Options for Parent holding 870

Indikaya

Hi All, I'm lost for options and seeking your kind ideas. 

Both myself and my sister are Australian Citizens. (We both are living in Sydney with our families). Our mother is currently in Australia on a 870 visa. We lost our father few years ago, and that means we have no real close family outside Australia. I tried to apply for Contributory visa (subclass 143) and found out there's a condition not to have a Sponsored Parent (Subclass 870) visa. Which puts me in a really bad position as she has 3 more years to go with the 870 visa. And pretty much all the parent visa classes have this condition of not having a 870 visa. 

She's 62 at the moment and can you please suggest me the options I have. Thanks guys!

7 hours ago, Indikaya said:

Hi All, I'm lost for options and seeking your kind ideas. 

Both myself and my sister are Australian Citizens. (We both are living in Sydney with our families). Our mother is currently in Australia on a 870 visa. We lost our father few years ago, and that means we have no real close family outside Australia. I tried to apply for Contributory visa (subclass 143) and found out there's a condition not to have a Sponsored Parent (Subclass 870) visa. Which puts me in a really bad position as she has 3 more years to go with the 870 visa. And pretty much all the parent visa classes have this condition of not having a 870 visa. 

She's 62 at the moment and can you please suggest me the options I have. Thanks guys!

I’m really not sure what to advise and think you really need to seek advice from an agent.Firstly do you have any more brothers or sisters  as she would need to meet the balance of family test. Yes if you’ve applied for 870 you can’t apply for another parent visa. My suggestion would be to wait for 870 to finish and reapply for another for 3 years. By that time she would be old enough to apply for 864 parent visa. It would take years to get it but she would be allowed to remain onshore whilst waiting. if she applies for 143 she could apply onshore but would have to wait offshore. The 870 was mostly introduced because the wait time for 143 was getting so long and it enabled people to spend some if that time waiting on shore. The only problem is that in order to apply for another 870 she would have to leave Australia for 3 months before she could reapply - plus the processing time as well. 

9 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

The only problem is that in order to apply for another 870 she would have to leave Australia for 3 months before she could reapply - plus the processing time as well. 

And in the unlikely event that the pandemic is still running in three years time, she would not be able to return.

16 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

I’m really not sure what to advise and think you really need to seek advice from an agent.Firstly do you have any more brothers or sisters  as she would need to meet the balance of family test. Yes if you’ve applied for 870 you can’t apply for another parent visa. My suggestion would be to wait for 870 to finish and reapply for another for 3 years. By that time she would be old enough to apply for 864 parent visa. It would take years to get it but she would be allowed to remain onshore whilst waiting. if she applies for 143 she could apply onshore but would have to wait offshore. The 870 was mostly introduced because the wait time for 143 was getting so long and it enabled people to spend some if that time waiting on shore. The only problem is that in order to apply for another 870 she would have to leave Australia for 3 months before she could reapply - plus the processing time as well. 

Thank you Linda! We have no other brothers or sisters. It's just me and my sister and we both are here in Australia. I'm actually looking got an agent, but just overwhelmed with the Google researches as there are so many. 

Do you think if we wait for the 870 visa to finish (yes she will be 65 by that time.), and apply for 864 visa first. And apply for 870 visa after that (say after a week's time), and once she gets 870 visa, she can return back to Australia. And with the 864 visa application, how does it work until it's being processes? Can we apply for a bridging visa?
To be honest, all we need is some sort of visa for her to stay here with us, and I've always had a visiter health cover for her and she stays with us. Thanks!

40 minutes ago, Indikaya said:

Thank you Linda! We have no other brothers or sisters. It's just me and my sister and we both are here in Australia. I'm actually looking got an agent, but just overwhelmed with the Google researches as there are so many. 

Do you think if we wait for the 870 visa to finish (yes she will be 65 by that time.), and apply for 864 visa first. And apply for 870 visa after that (say after a week's time), and once she gets 870 visa, she can return back to Australia. And with the 864 visa application, how does it work until it's being processes? Can we apply for a bridging visa?
To be honest, all we need is some sort of visa for her to stay here with us, and I've always had a visiter health cover for her and she stays with us. Thanks!

I’m sorry but she won’t be old enough when first 870 finishes to apply for 864. It’s currently 66.5 years old  to qualify and going up to 67 in 2023. That’s why I suggested going for another 3 year 870. 

864 is applied for onshore and is given a bridging visa to stay until it’s  granted many many years in the future. So you wouldn’t need 870 in that scenario. Same time length as 143 as in same queue. At end of first 870 you will therefore need to find another visa for 3 years to enable her to stay so that she’s old enough to apply for 864. The only one I can think of apart from  870 is 600 visa. This is given to parents who have a parent application already in (143)  for three years but only allows a 12 month stay in any 18 months. So with either of those options your mother would be out of Australia for 3-6 months. 

Given your mother’s age I can’t see a way to keep her there other than the ways I’ve mentioned but hopefully a good agent such as those who sometimes comment in these forums might help more. Most will offer a freebie chat first - I believe @Alan Collett does that 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Indikaya said:

Try Suncoast Migration or Go Matilda

• Like 1

On 03/07/2021 at 21:24, Marisawright said:

Try Suncoast Migration or Go Matilda

Thank you. I would prefer someone in Sydney so that I can talk to them in person when the lockdown is over. Please let me know if you know anyone. Thanks

14 hours ago, Indikaya said:

Thank you. I would prefer someone in Sydney so that I can talk to them in person when the lockdown is over. Please let me know if you know anyone. Thanks

You limit your options if you want to meet someone in person ... Zoom or an equivalent is your friend!    🙂 

Best regards.

• Like 3