Job offer

Hi all

I have just received a conditional job offer from Tas and wondering if anyone is in a similar position to me? 

We will be moving over from the UK with 3 children. 

Does anyone know how long the critical worker visa processing times are? 

Any advice on emigrating to Tas welcomed 🙂

So excited! 

9 hours ago, Searchingforsun said:

Hi 

Thanks for your replies. 

I have a guideline of timescales  now from my employer . 

It is for a 190 PR Visa  . 

OK, so the processing time for that will be at least a year and there is no guarantee you will even be invited.

If the employer is really genuine about offering you a job (and it's not just a "If you can get a visa we'll see what we can do"), they would be offering you a 186 DE, which is an employer-sponsored visa. It does require them to hire an agent and supply a lot of paperwork.  Asking them if they're willing to consider that, would give you some idea how serious they are about hiring you.

On 30/06/2021 at 00:54, Searchingforsun said:

Hi all

I have just received a conditional job offer from Tas and wondering if anyone is in a similar position to me? 

We will be moving over from the UK with 3 children. 

Does anyone know how long the critical worker visa processing times are? 

Any advice on emigrating to Tas welcomed 🙂

So excited! 

Very exciting for you! My understanding is that critical sector visa's (PMSOL) are very quickly turned around. You may want to revisit the visa option with your employer and look into a 186DE instead of a 190 as it will likely be quicker if you are definitely on the PMSOL

I would definitely advise to follow your dreams and try not to listen to the negative noise. I was told the same things on this forum when I came over here on a 482 in early 2020 (just as COVID was emerging around the world) and I am permanent resident 16 months later. I also had my visa (non-PMSOL) turned around in 60 days. Just stay informed and do your research.

All the best!

Edited by mallan82450
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, mallan82450 said:

Very exciting for you! My understanding is that critical sector visa's (PMSOL) are very quickly turned around. You may want to revisit the visa option with your employer and look into a 186DE instead of a 190 as it will likely be quicker if you are definitely on the PMSOL

I would definitely advise to follow your dreams and try not to listen to the negative noise. I was told the same things on this forum when I came over here on a 482 in early 2020 (just as COVID was emerging around the world) and I am permanent resident 16 months later. I also had my visa (non-PMSOL) turned around in 60 days. Just stay informed and do your research.

All the best!

I'll second this and my experience of getting a 190 through was very fast. Doors sometimes open when you don't expect them to so keep yourself informed, don't listen to the negative noise from the usual suspects and don't give up if the opportunity looks like it should be a realistic offer and opportunity.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your comments and experiences. 

I am very confident it's a genuine offer, I have had all the offer letter through and paperwork etc and they have been great at keeping in contact regarding processes. I've also met members of the team virtually etc and have also linked in with other healthcare professionals who will be working in the region and are awaiting visas.

I am having to wait for the state to allow EOIs again (should be july) but I have been told the 190 visa turn around can vary between 30 days and 9 months with the average 190s turning around in approx 4 months at the moment. 

To be honest that timescale suits me as it gives me time to prepare 😁

• Like 1

Hi OP,

I’m a mental health nurse also waiting for 190 EOIs to open up again, have you heard something official about Tas offshore applications opening in July? I’m looking out for QLD but so far when they have briefly opened up for submissions it’s been for onshore applicants only, which is pretty disheartening. 

Despite only having 80p (without state sponsorship) I’m considering just submitting an EOI for a 189 while I’m waiting as it doesn’t cost anything, might have missed the boat in terms of HCPs getting selected faster than usual and with less points but no harm in trying.

good luck!

39 minutes ago, Cobs_Ahoy said:

Hi OP,

I’m a mental health nurse also waiting for 190 EOIs to open up again, have you heard something official about Tas offshore applications opening in July? I’m looking out for QLD but so far when they have briefly opened up for submissions it’s been for onshore applicants only, which is pretty disheartening. 

Despite only having 80p (without state sponsorship) I’m considering just submitting an EOI for a 189 while I’m waiting as it doesn’t cost anything, might have missed the boat in terms of HCPs getting selected faster than usual and with less points but no harm in trying.

good luck!

Hiya,

Yes so it states on the tas website they are opening up again for state eoi in July and my new employer  has also spoken with them and verified this. 

I only have 65 points but my eoi was selected and sent to the department for state growth in tas which is how I got the interview and subsequent job offer.

I'm no expert on visas, I just knew I wanted/needed permanent residency so keeping my fingers crossed it all goes through. 

It is certainly worth a try and like you say there is no charge. Best of luck! Let us know how you get on 😃 

10 hours ago, Searchingforsun said:

Hiya,

Yes so it states on the tas website they are opening up again for state eoi in July and my new employer  has also spoken with them and verified this. 

