Jobs as Electrician

I’m a 25 year old electrician and looking into going to Australia to work. I’m just looking for any help and advice about what I need to do to meet any requirements such as skill assessments or courses I would need to have completed before applying for a VISA etc also what type of visa I would have to apply for and the process involved with it. I’m looking at going over firstly to travel to different cities for a month to get a feel of each place and where I would want to settle. If anyone who has done something similar and could tell me how they contacted employers, is there any specific areas require more electricians etc also any advice about the kind of lifestyle over in Australia and cost of living with regards to an electrician salary about where are the most and least expensive cities, what properties could I expect to move to etc just any advice in general which would help me get a better idea of everything. Any help or advice is much appreciated. Thanks 

This is a very big question. 

Right now your only option would be to apply for a permanent visa, but they are very difficult to get and even if you do qualify to get one, it takes over a year.

Once the borders open next year, you’ll be able to apply for a Working Holiday Visa.  It only takes a couple of weeks to be approved. That would let you live and work in Australia for two years and possibly find an employer who will sponsor you to stay longer term

Edited by Marisawright

8 hours ago, Kev Mckeown said:

also any advice about the kind of lifestyle over in Australia and cost of living with regards to an electrician salary 

Australia is so large and diverse that it's impossible to answer that in general terms.  Lifestyle, salary and living expenses for  an electrician in Melbourne, for example, would be very different to those working on a mine site in northwestern Western Australia.

A Working Holiday visa  would be the ideal one to check out this diversity for yourself.

Hi I’m an Electrician based in Adelaide. It’s a good idea to have a look around and get a feel for where you would like to end up. Like the previous post a WHV would be a good option. You could get work through agencies so you can have a look at how things are done here. You could only be classed as a TA as you wouldn’t have a license. In South Australia and Northern Territory I know that working in construction counts towards your hours for getting the following years visa. A good option for a Visa would be the 189. I come over on this and you are free to live and work anywhere in Aus. If you are seriously thinking about it and something you would like to do you will need to get an offshore technical skills record. This is an assessment on your skills and you would need this in place if you wanted to transfer your skills over. This is done by doing a stint in college to get up to speed with Aus regs. You will do a practical and paper assessment to qualify and once you have documented a certain amount of hours you will be able to apply for a full license. In Adelaide the demand for skilled trades is still high and I have never had any issue finding work. I can’t comment on the rest of the country. As a TA you will be looking at around $24-28 per hour and once you qualify you will be looking around $32-40 per hour depending on what area you want to work in. I have mainly worked in the commercial sector and have stayed away from the domestic side of things. Hope this helps a little 

• Like 1

My eldest is a sparkie. Did his apprenticeship here, as soon as he finished school. He had a couple of jobs for Perth companies but quickly moved to FIFO work as the money is very good.

He spent nearly all his 20's working for a few months saving up then going off travelling. He never seemed to struggle getting work when he came back, me and his Mum used to worry but he's never been out of work.

He went to live in Whistler, Canada for a couple of years and worked in a pub when he first got there. Wasn't long before he scored an electrical job there though that was better paid.

He's back here again now, working 3 weeks on 3 weeks off on an oil rig. Really good money again.

I've seen lots of tv programs and newspaper articles about skills shortages in the oil, gas and mining industries. Most jobs are FIFO and well paid. You would have to do local quals if you came, each state is different too. My son has done course after course, high ropes, instrumentation, OH&S, even did a snake handling course that one company sent him on. 

If you can get in there's no shortage of well paid work in WA.