is still very early days, and you proberbly have not really stopped since you got there? i was the same, we have been here 4 months now, and it just seemed to be one thing after another, hubby started work, had to find somewhere to live, kids into school etc, and your last on the list!! but it will come with time, honest, i have made some really good friends now, kids have made friends, and they are just as good as their old friends!

i am a bit of a distance from you but your more than welcome to come here for the day, for some coffee's and a good old chin wag!

sheena :wubclub:

Hi Jo

Sorry to hear your not very happy. The first month of landing in Oz is usually very busy and you don't have time to breathe let alone deal with any emotions. Then once the kids start school and the hubby gets a job you have time to dwell and realise how much you miss giving your friend a call down the road and meeting her for coffee. It really is early days and I am sure soon things will start to improve. My eldest son was terrible as he didn't want to leave the UK but he made friends within 3 months and he has more friends here than he ever did back in the UK and believe me this is a big thing for him as he is very shy and reserve, just like his mum, lol. The children will make friends, get them to invite people over for tea, this is a great way to meet the parents and form a friendship with them.

You could always take up a volunteer position somewhere this will also help you meet people.

Unfortunately I am down in Melbourne so can't meet you for a coffee but please feel free to email me anytime if you want to chat.:wubclub:

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Guest Jaynie

Hi Jo,

Welcome to PIO, it is hard when you have finally got all the bits sorted eg somewhere to live, kids in school hubbie in a job, no doubt when you get yourself a little job soon you will feel much better honestly.

I used to spend my days writing letter to friends and family but that was in the day before emails etc., but once you get out there and make friends it will be different.

Onecrankypom (Chris) lives in Northlakes, maybe you could PM him and meet up with him and his other half, no doubt he will post on here to you anyway, he's been there about the same length of time as you.

Good luck and keep checking in on here, we are a friendly bunch!

Evening and welcome to Northlakes i been here 8 weeks today seems like forever. As you can tell not like any town back home just missing the High Street as we know it. But im informed that a cinema is being built in phase 5/6 of North Lakes in the future si it always growing

Hi everyone,

JO i been here 8 weeks and have just started a temp assignment in Toowong so I know what you are going through but Im assuared things do get better i nearly went home after 3 weeks but people on here asssuared me things do get better even through my otherhalf is a local to Brisbane she been a big help to me being there as for knowing people i only know her friends and the inlaws and im like you not really knowing other people who i can say theyh are my set of friends. Think positive:yes:

Hi Jo and welcome to PIO, i'm sure you will be fine in another month or two, my friend went though the same emotions as you but 12 months on, she is now very happy, and settled in Melbourne.

Hope everything turns out ok for you

Tania X

Is looking forward to the future and all what it holds:biggrin:

Hi Jo,

I feel similar to you. Moved to North Lakes couple of weeks ago & the kids just started school today. That took some sorting, you cant seem to rush anyone! But they had been hanging around us too long & need to make some friends. I just hope that they do! I have boys aged 12 and 10 & a girl aged 7. hubby is a brickie. We would all like some company so let me know if you fancy it or maybe just us for a coffee next week when they are at work/school. I dont think its little britain either, hardly heard any pom accents!

Sue

Hi

We are moving to North lakes as soon as we tie everything up in the UK. We have 4 children aged 14, 12, 3 and 18 months, all boys. I am worried that they will find it hard to settle and gulity as we are taking them away from everything they know. What school are your children going to? I am not going to work at first so am worried about meeting people. I would be interested in keeping in contact with you to see how you get on if that is ok?

hi, im 13, my family are thinking about moving to north lakes next year depending on how long the visa and stuff will take,any advice on what the school and stuff are like? i have a 4 year old sister too, im a bit nervous on moving to new schools and things, so it would be a big help if i got to know the area more

thank you

Brit<3:biggrin:

I wouldn't worry about moving schools too much. Lot's of children change schools here. Some because they move in from abroad, and some because the family has moved interstate, or just from a different part of the city. So you won't be the only new one on the first day. Even in my son's class, there is normally 1 new student per term.

This means that both the teachers and other students are used to comings and goings. And you've got the advantage that you already speak the language, which not all kids have. Obviously it takes a few weeks to find out how things work here, but I've not heard of any families that had problems with schools as such.

North Lakes is known as a favorite for families, because the houses have gardens and garages. The houses and streets are based upon templates from the builders, so they tend to look similar. Some people don't like this.

The nice things about NL is that it's got a big shopping centre, and other facilities too. And they're building more because NL is getting bigger. And the other nice thing is that it's fairly close to northern beaches, like Bribie Island and Caloundra. Surprisingly, there aren't many lakes there, so if you want to go canoeing you'll have to go to Kurwongbah, which also isn't very far away.

One correction..........canoes aren't allowed on Kurwongbah. Some folk ignore the signs but if a ranger catches you, there is a hefty fine and he can impound your vessel. Lake Samsonvale (North Pine Dam), next to Kurwongbah, is open to canoeists/kayakers and boats with electric motors, if you join PRFMA (limited membership of 400)

See my art here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.smugmug.com/

Copies free to PIO members. PM me for details.

One correction..........canoes aren't allowed on Kurwongbah.

But isn't there a rowing club on Kurwongbah?? What's the distinction between paddling forwards and rowing backward?

Anyway, the point being that despite the name, North Lakes has limited outdoor aquatic sports possibilities. (But it will get an Ikea??!!??)

But isn't there a rowing club on Kurwongbah?? What's the distinction between paddling forwards and rowing backward?

Anyway, the point being that despite the name, North Lakes has limited outdoor aquatic sports possibilities. (But it will get an Ikea??!!??)

Yes mate, absolute madness..............they even have a ski club on there.................they harp on about the environment and then ban kayaks but let motor vessels on there?? I gues some of the local councillors must have ski boats? :rolleyes: I wouldn't mind so much but some of the membership money from PRFMA is spent on stocking fish into kurwongbah and we can't even get to fish for 'em as the banks are too overgrown with lilly pads.

See my art here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.smugmug.com/

Copies free to PIO members. PM me for details.

Hi all

Yes, it can be hard to begin with - we wanted something different and exciting and sunny and then it wasn't the same as we were used to! How rude! Yes, it's normal because it is starting again and it takes time to find out what works, where things are and how things operate.

If OH has work, well done! What schools are the children in?

Friend Sue (who arrived Sept 2012) and I arrange 3 monthly 'migrant get togethers' and the next is Sat 27 July at the Parkside BBQ/Play area, Aurora Boulevard (behind Bounty Boulevard School) North Lakes. 2pm til you have to go (but it'll be dark by 5pm and most people go by then, even though there are lights) and byo (bring your own) everything: chairs, drink, eats. Free bbq on site.

If you'd like to meet before then, please PM me.

Pat

27 July and 19 Oct have been & gone and next get-together will be Sat 18 January 2.30 til dark (because people seem to be happy to go then). Parkside Park/bbq area, Aurora Boulevard (behind Bounty Boulevard School). BYO food, drinks, chairs. There's a free electric bbq, children's play area & toilets.

Edited by PatW