Is this possible?

Martinbjulieb

My husband has a possible opportunity to work back in Australia for 3 years before he retires. I would stay in the UK as our children are at uni and college. Would it be possible for him to travel back 2/3 times per year and then re enter Australia? I am specifically thinking of Covid. He has had his vaccinations. We are all Australian citizens and lived in Perth between 2007-2017.  Any advice?? TIA. 

3 minutes ago, Martinbjulieb said:

My husband has a possible opportunity to work back in Australia for 3 years before he retires. I would stay in the UK as our children are at uni and college. Would it be possible for him to travel back 2/3 times per year and then re enter Australia? I am specifically thinking of Covid. He has had his vaccinations. We are all Australian citizens and lived in Perth between 2007-2017.  Any advice?? TIA. 

No he won’t be able to do that under the current measures which are unlikely to change for sometime.   Any resident in Australia can only leave if they can get an exemption which is for exceptional circumstances and popping back to see family won’t be one of them.   

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

No he won’t be able to do that under the current measures which are unlikely to change for sometime.   Any resident in Australia can only leave if they can get an exemption which is for exceptional circumstances and popping back to see family won’t be one of them.   

Yes I would plan on that being the case until end of 2022. After that I would expect people will be able to travel again overseas.

• Like 1

Even if he was granted an exemption to leave Australia (which he wouldn't be), he will find it extremely difficult getting a flight to Australia never mind several this year, and he would have to pay for 2 weeks quarantine each time he returned. Until the borders reopen, this plan will not work.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rtritudr said:

Is his employer willing to pay for the exorbitant airfares for the family travel? If so then he should be fine provided that he knows how to handle two weeks of mandatory hotel quarantine upon each entry into Australia.

How will he be fine? It’s not down to cost it’s down to whether he could get repeated exemptions which he wouldn’t get.  I’m sure there are plenty of wealthy people stuck in Australia not being able to visit family because of the restrictions in place, nothing to do with cost. 

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

How will he be fine? It’s not down to cost it’s down to whether he could get repeated exemptions which he wouldn’t get.  I’m sure there are plenty of wealthy people stuck in Australia not being able to visit family because of the restrictions in place, nothing to do with cost. 

Good point, somehow I was thinking of the reverse scenario where he is working abroad and needs to return to visit family here (in which case he would be ordinarily resident overseas and not subject to exemptions).

You are right, working in Australia and visiting family abroad is not allowed in general.