I only have 65 points but my eoi was selected and sent to the department for state growth in tas which is how I got the interview and subsequent job offer.

I'm no expert on visas, I just knew I wanted/needed permanent residency so keeping my fingers crossed it all goes through. 

It is certainly worth a try and like you say there is no charge. Best of luck! Let us know how you get on 😃 

We need all the health professionals we can get here in Tasmania.  Hope all goes well for you   .............  it's a huge move from the UK to Tasmania for you and your family.

It's winter here and a bit on the chilly side.  We don't get the long, hot days that the mainland states get during summer.  

Which area of Tasmania are you hoping to move to?

• Like 1

Hi Toots

I am going to be based in Clarence. I'm currently looking at houses, schools etc although it's a bit early yet as I'm sure most of the rentals will be gone by the time we get across.

I think the Tas weather will suit us as it won't be too hot but we are of course hoping for a bit more sun and less torrential rain!

It really is a huge move and we have never been to Tas before so we are taking a big risk. 

27 minutes ago, Searchingforsun said:

Hi Toots

I am going to be based in Clarence. I'm currently looking at houses, schools etc although it's a bit early yet as I'm sure most of the rentals will be gone by the time we get across.

I think the Tas weather will suit us as it won't be too hot but we are of course hoping for a bit more sun and less torrential rain!

It really is a huge move and we have never been to Tas before so we are taking a big risk. 

Most Australians will look at you blankly if you say Clarence - although it has a city council, it's pretty much a suburb of Hobart. 

I love Hobart.  Being the main centre for the whole of Tasmania, it has more amenities and entertainment than you'd expect for a city of that size, and yet it's still got a spectacular natural setting.   

Clarence is on the north side nearer the airport.   If you stay around Clarence, you're pretty much in the middle of nowhere, and there are some rough suburbs round about.  Driving in Hobart is so easy with hardly any traffic (compared to the UK anyway!) that you could stay closer to the city, to be closer to good schools and work for your partner.   The drive from Hobart city centre to Clarence would only be 15 to 20 minutes. 

The best idea is to book an AirBnB or holiday let for a full month when you arrive, and drive around to get to know the areas. It's easy to identify the suburbs you'd be happy to live in. Check out Homely.com.au for suburb reviews.   One of my favourites is Bellerive, which has a nice little town centre, and parts of Howrah.  

https://www.homely.com.au/search/suburbs-in-greater-hobart-tasmania

Don't get your hopes up too much about the weather.  Hobart gets real winters with snow on the mountain.  Summer is very changeable, hot and sunny one day and freezing or pouring rain the next.  I've been there at Christmas (i.e. midsummer) with my North Face jacket and woolly hat on.   That said, weather is not the be-all and end-all - and being in Hobart, you can just hop on a plane to Queensland for a sunny holiday.

Edited by Marisawright

44 minutes ago, Searchingforsun said:

Hi Toots

Rightio Hobart   ..............  blinked when you said Clarence   .............  had to look it up.  😁  I don't get down to Hobart that often but it is a lovely wee place.  The suburbs Marisa mentioned are very nice too.  There are a few 'rough' suburbs just as you find in most large towns/cities.  Rentals seem to be quite hard to find these days and are so much more expensive than they were not that long ago.  

We live in Devonport on the north west coast.  We retired here from Sydney.  When we stay with friends on the south west coast of Tassie (beautiful area) we sometimes pay a visit to Hobart on the way home.  A good chance to go to a nice restaurant/pub and do a bit of shopping.

Marisa also mentioned how cold it can get even in summer.  We had friends from Ireland who visited Tassie a few years ago at Christmas time and it was really hot.  So very changeable weather.  You get used to it though.  😉

5 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Most Australians will look at you blankly if you say Clarence - although it has a city council, it's pretty much a suburb of Hobart. 

Hobart resident here!  😀

Clarence is a region within the Greater Hobart area:  it's the name of the council area on the eastern shore of the Derwent River/harbour.    It's a fairly large area (390 square miles) and encompasses suburbs, beaches (both surf and riverside),  small acreages, rural agricultural land (including vineyards) and the airport.  No way would you be "in the middle of nowhere" if you lived anywhere in Clarence.  It's one of the fastest growing (population wise) areas of Tasmania and, by Tasmanian standards, traffic from Clarence to the Hobart CBD can be a pain at peak times as it's constricted by one main bridge across the harbour.   (It takes only 1 bingle and traffic backs up for miles in all directions.  🙄)  

Re the weather:  other Australians (known as "mainlanders" here ) do carry on about the weather but Hobart is actually the second driest capital city in the country (after Adelaide).  When I've compared the  climate to the UK it comes closest to the Channel Isles.  (That's in the coastal, most populated areas.  On the west coast and in the highlands it's obviously different).  We do have 4 distinct seasons, unlike the more northern parts of Australia and, mercifully, don't have the extended oppressively hot summers of mainland Australia.  Have to confess I've never felt the need to hop on a plane to Queensland for a sunny holiday.  😀

I don't know what your budget will be for housing but one of the negatives for new arrivals is that both purchase and rental prices have gone absolutely bonkers here recently.  Hobart used to have the cheapest residential  prices of all capital cities but that is no longer the case. 

