Maintaining a UK phone number in Aus

GeeBee

Hi,

I've been in Sydney for a couple of years now and have used a new Australian phone and number since arrival.

I brought my UK phone and kept it in a drawer for use mainly for online authentication texts for UK banks and services. 

I switched to PAYG over a year ago and I've found it's now expired and is no longer active.

Any tips on how to get and maintain another UK number? It's literally just for online authentication and perhaps for use on trips back to the UK. The obvious is to get another sim posted over but I suspect there may be better ways. 

Thanks

1 hour ago, GeeBee said:

Hi,

I've been in Sydney for a couple of years now and have used a new Australian phone and number since arrival.

I brought my UK phone and kept it in a drawer for use mainly for online authentication texts for UK banks and services. 

I switched to PAYG over a year ago and I've found it's now expired and is no longer active.

Any tips on how to get and maintain another UK number? It's literally just for online authentication and perhaps for use on trips back to the UK. The obvious is to get another sim posted over but I suspect there may be better ways. 

Thanks

You could maybe try vodafone as they service both countries.

Thanks every one for their responses.

I spent some time on an online chat with the provider (Three.co.uk) to try and get the existing number to work again (it did still go to my recorded answerphone).

We tried turning on roaming (it certainly used to be on) but after waiting 4 hours, still didn't work.

Then manually set the network to Vodafone and it picked up the signal again (instead of reading SOS Only)

Steps on an iPhone for anyone interested:

- Home > Settings > Mobile Data > Network Selection > Disable Automatic network selection > Select Vodafone

They said I need to use the phone every 6 months or it gets disabled (likely the issue). To do this I needed to top up with PAYG credit (just 5 pounds) once every six months to keep it active, so I've put reminders in my diary.

----

Regarding the virtual numbers - thanks Ken - these did look useful if you're using the phone regulalry and I didn't know about them. However the monthly cost was a bit steep (8 pounds a month) for what I was using it for.

Thanks again all

• Like 2