Hi,

I have an EOI submitted for the 491 family but am considering putting in EOI for 189 in mid Sept once I can get more points for experience. I'm a registered nurse in UK. In Sept I will have 65 points for 189 without doing English exam again (have already done it twice but failed to get full marks as find exam situations extremely stressful). Am I likely to be invited for 189 with 65 points? Or am I going to have to do English exam to get points to 75. 

Hope this makes sense

TIA

In the early days of the pandemic, doctors and nurses were being picked out of the visa queues with very low scores.  I have no idea whether that's still happening - however I saw on another thread, someone saying that the Priority List only applies to employer-sponsored visas now, so that's not promising.

If you're not going to get any special treatment as a nurse, then you need 95 or 100 points to get a 189.

Nearly everyone has to do the English exam, very few people can get enough points without it.

Edited by Marisawright

On 27/06/2021 at 16:23, louwilkins said:

Hi,

I have an EOI submitted for the 491 family but am considering putting in EOI for 189 in mid Sept once I can get more points for experience. I'm a registered nurse in UK. In Sept I will have 65 points for 189 without doing English exam again (have already done it twice but failed to get full marks as find exam situations extremely stressful). Am I likely to be invited for 189 with 65 points? Or am I going to have to do English exam to get points to 75. 

Hope this makes sense

TIA

If you already have AHPRA registration, try for employer sponsorship jobs. Many hospitals/age care are willing to give sponsorship to nurses having experience from the UK/US/Ireland. Because for 189, it will be a long shot requiring more points and patience as well.

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/06/2021 at 20:53, louwilkins said:

Hi,

Hope this makes sense

TIA

In a nutshell, forget about the 189. The 2020/21 budget decreased Skilled Independent Visa quotas to 6,500. That basically means they’re not interested in granting them. 

Edited by littlefoot