Tasmania has been described as the most "British" of Australian states:  not so much of a culture shock as some other parts of the country can be.  There are certainly many British migrants here.

Anyway, ask away if you have any questions.

6 minutes ago, Skani said:

I don't know what your budget will be for housing but one of the negatives for new arrivals is that both purchase and rental prices have gone absolutely bonkers here recently.  Hobart used to have the cheapest residential  prices of all capital cities but that is no longer the case. 

Prices have certainly gone bonkers by Tasmanian standards, but the median house price is still half the price of Sydney and two-thirds the price of Melbourne or Canberra.   And I did specifically compare Hobart traffic to British traffic.  I hate driving but I found driving around Hobart a real pleasure.  By the standard of the rest of Tasmania, where the roads felt deserted to me even at the height of tourist season, I appreciate that it's probably horrendous!

As I'm a died-in-the-wool city girl, I guess my definition of "the middle of nowhere" isn't the same as yours 🙂

Edited by Marisawright

7 hours ago, Searchingforsun said:

We just arrived in Tassie a few weeks ago from the UK and have found the weather to be great so far for 'winter' we are presently up in Launceston lots of sunny days early morning and nights are chillier. We rented an airbnb for a few weeks then have a short term rental before we decide where to settle.

Tassie is a lovely place and I am sure that you love it here its a risk but hey what's a life without risk but being here finally for us is super. My other half had never been here before we moved permanently with our fur kid as loves it already. We are not sorted for everything yet but am quite chilled about it as its easy to go with the flow and a nice slower pace of life at the moment until we have to start work.

Edited by Heading4Tassie

2 hours ago, Heading4Tassie said:

We just arrived in Tassie a few weeks ago from the UK and have found the weather to be great so far for 'winter' we are presently up in Launceston lots of sunny days early morning and nights are chillier. We rented an airbnb for a few weeks then have a short term rental before we decide where to settle.

Tassie is a lovely place and I am sure that you love it here its a risk but hey what's a life without risk but being here finally for us is super. My other half had never been here before we moved permanently with our fur kid as loves it already. We are not sorted for everything yet but am quite chilled about it as its easy to go with the flow and a nice slower pace of life at the moment until we have to start work.

Hi how did your dogs cope with the move?

Hi all 

Thanks for all the comments..it is great to connect with people that already live in Tas. 

Thanks for clarifying the clarence thing..I am working in 'clarence' but it looks like we can live anywhere within a 30 min radius. 

It's so useful to know the good and not do good areas. Bellerive is somewhere we have looked at rentals online.

We need a 4 bedroom and theres not much to choose from so we may have to settle for a 3 bed but to be honest we want to buy as soon as we can once we have figured out areas and schools etc. 

Re. The weather..we are prepared for a climate similar to the UK with less rain so our expectations arent too high and I dont think our children would cope with it being too hot. 

We also have 2 dogs who are coming with us eventually after staying with my Mum for a bit initially ..so 3 kids and 2 dogs is going to be one hefty move but it will be worth it I am sure. 

Although I cant believe the price of getting the dogs across 😬😔

• Like 2

On 03/07/2021 at 00:00, Phil1712 said:

Hi how did your dogs cope with the move?

He is 10 1/2 yrs and quite an anxious rescue dog but he coped admirably. He even had 5 nights boarding after PEQ and then flew pet charter to tassie. He is settling in fine and none the worse for his 3 flights and quarantine. He was perhaps a bit slimmer than when he left home but in very good health and condition. Think I was more anxious about him than anything else but he super happy he is here and has plenty of space now 😀

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Heading4Tassie said:

He is 10 1/2 yrs and quite an anxious rescue dog but he coped admirably. He even had 5 nights boarding after PEQ and then flew pet charter to tassie. He is settling in fine and none the worse for his 3 flights and quarantine. He was perhaps a bit slimmer than when he left home but in very good health and condition. Think I was more anxious about him than anything else but he super happy he is here and has plenty of space now 😀

Just be aware of snakes during summer/warm weather.  It's great just now as our little dog can run around anywhere but I am a bit paranoid about him tackling a snake - which he would do - around longer grassy areas and wooded places during the summer months.