CTP premiums

GrandpaGrumble

Our insurer has just given us a quote for CTP that's 22% higher than last year.  None of the rating factors have changed apart from us being a year older.

Is this a general trend, or time for us to look for a new insurer?  There might be legitimate reasons like a big increase in claims, just wondering what other people are finding?

What state? In SA they all seem to charge about the same and it has reduced. Also they are providing incentives like cash back or vouchers.  Mind you it only recently changed from a monopoly provider so competition has helped.

Price is based on type of vehicle and use with some concessions available

Edited by rammygirl

I used to work in the insurance industry.  This is what we call "the lazy tax".  Your insurer knows you are the kind of person who just renews with them every year, so they can afford to keep increasing your premium, knowing you won't check the market.

You should always get competitive quotes from other insurers every single year, for all your insurances.    New customers get discounts and special offers, existing customers do not. 

I'm afraid these days, insurance companies punish you for your loyalty!

I do this but for CTP there isn’t much choice in SA only 4 or 5 providers approved by gov 

Tried for community title insurance as it has gone up loads. Around $550 (shared by two properties) to insure a 2 square meter of ground with power and water meters on! Very few underwriters for this so all the same really whatever insurer you ask.  One broker said is was money making as hardly anyone makes a claim.  I did save considerably on car and house insurance as far more competition.